1000Km-621 mile club

Is hiking acceptable? (Read 309 times)

I know that this is not a race so that each one can set his or her rules, but anyway I'd like to hear your opinion. Every once or twice a week I go hiking with my wife (she's a walker, rather than a runner) and I've been including these walking hikes in my mileage. Do you find this acceptable? Thanks! Jose
    Wingz

Professional Noob

I think that if they're miles to you then they're miles! I'll sometimes walk during my runs... especially down hills! I still count that as miles...

Roads were made for journeys...

Each to his own is my opinion, but personally I wouldn't include them in my 1000K mileage. The reason is I'm an avid hiker, have been for years and years. I am a recent runner, and I know first hand that hiking and running use different muscles. I have taken die-hard runners with me hiking and while they do ok, they tire out way before I do. It's just a different activity, in my opinion. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't count the miles the way you want to!! Smile

Michelle

Each to his own is my opinion......
          I agree, it's your log, your training,.... I like how you have it logged.... Big grin

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

I walk during my lunch at work, and my husband and I sometimes hike on the weekends. I don't count them. I log them under my cross training activities. There was a time when I was actually walking more than running! But, to each, his own. Smile

- Anya

Ok, thanks for your input. I think that I'll also start logging my hikes as cross training activities, instead of running. Cheers! Jose

Junior Amphibian

I don't mind including walking miles if they're part of a larger running program. But hiking seems like a completely different discipline than running to me. I wouldn't add them, personally.

"People ask why I run. I say, 'If you have to ask, you will never understand'. It is something only those select few know. Those who put themselves through pain, but know, deep down, how good it really feels." - Erin Leonard

You know, I was thinking about this last weekend as I was huffin' it up an ungodly amount of switchbacks and thought to myself "this is a lot harder than any run I've done, with no end in sight, and I still have to make it back to the car!!!!! Undecided Maybe I should include it on my log!" but then on the way down, I was not huffin' & puffin' and figured it'd just be cross training. But I can totally see why you'd want to include it -- it sure gets your heart rate up there, doesn't it? It's so great. I love hiking. I love sitting at the top of some peak or just somewhere with a nice view, knowing not very many people do what we do, and see the sights that we see - and it's so peaceful. I am going again on Saturday, but this time with my 5-year old so either we'll do something short & easy, or I'll be piggy-backin' 50+ pounds, and it'll be even harder than usual. Tongue

Michelle

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I love hiking, too, but I'm not very good at it! I think I'm too tentative, so I go very slowly. I find that the way down for me is harder than going up - my legs feel like jelly and I'm afraid I will trip. I think I just need to do it more! There are a lot of beautiful places in Maine to go.
                      People who hike fast should not be hiking. Wink Seriously -- there is no better way to go than to go slow. If you go too fast, you miss stuff, and you're not paying as much attention to your surroundings & could miss something! There's a time & place for hiking quickly... I remember high-tailing it out one blustery, snowy, freezing night when we got only 5 miles in and realized the weather was not going to cooperate & had to get out of there before it got too much windier, because we were hiking in a former burn area -- lots of trees were falling & it was a little scary. But other than situations like that, I think hiking slow is the way to go. Stop, take deep breaths of the clean, fresh air. Take a look around. Sit down, relax, have some water. That's what I prefer. (of course, that said, I can get annoyed hiking with my child sometimes, because he wants to stop every 4 steps!! I've learned since he was born though, that nature has an awful lot to offer, even if you only hike a mile! It's hard to get out of the mindset that you MUST reach your destination. Sometimes it's not about the destination!)

Michelle

Teresadfp

One day at a time

You made me feel better! I just made the mistake of hiking with three women who do triathlons, and they about killed me! I lost two toenails because of that trip. I don't think I'll accompany them on their trip next year!
                          I'm so sorry about your toenails!!! You're hiking with the wrong people! Wink Just because you CAN hike fast doesn't mean you SHOULD, in my opinion!! Maybe it's cause when I go on a hike without my husband or son, it's MY time, so I'm in absolutely no hurry to get back. Big grin

Michelle

I've been hiking quite a bit lately and LOVING it. It just really seems to sooth and cleanse my soul! Here's two site of the three sites we hiked to in the last couple of weeks. HawksBill Photobucket SpyRock Photobucket

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

Wow Gayle, those are beautiful views! I love rock outcrops like that. Makes you feel like you're on top of the world!!!

Michelle

I loved those hikes. We had to hike through a fresh burn to get to SpyRock but it was worth it! We've had way to much ran this last few weeks, but it has made for some very nice creeks and waterfalls. I have pictures of them but they don't see as nice as these pictues. As soon as the dogwoods start blooming here there will be MUCH more color around the waterfalls. Found one cave I want to hike to...there is suppose to be a nice waterfall just inside the cave. Smile