1000Km-621 mile club

ljmamoreira - Oct 5th (Read 258 times)

NICE!  Super NICE....What a way to finish out your goal for the year.  Tell us about that trail run.  You left that bunny in the dirt!  Good job!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Thanks a lot, Gayle

Well, October 5 is a holiday in Portugal (Republic day, yesterday it was the centenary), and this year the temperatures have been unusually high (people still go to the beach). The weather yesterday was so fine that it'd be a sin not to go out. So, I drove up "my" mountain (the highest in Portuguese mainland, 2000m high), planning on running for around 15 km (~10 miles) through a known trail. Up at 1500m altitude, the temperature was nice, and I was feeling really good, high up, no one around.

After running 10 kms, I got to a point where I could return to the car (still some 5km away) or go some other way and explore a bit.  I chose the latter, and I'm glad I did so! I went to places I had never been, and even discovered a small birch forest I didn't know about.

By now (October) most migratory birds of prey have already left for their "winter holidays" in Africa, so I didn't see any. But its always so nice to run in the mountain, across the woods, around boulders, jumping over streams, with steep ascents and descends, drinking water from springs, watching signs of wildlife... You forget about the miles, and how far you still have to run to "call it a day". Definitely not like running on asphalt or in the track!

Now I have to try to catch the 1000mile bunny. It's going to be hard, but fun, weather I do get it or not.

It's been very nice running with you guys and gals, count me in for 2012!

Maggie & Molly

congrats on beating the bunny!

"It does not matter how slow you go so long as you do not stop."
        Wisdom of Confucius

HF 4363

Thanks for sharing.  If you ever take pictures along the way you will have to post.  What a wonderful way to spend a holiday. 

I'm going to have to try trail running.  Where I live it is lots of trees, wildlife along windy roads so I sometimes feel like out on a trail.  We have a trails here but I've been a bit nervous about being out on my own.  Plus they are usually mountain bike trails and one has to watch out a bike doesn't take out a runner.

Go get that 1,000 mile bunny!  Good luck!

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Cherrie, thanks!

Gayle, Your wish is my command! Smile

Here's a bit of a view from one of my favorite trails. It looks quite wild, but it really isn't. I ran most of the time on dirt roads, most of which are good enough for four-wheelers. There is a paved road at the bottom of the valley, a small town some 8km to the left, and a small village some 10 km to the right... And around here (in a 600km radius) there are no dangerous beasts: no bears, no wolf packs (but we do have ticks Sad)... Except for the winter, the weather is relatively mild. So the objective dangers of running in "my" mountain aren't really that great. Of course one can get hurt, but still...

I used to do a lot of mountaineering when I was younger, so I feel quite comfortable in the woods, and alone. Even so, I "conquered" my running trails gradually, never going too far out into ground I didn't know. It was not a plan, I just didn't feel at ease so I would turn back after some distance, and the next day would run a bit further, just because the uneasiness would settle in later. Maybe you can try this approach, I don't know. Anyway, I wish you nice runs, on trails or whatever!

I just saw this.....it sounds really nice.   I don't see a picture though.....  Sad

I'll have to try and get out on a trail.  I'm not worried about being on my own mostly....I run on my own.  What worries me is other people.  I've been followed twice.  Once I called the police and the other time I hid in the shadows of some trees until he gave up and drove away.  If I could find a running partner then I would very happy in trail running.  Big grin

I don't know what's with the picture, I link it here and it looks fine, but then it's gone. Anyway you can see it in

http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/43422865/1/PublicAlbum?h=986a97.

Gayle, I'd be happy to go out running with you, but maybe not today... Sorry! Smile

Those are frightening experiences, for sure. A lot more dangerous than anything I've ever faced. I wouldn't go out alone if I were you, either.

So, I hope you find a partner soon, because trails are great fun!

So long!

Ze Amoreira