1000 Mile Club

Welcome to 2011 (Read 855 times)

Hey guys! I'm Matt too.....but a decade and some on from being a freshman in college! Wink

Last year I was on target for 1500 miles, I had run 833 miles by the end of July. Then I got relocated by my company and  I ran less than 70 miles in the last 5 months of the year. I never even made it to 1000.

I am back up and running and while I may spot the bunny a few miles in the early weeks I hope to be back level with him/her/it (does the 1000 mile bunny have a gender?) by about the end of Jan.

Nice to meet you all and happy trails for the start of 2011

2017 Goals
    1) Run more than 231 miles
    2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Maniac

Hi, My name is Ashley. I'm 28 years old and I have always hated running. I joined an elite club last year by attempting and completing a triathlon and it was crazy. I blasted through the biking part due to just sheer God given talent, but I honestly hate running. Every time I set out to run I get shin splints my ribs hurt and it's just boring to me. So I made a goal this year to run 1,000 miles in the year 2011. It's a LARGE goal for me but I made such a large goal to actually accomplish a few things 1. to learn to enjoy running, 2. find myself, 3. lose weight, and 4. be a better person mentally, physically and spiritually. After downloading a book on my Kindle I started reading about running and it mentioned this website as a mileage tracker and while playing around I found this group. So please feel free to blow up my email if I start to slack off, I'm trying to stay on a good pace and work in time to run between working 40 hours, attending nursing school at night, friends, family, and working in the other goal of bicycling 1,000 miles this year.

Hi Ashley.....You sound like a lot of people I've met who do triathalons (I've never done a tri, but I know people who have)....They all seem to have one component they love and are good at, and one component they hate (at least more than the others). 

You probably want to make your running log public, so we can give you grief when/if you start slacking off.

Marathon Maniac #6740

Goals for 2015:

Run 3 marathons (modified:  Run 2 marathons--Lost Dutchman 02/2015 and Whiskey Row 05/2015)

Run a 50-miler (Ran a 53.8 mile race 11/14/2015)

Run 1,500 miles (uhhh...how about 1,400?)

Stay healthy

Lizard-82

Hi Ashley.....You sound like a lot of people I've met who do triathalons (I've never done a tri, but I know people who have)....They all seem to have one component they love and are good at, and one component they hate (at least more than the others). 

You probably want to make your running log public, so we can give you grief when/if you start slacking off.

Yeah that's the way most people are at triathlons. Especially in my area, most are out there just to have fun, workout, and the experience to see if you can actually make it. It seems to be the same people keep doing marathons because they want to beat their last time so you prepare more each year. I live in the Gulf Coast so we don't have too many marathons I assume because of the heat and humidity.

I changed my setting so feel free to heckle me, but may I ask for a pardon for this month. I have realized that I took on a HUGE challenge for someone who has never run, so I'm battling injuries from not knowing how to run and trying to find a correct stride. I'm pushing through though I pulled my knee about a week ago and am realizing that I can't run far distances so I'm limiting myself to 20 minutes running and then a long cool down but trying to repeat it to get in the miles. If anyone has any suggestions I'm happy to get some help. I was a ballet dancer as a kid so my knees naturally hyper-extend so I'm trying to focus on not allowing them to bend backwards while running. So I really don't know if I did that or if my ankle or quad was tight when I ran so it caused me to miss a stride. It's my left knee on the inside and hurts as I bend or straighten my leg during exertion only. As I cool down it gets better and then usually within 10 minutes of being off the treadmill it doesn't hurt anymore.

Jana K

Yeah that's the way most people are at triathlons. Especially in my area, most are out there just to have fun, workout, and the experience to see if you can actually make it. It seems to be the same people keep doing marathons because they want to beat their last time so you prepare more each year. I live in the Gulf Coast so we don't have too many marathons I assume because of the heat and humidity.

I changed my setting so feel free to heckle me, but may I ask for a pardon for this month. I have realized that I took on a HUGE challenge for someone who has never run, so I'm battling injuries from not knowing how to run and trying to find a correct stride. I'm pushing through though I pulled my knee about a week ago and am realizing that I can't run far distances so I'm limiting myself to 20 minutes running and then a long cool down but trying to repeat it to get in the miles. If anyone has any suggestions I'm happy to get some help. I was a ballet dancer as a kid so my knees naturally hyper-extend so I'm trying to focus on not allowing them to bend backwards while running. So I really don't know if I did that or if my ankle or quad was tight when I ran so it caused me to miss a stride. It's my left knee on the inside and hurts as I bend or straighten my leg during exertion only. As I cool down it gets better and then usually within 10 minutes of being off the treadmill it doesn't hurt anymore.

Hi Ashley,

You seem to be getting a lot of attention on this thread Smile  I hope it helps!  I ran a lot 16 years ago then 12 years ago stopped abruptly after a marathon I completed.  I only started back up 3 years ago and am stronger than ever.  In the past 3 years I have also started competing in sprint triathlons after having a baby.  If there is any advice I have for you for starting up running, it's to start slow.  It's very important to listen to your body and not increase your mileage per week by more than 10 percent.  This will be very little increase in the beginning.  Starting off with 10 miles a week is a lot for a non runner.  Don't put too much pressure on yourself or you will get injured and the goal will be lost any way.  Starting easy and working  your way up is a good way to get into running and enjoy it.  As you get stronger you will be able to go longer and faster if that's what you are looking for.  Either way, it's a safer way to complete your goal of 1000 mi per year.  Once you build up your mileage, you will hopefully be able to make up for the lack of miles you were able to log while becoming a "runner".  If you end up falling short of your goal by the end of the year, but you enjoy running, I say that's a far better goal you have reached and you'll always have next year to kick that bunny's arse!  Good luck!

Running Rev'd

Hi everyone! I didn't quite sign up at the beginning of the year, but with a month under my belt, I think 1000 miles will be a good goal for me: something challenging to keep me consistent but not unachievable.

Nice to meet you all!

Called to Endure - Blog

"Everyone gets the sunset. Only the dedicated earn the sunrise."