10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Why 10K Training Group (Read 502 times)

Marquess of Utopia

I feel that ten kilometers is an arduous distance. It is the longest standard Track and Field distance. 25 crazy laps on a track! After completing my first Marathon 2 days ago the 10K seems like a piece of cake, but it's a distance that can test both speed and stamina. I have set a goal to see how fast I can run. Others may see the 10K as a stepping stone from the 5k to the half marathon. If you are also interested in this distance; feel free to join this group and share your thoughts. Joe
    runpd

Eye Lick Two Rhune

Very true that the 10k is at times over looked as a distance to test oneself.

"To give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift" -Pre

I'm interested in this distance, though I've never run one. I think I'll run one in the spring. For now, gotta get lotsa easy miles in. Thanks for starting the group!

sean

thanks for starting the group. i'm planning a 10k for february and hope to do around 48 mins. congrats on your marathon!
            Thanks for starting this group. I've got my sights set on a few more longer distance races over the next few months - but next spring I will look at doing some 5ks and 10ks. Until then I'll have fun lurking and learning.

When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?

Thanks for the group. I have never run a 10k but I really want to. It is definitely on my list of races to run. Smile

Michelle

Dog-Love

Great idea for a group. For me the 10K is the best distance. I used to run this in 42:50 in y 20's but now my times hover around 57:00. I want to improve speed and take at least a couple of minutes off this time. Look forward to seeing your training methods.
                Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                  “Among racers it has been said that the 10k race is the perfect distance because it combines distance with speed nearly equally. A 10k (about 6.2 miles) is long enough to challenge a runner's endurance but is not so long as to slow a runner down. (Most people aren't sprinting at the end of a marathon, but it's certainly possible at a 10k distance.) Is 10k the perfect distance?” I borrowed the above quote from a quick Yahoo search, but I have heard it many times before. My first race ever was a 10k that I ran back in the late 70’s and it was there where I became hooked on runninig. It was easily the most popular road racing distance and what you were measured by. All other distances were based on “10k equivalents”. To some degree this still holds true today, but not to the extent that it did then. If you can run well at the 10k distance, chances are that you will do well at all other distances between 5k and the marathon, if you train for them. If we look at some of the greatest marathoners from past and present, they all cut their teeth on 10k’s. Frank Shorter, Alberto Salazar, Paula Radcliffe and the great Haile Gebrselassie are a few that come to mind. Gebreslassie is the current world record holder in the marathon, but set many records at 10k and won Olympic gold medals before moving up in distance. Paula Radcliffe likes to run a hard 10k just before her key marathons. This is exactly what she did before winning the most recent World Cup in spectacular front running fashion. If only more of today’s runners would think about this before rushing into marathons that they aren’t prepared for, they wouldn’t be sorry. Since that first one I have run 161 more 10k’s, easily the most of any distance. As a late starter in this sport, my best was a 33:48 that I ran at age 43. That same year I also had a 33:50. However, I can’t remember any one of them being more satisfying than the 39:36 I ran this year as a 61 year old. A month later I lowered it by another 4 seconds, proving to myself that the first one was no fluke. It took me more than 2 ½ years of trying to break 40 minutes, and there were several times along the way that I doubted it would ever happen again. “The harder the battle, the sweeter the victory”, as the saying goes. I had to be in every bit as good of shape as I was when I could race almost a minute per mile faster. The push that I started about 3 years ago followed a 7-year period during my 50’s that I didn’t run much and almost never raced. You are never too old.
                  Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marquess of Utopia

Thanks for sharing Jim! That's a really cool quote, I'll have to put that on the home page.
                      Good to see you back eispickel...and thanks I have some other ideas, such as another thread where members can list next scheduled 10k, goal time, and and possilby a comment. Have to shove off for work now. Will talk more later. JIm
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                        a thread for upcoming 10ks is a very good idea.
                          Jim, thanks for the post....I like that...and not to highjack the thread......but my very first race back in the 80's was a 10K in Manhattan, Kansas. Guess who also ran that race....Frank Shorter.... I've been away from running for a long time and am just getting back into it. BUT I ALWAYS remember that race as an I CAN do this.....with the added excitement of watching Frank Shorter pass me going towards the finish line while I'm still a long way from the 1/2 turn around. Very cool and very exciting! Big grin modified....post doesn't look right! Confused

"Nothing's better than the wind to your back, the sun in front of you, and your friends beside you." Aaron Douglas Trimble

My first race was also a 10k, a big one, with 9,000 runners; I really found it pretty exciting. I have only been running for 15 months now so i don't want to sound like one of those teenage gymnasts who say "I've been working towards this for my entire career" at the age of 15 or something, but I do think the distance suits me. At 56 (57 in February) its not likely I will ever be fast at a distance shorter than 5k and I have no interest in training for longer events than the half marathon, so 10k seems ideal. I ran my first back last spring having been running 6 months, did 51:50, and just ran my first half in October at 1:55, so my goal for 2008 is 48 mins for the 10k, and if I can squeeze 5 minutes off my half I'll be happy with that... I have been running slow and easy almost exclusively for 12 weeks and will seek your advice when the time comes for tempos and intervals. Simon. (Nice to see not everyone is shooting for 40 minutes, yikes!)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.