Bob Costas Gun Control Statement (Read 1054 times)

xor

How many pigs are you taking out at one time?

FSocks

KillJoyFuckStick

Mods, can this user group please be renamed to Rants and Raves.  

Thank you,

FSocks

You people have issues 

npaden

Not enough.  Texas is getting completely overrun by feral hogs.  They even do aerial gunning for them out of helicopters using those dreaded semiautomatic firearms with high capacity magazines and still aren't really making a dent in the population.  They cause millions of dollars of crop and property damage annually and are negatively impacting native wildlife pretty dramatically. 

MTA: They actually taste pretty good although they don't have much fat on them like a domestic pig would.  No bacon or anything like that.  I generally put them on the smoker for a day or so.

Current PR's:  Mara 3:14:36* (2017); HM 1:36:13 (2017); 10K 43:59 (2014); 5K 21:12 (2016)

xor

Yes.  They are bad news in Hawai'i too (and worse news, actually, in several respects).

But I was really asking you a serious question.  When you go hog hunting with your rapid fire weapon, how many are you taking down at one time?  And what do you do with them?  (sincere logistics question)

Feeling the growl again

Yes.  They are bad news in Hawai'i too (and worse news, actually, in several respects).

But I was really asking you a serious question.  When you go hog hunting with your rapid fire weapon, how many are you taking down at one time?  And what do you do with them?  (sincere logistics question)

Well, I recently went deer hunting with a dreaded semi-automatic 44 Magnum carbine.  Deer run awfully fast so when I jumped a group the semi-auto was a big help over the single shot muzzleloader on my back.   I took three down in a few seconds.  Since I only had one day afield this was a big deal.

I spent the next two days processing them, and the meat is going to help feed 4 families (including another RAer) through the next year with extra lean meat.

Pigs well, I would do my best to find someone who could use them.  But that's getting close to what coyotes are around here...destructive, over-populated vermin that have to be controlled even if they can't be utilized totally.  Coyotes are wily, so I don't get many, and so far I have been able to find someone who wants the pelt.  But unlike deer I would not feel awful if I could not find something to do except bury it...I think pigs fall into this category as well.  

npaden, is it actually hard to find someone to take them?  I've seen the helo hunting videos....30-odd pigs stacked up...that's a LOT of processing!!

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

Not enough.  Texas is getting completely overrun by feral hogs.  They even do aerial gunning for them out of helicopters using those dreaded semiautomatic firearms with high capacity magazines and still aren't really making a dent in the population.  They cause millions of dollars of crop and property damage annually and are negatively impacting native wildlife pretty dramatically. 

MTA: They actually taste pretty good although they don't have much fat on them like a domestic pig would.  No bacon or anything like that.  I generally put them on the smoker for a day or so.

There were 2 last winter in the neighborhood where we run. It's not on the edge of town, so it's odd to me that they would be there. Thank goodness we weren't running that morning. I'm not sure my little can of pepper spray would've been much help.
              zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mods, can this user group please be renamed to Rants and Raves.  

Thank you,

FSocks

No.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

For starters, it's not a user group.

Tiefsa

Tief - .  Less guns would equal less death, 

Boiler Tom - Really? Can you back up that statement? 

Tief - Here's proof.

"Violent crime rates have been falling in recent years, but the number of people killed by firearms in the United States remains high.  According to the FBI Uniform Crime Report, between 2006 and 2010 47,856 people were murdered in the U.S. by firearms, more than twice as many as were killed by all other means combined." - http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/08/guns-in-america-a-statistical-look/

"But what about the country at the other end of the spectrum? What is the role of guns in Japan, the developed world's least firearm-filled nation and perhaps its strictest controller? In 2008, the U.S. had over12 thousand firearm-related homicides. All of Japan experienced only 11, fewer than were killed at the Aurora shooting alone. And that was a big year: 2006 saw an astounding two, and when that number jumped to 22 in 2007, it became a national scandal. By comparison, also in 2008, 587 Americans were killed just by guns that had discharged accidentally."

- http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2012/07/a-land-without-guns-how-japan-has-virtually-eliminated-shooting-deaths/260189/ 

Corrections:

1.  Handguns are not illegal in D.C. (They must be kept in the home, though.)

2.  States with stricter gun control laws experience fewer deaths from gun-related violence.  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/index.html

3.  Number of guns is correlated with more homicides.  http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/index.html

4.  Comparing death rate in a city (D.C.) to death rate in various states mixes apples and oranges.  And your data is from 2002.  In fact, D.C.'s firearms murder rate is declined significantly (19 per 100,000 in 2006-07 v. 31.2 per 100,000 in 2002) and is lower than many other cities, including Newark (25.4 per 100,000), Detroit (35.9), Oakland (26.6), Miami (23.7), St. Louis (24.1), Baltimore (29.7), Richmond VA (23.1), and good ol' New Orleans (62)  http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/pdf/wk/mm6018.pdf

5.  In 2008, 67% of the 16,000+ murders in the U.S. were by firearms.  http://www2.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2008/offenses/expanded_information/data/shrtable_09.html

Even those who read can favor sensible limits on gun ownership.  I still have no idea why anyone can purchase semiautomatic firearms, high capacity ammo magazines, and bullets built for maximum human destruction.  The only argument I've heard is that any restrictions will ultimately lead to total restrictions, which I don't find very convincing. 

Give Costas credit for speaking his mind on a hot-button topic -- and who cares if you don't agree?  Discourse is good and I can handle the 90-second diversion from the 10th football game of the day.  Put Ted Nugent on next week.  It's fine with me. 

"Save Cheevers", I will give you credit where credit is due.  You posted some great counterarguments there.   --- My attitude is kind of 'give up' one on guns as they are so prevalent, and anything banned in the USA would be produced by other countries at cheaper prices.  But I will admit one thing that worries me is in the past, Dem's were for more restrictive Gun control and Repubs of course primarily against gun control.  What we have seen lately is that even after events such as the shooting of the congresswoman in CA a year or so ago, or the massacre in the theater, even Obama and the Democrats have made no move towards addressing the problem.  It is as if both major political parties are saying "Well, that's the way things are nowadays, not much can be done about it"...

((Or maybe the NRA just got real smart and started giving Democrats as many campaign contributions as they gave to Republicans...Why buy just one side of the aisle when you can buy both?!)) 

The Plan '15 →   ///    "Run Hard, Live Easy."   ∞

JimR

I think cheevers was just correcting the cold hard facts.

carry on...

Big grin

-Really takes the "Hunt" out of the hunt when instead of one accurate shot to the heart, you can just fire off 20 rounds in 4 seconds and be sure of the kill!  You can be sure that pig is dead when the body is blown completely separate from the head. 

-- Just bring some bags to pick up all the pig parts that will be lying around everywhere after the "kill" shot(s).  Dead

I really think that we should ban bullets.

No, Guns and bullets are fun.  The spinning of a 6-shot revolver, the Cla-Clack of pulling back on a semi-auto, the distinctive sound that is made when you cock a shotgun and it loads a round into the chamber.  

--Leave guns and bullets alone.   Just ban the Firing pins.  

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Leave the innocent guns & bullets out of it: ban trigger fingers.

It's good to be reminded that hunting includes the disparate goals of "hunting for sport" and "hunting vermin".

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

Feeling the growl again

Big grin

-Really takes the "Hunt" out of the hunt when instead of one accurate shot to the heart, you can just fire off 20 rounds in 4 seconds and be sure of the kill!  You can be sure that pig is dead when the body is blown completely separate from the head. 

Someone needs to lay off the Rambo and Schwarzenegger movies.  Roll eyes

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills