1000Km-621 mile club

New incentive to make 1,000K (Read 374 times)

I just got back from the podiatrist, and he agrees that it's time for me to invest in custom orthotics. Long story, but he's awesome and I trust him completely, so I'm getting fitted for them next Friday. They're pretty expensive, but it I only increase my mileage 10 miles over 2007, they'll cost me about $1 per mile. So, . . . . . I'm thinking . . . . . the more miles I log, the lower the cost/mile of the orthotics, right? You can go ahead and call me cheap if you want, but I prefer to think of it as motivated. Smile Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Swadvad

You can go ahead and call me cheap if you want, but I prefer to think of it as motivated. Smile Eliz
      For me, that would be the pot calling the kettle black. Wink I'm with ya. If I spend money on something, it motivates me to try to get my money's worth. I'm currently experiencing some foot problems and may end up with the ortho's too. Sad Hope yours do well for you! D
        I have custom orthotics and love them - never run without them. I'm thinking of going to the podiatrist and getting fitted for a 2nd pair, since these ones are old and my feet have changed a bit (since they were made, I've had bunion surgery, and had a baby... oddly, feet really do grow a bit during pregnancy. Not sure how or why, but I was a size 8 shoe, now I'm 8.5). Anyway do it, I think. You won't be sorry!!

Michelle

Eliz, I have custom orthotics too, and absolutely love them. I had horrible shin splints and ITBS before I got them...all better now. They are super expensive, but my insurance covered them. I went to an orthopedic surgeon, who "prescribed" them for me b/c of my knee pain. You might want to look into whether your insurance will cover them. Best of luck, hope they help. Sara
            I guess I'm cheap, too. I will not retire shoes unless I get under $0.22/mile (Eric put the rate/mile on the shoes tab on the Training Log) . Smile I hope the orthotics help you!

I guess I'm cheap, too. I will not retire shoes unless I get under $0.22/mile (Eric put the rate/mile on the shoes tab on the Training Log) . Smile I hope the orthotics help you!
              I just retired a few pairs of shoes. One pair was 17 cents per mile, the other 9 cents per mile. I have two more pairs about ready to retire at 8 and 10 cents per mile. In fact, looking at my shoes, there are two pairs of trainers that are relatively new that are at 33 cents per mile, racing flats that are at 46 and 62 cents per mile, and another pair of trainers that I won so those are 0 cents per mile. The lone exception is a pair of trail shoes that are costing me $1.30/mile right now since I bought those shoes at full retail and only have around 70 miles in them so far (at the time that I bought those shoes, I also got a free pair of shoes for my wife that cost $40 more than them retail...) I think I have too many pairs of shoes to rotate between and for different conditions...

Run to Win
              25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

Great idea. I got custom orthotics last year in August from a sports clinic. They were expensive, but work covered much of the cost. They are also "custom" so in my case, it was a few tries to get them just right, all included in the price. Even fixed another problem (neuroma) that was waiting in the wings. I had significant piriformis problems before the orthotics. Argh! But, with the right shoes + orthotics, I haven't had a problem since. I did have to get larger shoes, though. I notice now that when I run, I run very softly and make very little noise, while before I think I was pounding/slapping quite a bit. I don't know whether they are connected or not. Running, depending on how much you run, can be pretty expensive between the clothing and the shoes and the races etc but it's worth it!

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

I just got back from the podiatrist, and he agrees that it's time for me to invest in custom orthotics. Long story, but he's awesome and I trust him completely, so I'm getting fitted for them next Friday.
                  Well do you have them yet? What do you think?

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Still waiting. <sigh> Doctor said it would take 2-3 weeks, and my fitting was 2 weeks ago yesterday. Did 6.2 miles in my older (150 miles) shoes today and felt OK, but not great. I'm sooooo anxious to get the orthotics. Promise to post a full report - thanks for asking! Eliz</sigh>

flomotioncoaching.com