1000Km-621 mile club

mileage question? (Read 164 times)

Maggie & Molly

Ok, I was benched for awhile because of issues with my knee. Then my Dr said that I can run but to keep it to a low roar. So I did that for awhile. As of today I've been given the all clear to run as much as I want. When I had to stop running I was up to a long run of 9 - 10 miles with shorter 3 - 5 mile runs throughout the week. Right now I'm running 3 miles or less 3 - 4 times a week. With the weather breaking (hopefully) I will be back outside so I'll be ready to up the miles. Anyway, the question is should I increase at 10% increments like a new runner or can I advance the miles faster than that? I do figure that I will be taking my knee into account and if I start to feel discomfort/pain I'll back off the miles but does anyone think there are any other restrictions/cautions I should take?

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
    Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I'd error on the side of caution and increase your mileage like you are a newbie. Start off slow and see how your knee does and then slowly increase. Your goal is to get back into running and keep it enjoyable, not to see how fast you can re-injure yourself. Wink When I started back with my ankle I started with the walk/jog and slowly increased until I could run the low mileage again. You notice I snuck a 4 miler in there after about two weeks. Roll eyes BUT SLOW is the key and make sure you ice if needed. Also be aware you knee might not feel discomfort while runniing and pay attention how it feels later later. What might feel good running may turn into pain later. Plan the next run accordingly. HAVE FUN! And Congrats for the release and keep us informed! Gayle

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Maggie & Molly

thanks Gayle. I'm pretty happy about it and will most definately take it easy since I dont' want to be side lined again. I'm pretty much able to run 3 right now without any issues so I'll slowly increase from there. Happy Day

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

I agree with Gayle to start out like a newbie. You don't want to end up in the same boat again with your knee and end up benched again! And congrats on being finally able to get back out there! Smile Knee problems are the worst. I have to do PT exercises 2x a day for my knees. Yesterday I stupidly got down on the ceramic tile floor with my kid, on my knees, for a 2-minute cotton ball race (you blow a cotton ball from one end of the hallway to the other... a lot more fun (and harder) than it sounds!!) but after that short 2 minutes, my knees were SCREAMING. I ended up icing them afterwards. I know better. Anyway sorry... your thread! I bet it feels good to get out there & kick that bunny's rear again, huh? Smile

Michelle

Maggie & Molly

Michelle ~~ I am so happy to be chasing that darn Rabbit again. Now if the weather can steady I will get outside instead of the boring dreadmill!!!!

Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363