1000Km-621 mile club

Goals for 2008? (Read 293 times)

Hi, folks. i'm just wondering what your running goals are for this year. i get the 1000km thing, but what are you wanting to do with that? Are you training for an event? Want to get faster? Go farther? What has you putting your shoes on and running?

Maggie & Molly

I don't run all that many miles (like you I have an injury I'm trying to recover from) but I run for the health benefits and to hopefully lose a bit of the junk in my trunk. Oh and I run for my own sense of being.

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
      Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

What injury caught you?

Maggie & Molly

well it looks like I've got a IT band overuse issue and while the DR was checking things out he determined that I have a bit of arthritis under my left knee. At the same time he also saw that my left kneecap tends to move to the side so it is a bit out of alignment. That causes friction which aggravates the arthritis. Oh the drama of getting old. So, I've been told to reduce the running to see how things do and I've also started taking glucosamine (can't hurt I figure).

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
          Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

My goals are to have fun, and aim for 20 miles a week. It's hard when you have other workout stuff to do. Like weights, etc. I need to drop 10 lbs before June, as my husband and I are headed for Alaska for 2 months. I just signed up for a fitness bootcamp, that starts at 5:30 in the morning, so hopefully that will help. I want to get in better shape, and gain some control over my eating and drinking habits. Oh, the main thing is to be consistent. I will be happy if I can maintain some normalcy.

- Anya

i feel like glucosamine helps me; thanks to genetics i have cruddy knees (to go along with my stupid feet and bad ankles), and the cartilege behind my kneecaps is bumpy. i make disgusting noises whenever i bend my knees.
                Hi, folks. i'm just wondering what your running goals are for this year. i get the 1000km thing, but what are you wanting to do with that? Are you training for an event? Want to get faster? Go farther? What has you putting your shoes on and running?
                Goals for 2008 1. Be consistant in my running 2. Try and hit between 1000k and 1000 Miles 3. Spring - 5Ks, Sumer - 10K and Nov. - 1/2 Marathon What has me putting on my shoes and running? I want to enjoy the journey of getting fit (and losing some weight) and enjoying myself. I want to learn to enjoy the running for itself which gives me the benefits of being healthy and in shape. I want this to become part of my lifestyle that is FUN and enjoyable. The above goals should help me along this path. Make sense?

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

I run to stay in shape for the spring-fall hiking season! Initially I started for weight loss but quickly realized that's not what running is for. I am in good shape though, so that's a nice benefit. I have entered a race next month, and I might do a couple more 5ks this year but I'm not much of a racer. I run mainly to stay in shape for hiking and also for stress relief. I've been doing it long enough now that I can tell a huge difference in my shoulders when I don't run as often. And I get crabbier when I don't run, too. Tongue

Michelle

I run to stay in shape for the spring-fall hiking season!
                    That's why I originally started running! Then I discovered I kinda like running, especially trail running. Trail running doesn't love me so much and tried to eat my ankle, so I've been running on a rail-to-trail in town that is tree lined and asphalt paved. Can't wait for hte snow to melt to start hiking but I would like to get out an snowshoe. Unfortunately my snowshoe partner is out after foot surgery. Cry I've signed up for the Danksin Tri in Seattle (registration opened today) on a dare from another therapist in my building. She has 2 other friends that are going to join us. What the heck was I thinking? Now I have to train for a sprint triathlon! Shocked I'm also going to sign up for my first 5k next month. I guess my overall goal is to get in great shape, remove the rest of this extra weight (another 30 lbs), and just feel better overall. The races are just milestones to work towards. My other big goal is to get out hiking 2+ times a month. Real hikes, not fitness walks. Mountains. Trees. Backpacks. Get my money's worth out of that national park pass! MTA: Hey Michelle - where is that picture of Mt Rainer taken from? Looks like Indian Henry's. We are in the same neck of the woods and probably have a lot of the same pictures of the mountain. I'm going to try to get to Sunrise and Carbon River trails this year since I've never been to the north side of the mountain.
                    Have you got a flag?
                      Thread hijack here, sorry!! Tongue We are in the same neck of the woods! I live in Olympia, work in Tacoma. That picture is just taken from Paradise, on the main trail. I was finishing up the Lakes Trail counterclockwise (from Paradise, down to Reflection Lakes, up over Mazama Ridge, and back to Paradise). It was in October last year - the fall colors were amazing. Shocked It's a nice trail, fairly easy. Great views from Mazama Ridge, OMG! I had never been there before!! You should get to Paradise in the next few weeks and snowshoe. I was there this past weekend and it was absolutely AMAZING. Like a huge white playground. Here's a picture of me in the middle of Paradise meadows: It was stunningly gorgeous with the Tatoosh range in full view (the stubborn mountain had a hat of clouds on her the entire day). You've got to get out there before the snow melts!! My best friend has done the Danskin tri 3x. I have another friend who signed up today as well, she's doing it as a tag team with somebody else. They are both trying to convince me to do it, but I'm not a strong swimmer plus as I have a 5-year old and I work outside the home full-time (and then some...) I just don't have time to train for a tri. But best of luck to you!! I'll be there cheering on all of my friends!!

Michelle

I'm going to try to get to Sunrise and Carbon River trails this year since I've never been to the north side of the mountain.
                        Last comment: I much prefer the Sunrise side of the mountain. The views from Sunrise are the best, and the trails are gorgeous. Try to get to Grand Park if you can, it's really something to see. Carbon River, as you probably know, is a bit longer now since the road washed out, and I don't think they're going to replace it this time. Next summer, I think, my friend & I are going to do the Northern Loop. I've done pieces of it, but never the whole thing. My mom's done the Wonderland trail twice - quite the inspiration - I will do it too but not until my son is older. (as you can tell, backpacking is my passion, and I only run so that I can backpack better & faster so I can see more of the woods!!!).

Michelle

Continuing the thread hijack: Great Photo! I have got to get up there this winter. I tried the Wonderland 3 years ago and my reservations were the same week as torrential rains that washed out all of the foot bridges. So much damage the last couple of years, but my goal is still to do the WT in the next couple of years. I've heard that sunrise is spectacular but I've just been exploring the south side and the Olympics.
                          Have you got a flag?
                            I'm SO jealous!!!!!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

I've heard that sunrise is spectacular but I've just been exploring the south side and the Olympics.
                              The Olympics are my favorite place in the world. Doesn't matter what trail (although I'm partial to the High Divide - changed my avatar to a view of Olympus from the divide, taken last August), it's all pure gold in my opinion. I don't know why - some people are just drawn to certain areas I suppose. Smile

Michelle