1000 Mile Club

mileage increase (Read 468 times)

Go Pre!

So... It seems that lots of 1000 mile club members are running way more than before and are increasing their mileage by a fair amount above the recommended "10%" per week. Let's all be careful....there nothing wrong with surpassing the bunny in December and reaching the goals safely. Just an observation Smile Daddyo
    zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm pretty much working back to my pre-HM level of running...some weeks my miles look small, others big (usually depends upon whether I do my long run on Sun. or Sat. Some calendar weeks I get 2 longs). I'm bulking up for this weekend, too, since I won't likely be running for the next 4 days (going out-of-town and shooting a wedding). That bunny will probably catch me for a day. Smile k

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Unfortunately, I already shot myself in the foot on this one... or more specifically, the shins. Undecided I got so excited about finding this website and my brand spanking new shoes I had bought that I went from 13 miles in the last week of December to 36 miles in the first week of January. I can sum that mistake up in one single word... OUCH! I've been battling through shin splints ever since. Bumped down to 18 miles last week since I thought it would be a decent compromise but that too might not have been low enough. I'll have 18 by weeks' end this week so we'll see how things are workin out. Instead of lowering my mileage, I'm hoping to increase the number of days of rest/recovery (first week, I had only 1 day, last week I had 2 and this week I'll have 3). If all else fails, I'll start from scratch, take a week off (and let the bunny catch me) and then start over at 13-15 miles/week. I'm hoping it doesn't come to that, though.
        bas

I found myself walking into this trap... I *think* I gout out just in time! First week of 2007 my distance increased too much. My legs started protesting and I backed off. This week I'm between a half marathon and a 10k race and I really take it easy. Legs are feeling much better now. Hope I can still say that after sunday Smile bas

52° 21' North, 4° 52' East

Go Pre!

Be careful! A lot of us not following this rule! http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1051-0,00.html DAD
            va

Be careful! A lot of us not following this rule! http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267--1051-0,00.html DAD
              I think the "listen to your body" rule trumps the "10% Rule". This past week I was feeling good, and my legs fresh, so I had a +16% increase over the previous week. I didn't feel like I was stretching myself. That said, I think the "10% Rule" is a good one, especially for those just starting out.
              derek

I think the "listen to your body" rule trumps the "10% Rule".
                I agree, but then, I'm a fairly new runner too so I'll be biased towards anything that would let me run more :-) Actually, if I just blindly followed the 10% rule I'd be at about 70 miles per week by now having started at 10 mpw back in Sep after the C25K plan.....hey, maybe I should have blindly followed the 10% rule :-) It's much more important to listen to your body. What I do find now is that I am more intuned to my body than when I frist started off so the 10% is probably good for someone just starting, but I think after 3-4 months, you should try and listen to your body

Derek

I definetly go with listening to my body. I ran 14.7 yesterday and even pushed it a bit (in speed) for the last mile. I really wanted to keep running but knew better to stop while ahead. Spent 5 hours driving yesterday after my run and still woke up this morning feeling great! I really really enjoyed my recovery run this morning (despite the wind and cold weather)!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Go Pre!

I would imagine pushing beyond the 10% rule is fine... if not too far beyond and assuming that listening to your body really does work for you. I have just heard too may cases of people bumping mileage too far too fast and needing to take a long time off as a result. Just expressing my concerns y'all Smile
                      Most people really should listen to the 10% rule. Of course there are those of us due to genetics or whatever the reason is that can push the envelope a bit more than most. Ever since my spinal injury in 2001 I've had to learn to listen to my body. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't push the envelope or listen to my body! But then again I've been told I'm a genetic freak lol

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson