10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K Races! (Read 1218 times)

Fantastic runs, Jim and Dakota! You guys are living my dream... Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Some great 10k performances already this year from you guys & galls. I've just joined the 10k group and have got two 10k's planned in the next couple of months. The 1st one is the British London 10k. I would be aiming for something in the 38's for this, but the field is 20,000+ and there are no pens, so I'll probably have to see on the day. I've heard you get walkers in the first km so I'll avoid setting any silly targets. The 2nd one is on Aug 16th and this will be the the one I'll try to peak for. It's a well organised smaller race that I ran last year in 39:38. It's pretty flat too. My target for this will be to try and dip into the 37's.
      Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Its Race Week. Sat 21st is my BIG race of the year! Well of the decade really. My on and off running form has meant I have always missed this race. My Goal was always a sub 40 and I'm nervous now as the day approches. Training has been poor of late with a few niggly injuries and I have not been able to do any tempo runs. I'm not 100% yet and will do a very easy week. Having run last night I will probably just run on Wednesday giving myself 2 dys rest before the race. Weather forecast looks favourable as I hade been concerned it would be hot like the previous year. I hope I have done enough as I have been training towards this for the last 10 months.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Well I did the British London 10k this morning and as I suspected, the huge field (20,000+) meant I couldn't get away to a clean start. I went through the 1st km in 5:09. I had said to myself I would not worry if this happened, and I decided that I would cruise to the 9k point and hammer it for the last one. So I stuck to around 4:00 km's which felt fairly comfortable and then ramped it up to the finish with a 3:29 last km. I finished in 40:42. I've got my goal 10k on the 16th of August so Ill hope to be a good 2-3 minutes better in that one. But this was a great workout towards that.
          Eustace Tierney

YoYo

16th of July is my next 10k. Just a local festival run. Usually attracts around 100 runners. My goal is to try and hit another sub 39 but I know I have a few pounds on since my last run. Training has been ok of late and I should be over 30m/week by this evening. Will try to kep away from the cookies until after race day.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

A Saucy Wench

Put my race report in the main forum...Very nice race today hilly, but pretty. I am feeling really happy with my pacing lately, knowing when to push. My splits are all over the place on this race because of the hills but I felt I did good even effort. I was able to finish strong, but didnt have much left in the tank. PR 48:02. THought I might be able to sneak in under 48 but not quite.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Marquess of Utopia

Mile 1 7:23 rollers generally flat to down Mile 2 8:29 steady up Mile 3 8:24 steeper up but rolling breaks Mile 4 6:56 steep down followed by rolling Mile 5 7:35 rolling net flat to down Mile 6.2 9:13 (~7:45pace) rolling net uphill Time 48:02, 1st in AG
                Congratulations on the AG win!
                  I ran the London Pride 10k yesterday. The conditions were pretty good. It was mild weather, a bit windy but nothing that should really stop you running a good race. I did a very short warm-up as we didn't have alot of time once we'd changed and dropped our bags in. I felt like I ran a good race, I didn't feel great in the first 6k (probably the lack of warm-up) but felt super strong in the last 4. I passed people continually all the way through the race, not one person got past me (and stayed there) which felt good. 3:45, 3:49, 3:46, 3:48, 3:51 (19:00), 3:49, 3:50, 3:53, 3:50, 3:35 (18:57) 37:57 PR. I definitely deserved the large number of beers I consumed afterwards. Is there a better recovery drink out there? I don't think so! Big grin

A Saucy Wench

nice! Damn that is fast.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

You Are Beautiful.

My first 10k will be 8/1

http://www.newheights.org/info/race

My Storygraph

It does not matter how slowly you go, so long as you do not stop. Confucius
                      Be patient and tough, some day this pain will be useful to you. Ovid

You'll learn to let things go. 

GST

02/27 - goal is to come in around 47.

Ran this last year in 53:32.  It is a super fast course.  Net downhill point-to-point, and with lots of fast people running.  (As much as I like small races and winning age group awards, it's harder to run hard at the front than the same speed surrounded. Wink )

04/17 - goal is to PR , sub 45:17.

Ran this last year in 51:55 and before 2009, it held my PR of 59:11.  It's not as fast a course as some others, but is not a slow course either, and I am mentally very strong on it because I've ran it a lot.  I am hoping that I get back to the shape I was in last October faster than it took me to get there in the first place (took me 3.5 months of very good training to go from 48 minutes to 45 minutes, with improving weather), which may not be fair... but I have heard it's easier to get to a certain speed when you've been there before, so I'm still hoping.

Ivy, I hope you are right about regaining fitness being easier than building it up in the first place!

Like you, I am going back to a very fast, net downhill course in early May, and expecting a PB around 44:30.

Again this is a big race, 12,000 runners and walkers, but for the first time this year there will be corrals instead of a mass start, which should be an improvement. I am in the second group based on my finish time.

I have been having trouble with fatigue and recovery since running my brains out in a half  last October, but hope to get back to the form I had then by May.

Good luck to you in your races!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Marquess of Utopia

My next 10K is in a little over 5 weeks; right in the middle of my peak marathon mileage.

My goal this year is to run a sub 33 so that I can qualify for the top seeding position at Bix 7. If I don't succeed in March I'll have two other changes to qualify.

The last time I raced a 10K was in August the weather was cool, the course was flat and I got fired up because I was running neck and neck with a guy wearing an Ipod.

Marquess of Utopia

My next 10K is in a little over 5 weeks; right in the middle of my peak marathon mileage.

My goal this year is to run a sub 33 so that I can qualify for the top seeding position at Bix 7. If I don't succeed in March I'll have two other changes to qualify.

The last time I raced a 10K was in August the weather was cool, the course was flat and I got fired up because I was running neck and neck with a guy wearing an Ipod.

I had to skip this race because of a minor injury. But I ran the best race (10K) of my life four weeks after the Boston Marathon; I posted my thoughts here: BLOG

I just ran my first ever 10k this morning The Hospital Hill 10k in KC! I didn't have much of a time goal.. really I just wanted to finish it strong.  I thought I did a great job until I came in here and saw your times! HOLY COW!  I have a LOT of work to do! lol I finished in 1:07:08

I am proud of myself being as that I started running in March.

This running stuff is fun!