1000 Mile Club

Finally made it to Page 1 (Read 584 times)

OUCH. Today I ran just under 14 miles, on the treadmill since I was the only one home with my youngest son. I increased the incline on my treadmill a few days ago, I wish I knew what the percentage is but this treadmill is old and it doesn't have a digital reading for the incline. Comparing it to the treadmill I used at the hotel on vacation in Ocean City, it feels a less than the 3.4% that I experienced during the programmed course. I'm thinking it's at 2%, does that make sense? I definitely feel the difference while running on it, compared to the usual 1%. Today my right calf started hurting during my run, now it feels super tight and no matter what stretches I do, it just doesn't feel better. I'm sure it will be fine by tomorrow, it's just a little obvious right now. Does anyone have any opinions/experience with long distances on the treadmill? Should I keep it at the one constant incline or vary it? It doesn't have a program, so I have to do it manually (which is easy to do while running). I just won't be able to know exactly what percentage it's at each time I change it.

Michelle

Missi- sip, you don't need any incline. Just run. Just sayin, but on a quality day, run some tough incline.

Ricky

—our ability to perform up to our physiological potential in a race is determined by whether or not we truly psychologically believe that what we are attempting is realistic. Anton Krupicka

Forever Learning

Ms. MS Wink Don't you do a large percentage of your runs on the TM? If so, I would maybe do some of your shorter distances with an incline (3-4%). Longer runs, no reason to incline beyond 1% (if that). 14 miler on a TM - you are brave. I go "nuts" with a 9 miler. Granted my paces for all runs now is slow compared to you... EDIT Saw you ran this AM and still have calf pain. Take it easy and work on stretching. No doubt 14 miles on a 3-4% would kill anyones calves.
          Ms. MS Wink Don't you do a large percentage of your runs on the TM? If so, I would maybe do some of your shorter distances with an incline (3-4%).
          I have learned a lesson from all of this. From now on I'll keep the inclines for shorter distances, or not worry about the incline on the TM. I didn't think it was all that drastic but I guess it was.

Michelle

Missi- sip, you don't need any incline. Just run. Just sayin, but on a quality day, run some tough incline.
            I think I was starting to feel cheated out of not running outside so that is why I increased the incline. But I have learned and I will do things a little differently now.
            14 miler on a TM - you are brave. I go "nuts" with a 9 miler. Granted my paces for all runs now is slow compared to you...
            It's not "fun" but I'd rather run the TM than not run. I view it as "my time"...I can listen to my music and have time to think. Treadmill or outside, it's still my time...and I'm running so I'm happy.

Michelle

Ran today with no pain! Of course I ran a flat course outside, just to be on the safe side.

Michelle