1000 Mile Club

running/walking (Read 642 times)

At the end of the day, this is about personal goal setting and accomplishment. My advice, do what works for you. Plenty of learn to run programs advocate a 10:1 approach - run 10 minutes, walk 1 minute. When I started, I followed this mantra religiously and sometimes still do. Whatever approach keeps getting you out on the road and moving forward is a good one to follow...
      I think your situation is different than Chloe's. You are walking as a means of transportation- and I would guess that is in addition to any training that you are doing. I wouldn't count the type of walking you are doing in my training either, but if I were take a walk break to drink water or just to let my HR calm down after a big hill or something then I wouldn't discount the walk break in my training numbers.
      Maybe it's an English thing! I'm with Running Hammer (and it's not often that a Gooner can say that) - I walk between 4 & 8 miles almost every day and I don't log it as I don't consider it part of my running program. I simply have to do it. It's 1.5 miles to my son's school so I have to walk 6 miles just getting him there and back, plus I walk to the shops everyday and take the kids to activities. I don't drive so my feet are all I got! That said it's an individual thing and I have never thought of the 1000 mile club as a competition . I don't think that it's a problem if someone wants to run/walk or even to walk/run the distance. It's about setting ourselves a goal and aiming high. Quote: In my opinion the 1000 Mile Club should welcome all people who intend to transport themselves 1000 miles, under their own power. This includes running, walking, and hopping (like the pace bunny). It shouldn't matter how slow or fast they travel. So, if someone walks the entire 1000 miles, I'll be happy for them. - Well said VA123!!! Claire xxx
      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
        It's your training & your log so, it's your call. So far this year I've only logged about 34 miles running but, in the same time period I've rowed 55 miles on my rowing machine & around 17 miles on my x-country skiing machine. I suppose I could total up the mileage & post that but, I want to catch the furry little bastard on the road.
        Gig

In my opinion the 1000 Mile Club should welcome all people who intend to transport themselves 1000 miles, under their own power. This includes running, walking, and hopping (like the pace bunny). It shouldn't matter how slow or fast they travel. So, if someone walks the entire 1000 miles, I'll be happy for them.
          I need to add hopping as a new workout type.
          va

Note that hopping with a Vurtego compressed air pogo stick is against club rules!!! (Check out the videos. They have guys hopping over cars!)