10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K Goals! (Read 1510 times)

That part is nice to hear....I worry that I got all my big PR's last year, maybe they were it. Smile
    You can't set PR's if you don't race. Your training is looking great but I see no races this year. When's your next one? Come on--let's see something! Big grin Seriously, it would be highly unusual for someone to set a breakthrough PR and then never run any faster. Running age has a lot to do with it too--more so than actual age. Generally we can exepct to improve for 8-10 years from the time we start, but I have heard of people setting PR's 15 years later.
    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

A Saucy Wench

I had one Jan 6th - was sick and still PR'd, but I havent run many 10K's before. Seriously could not find any races for february...that sucked! I have one on Sat. and then dont worry, pretty soon you'll be saying "less racing, more training!" Last year I PR'd in every distance, so something was good. my running age is a little hard to say. I ran sporadically for several years and then had a baby and for some reason that turned me in to a runner. Or more likely-- I did a marathon by following one of those C2Marathon programs and figured that I could do better.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Right on Hereford...

I'm jumping in as well. I think it's awesome there are so many fast people here...you guys are inspiring! My 10k goal this year is to run a sub-40 at the Bolder Boulder (2nd largest 10k in America). I've been trying to break 40 at the BB for the last five years, and ran 40:39 twice (2005 and 2007). Last year I finally broke 40 at a race in Maine, but that was at sea level and I still need to do it here at 5430 feet. Right now I'm running around 28-30 miles per week, with one tempo run being my key workout. I'm also doing a long run of about 10-11 miles. I have 5.5 weeks left until the race, and will have a few more 5k races between now and then. I want to start some interval training on the track, Should I alternate weeks between my tempo runs and track workouts, or should I do both each week? I don't plan to run track intervals on weeks that I have a 5k race, by the way. I'm only running 4 days per week, and want to make sure I don't do too much speedwork. I think that was my problem last year.
          Welcome Dakota, If forced to run only 30 miles spread over 4 days I would make 2 of those days of the long endurance variety and do easy 5-milers on the other 2. One day could be something like 4-5 x 1600 at 10k-HM pace with short recovery jogs--10 miles for the entire workout. The other big day could be 10 miles with 4-5 of them at tempo. I honestly don't think you need any hard intervals for your goal. You've recently run 19:02 for 5k which shows that you have more than enough speed. You just need to put some more gas in the tank. On race weeks you could keep one of the longer workouts and do a long cooldown after your race for your other quality day that week. I've found this stategy to work very well. Just a suggestion. To me it seems pretty clear that working on your endurance is going to help you more than doing more speed.
          Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
          Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Sub 40 would be superb. Just done 40:30 last night in training so over the moon with my progress. Just got to stay injury free for next 8 weeks and it might be a possibility. This time last year I was 215 Lbs and hadnt run in a year!

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Right on Hereford...

Welcome Dakota, If forced to run only 30 miles spread over 4 days I would make 2 of those days of the long endurance variety and do easy 5-milers on the other 2. One day could be something like 4-5 x 1600 at 10k-HM pace with short recovery jogs--10 miles for the entire workout. The other big day could be 10 miles with 4-5 of them at tempo. I honestly don't think you need any hard intervals for your goal. You've recently run 19:02 for 5k which shows that you have more than enough speed. You just need to put some more gas in the tank. On race weeks you could keep one of the longer workouts and do a long cooldown after your race for your other quality day that week. I've found this stategy to work very well. Just a suggestion. To me it seems pretty clear that working on your endurance is going to help you more than doing more speed.
              Thanks, Jim. I think I am going to incorporate some of your ideas into my training. What do you think of this schedule for my 30 miles per week? Sunday: 12 miles, with 5x1600 tempo Tuesday: 5 miles easy, with 6x30sec strides Thursday: 8 miles, with 4 tempo Friday: 5 miles easy I have to admit that I'm tempted to throw in an interval session once every 2-3 weeks. Well, I guess a 5k race accomplishes pretty much the same thing, right? I had a 5k on Sunday and I took your advice on that one. With my warmup, race, and cooldown I totaled over 13 miles that day. I was a little worked by the end, lol.
              Sub 40 would be superb. Just done 40:30 last night in training so over the moon with my progress. Just got to stay injury free for next 8 weeks and it might be a possibility. This time last year I was 215 Lbs and hadnt run in a year!
              Tough Guy, if you can run 40:30 in training, I think you should have no problem doing sub-40 in a race. Sounds like you've made huge progress over the past year. Congrats!
              Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Cheers Dakota. Still feel the fast pace in my legs. No more fast runs for a while.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Marquess of Utopia

I hope everyone is having a successful & injury free year so far. I made my goal for the year (sub 37); On the day of the race I had hoped to run 36 minutes but 36:33 on a hilly course is almost as good. I have made a decision to change my focus for the second half of the year to train for another damn marathon. 28-Sep: 10 mile warm-up race 19-Oct: 13.1 mile goal race 16-Nov: Route 66 Marathon I'll keep checking out the forum and hopefully offering words of encouragement. Godspeed!
                    Hey Joe, I haven't posted anything here in a while but have peeked in at least once a week and am aware of the steady progress you have been making. You have definitely made great strides in building up your endurance. It's not only going to help you in the upcoming long races you are training for, but I will come in very handy at all distances you race in the future. We are on very similar paths. I also plan to run a HM on Oct 19, but next marathon date is still uncertain. If I do well in the half I will most likely follow with a 30k on Nov 9. Both are part of USATF series and will pit me against a key rival in my division. However, if I lose to my rival there is a good possiblility that I will skip the 30k and go for the marathon on Dec 7. The highlight of my year thus far has been the 38:35 10k I ran on Memorial Day. I'm currently trying to bounce back from a June virus and recent groin strain. Today's run was much better than last few so I'm hopeful of resuming harder workouts very soon.
                    RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

My PR of 39:35 was back in 2005 and I've yet to repeat a sub 40 min effort. Either this was a magical race or the certified course was short. This year my 10miler pace was faster than my 10k pace... I got lucky with cooler weather on the 10 miler. So, my goal is to be below 40 mins, somewhere around 39:20 but I want to be in the 38s. Utilimately I want to average a 6mpm pace.
                      This year's 10ks: April: 39:11 A bit humid August: 39:04 Hot and very humid with some late hills October: 37:58 In the 50s but windy. As good as you get in Chicago in October. Weather and miles under the belt do wonders for race peformances. If I'd actually put in some decent speed work recently I'd have been faster.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Great racing, Asics. When I saw this result I thought "wasn't he going to run Chicago Marathon?" I'd remembered from the user group. A closer look at your log showed that you had dropped out after 16....I assume it was Chicago. I know a lot of people might not agree but I think you absolutely did the right thing. Now, only 2 weeks later you made good use of all your hard work by demolishing your 10k PR. Not only that, but you are in position to make another try at the marathon if you choose. Could you say that now if you'd beaten the hell out of yourself for another 10 miles in the hot sun, only to finish in a time that would have been depressing? I'm not trying to encourage anyone to quit, but sometimes you have to reaccess the situation and ask yourself why you are running. If it's to see if you can finish and you aren't risking injury, then press on. However, if just finishing is not what motivated you to enter, there's nothing wrong with cutting your losses and "living to fight another day." Congratultions on a huge PR. You'll make that marathon goal too one day.
                        RunAsics

The Limping Jogger

Great racing, Asics. When I saw this result I thought "wasn't he going to run Chicago Marathon?" I'd remembered from the user group. A closer look at your log showed that you had dropped out after 16....I assume it was Chicago. I know a lot of people might not agree but I think you absolutely did the right thing. Now, only 2 weeks later you made good use of all your hard work by demolishing your 10k PR. Not only that, but you are in position to make another try at the marathon if you choose. Could you say that now if you'd beaten the hell out of yourself for another 10 miles in the hot sun, only to finish in a time that would have been depressing? I'm not trying to encourage anyone to quit, but sometimes you have to reaccess the situation and ask yourself why you are running. If it's to see if you can finish and you aren't risking injury, then press on. However, if just finishing is not what motivated you to enter, there's nothing wrong with cutting your losses and "living to fight another day." Congratultions on a huge PR. You'll make that marathon goal too one day.
                          Thanks! I finally ran a good 10k. I was only 5 seconds over my 5 mile PR at the 5 mile point in this race. Still, I was very happy that I held on and broke 38 mins. Yeah, I dropped out of the Chicago marathon just after the 16 mile marker. It was extremely disappointing but the right thing to do (for me). Your remarks are spot on. For reference, I was on pace for my goal time of 3:10 through the half but after that point the clear skies and hot sun had me drinking more than usual. I made an error in chugging some Gatorade and got a side stitch that became a bad cramp. I did my best to clear it but it was causing my breathing to be labored and I could barely hold an 8:30 mpm pace past mile 15. I decided to stop rather than risk any issues in the final 10 miles as I know what that type of problem does to me. In general, I can push through tough periods but I'm not going to trash my body just to finish. I don't care if anyone thinks I wussed out. Note that I was signed up for the OBX half marathon on Nov 9th. I'll now be running the marathon. This was my fall back plan. If my 2nd attempt falls flat, it'll be focusing on shorter races.

"Only a few more laps to go and then the action will begin, unless this is the action, which it is."

Future running partner.

By the end of this Spring I would like to... Wild dream goal: sub 40 10k. Very tough goal: sub 20 5k and a 10k in the 42-43 min range Definite attainable goal: sub 45 10k. I did a long long, summer of lots of long slow running in prepping for my first mary that was in Nov. Shortly after I started working on training for the spring 10k/5k season. My plan is linked in my signature area. I've now only had 3 real speed workouts, the most recent yesterday. Saturday was my first 5k which I ran in 22:55. Last spring my peak race was a 39:02 8k. According to Mcmillan calculator my recent 5k was an equivalent to about a 37:45 8k. I'd like to believe my chances are good. What do you think? 8 Ball
                              Hi Wannabe! Nice to see the 10k group is coming alive again..I have missed it. You have done a lot of miles to prep for the marathon so have an excellent base on which to build your speed. As you are also relatively young I am sure you can reach your 42-43 minute goal, after that it's up to you! I am currently getting back into training, weather allowing, for an attempt at 45 minutes (on a fast, downhill course) this spring. i have reasonable confidence, and in fact hope for 44:30 or better. I am still so new at this that I stopped briefly for water on my last 10k; a waste of time I will avoid next time. I also plan to wear lighter shoes: every second counts in a short race.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Future running partner.

Hi Wannabe! Nice to see the 10k group is coming alive again..I have missed it. You have done a lot of miles to prep for the marathon so have an excellent base on which to build your speed. As you are also relatively young I am sure you can reach your 42-43 minute goal, after that it's up to you! I am currently getting back into training, weather allowing, for an attempt at 45 minutes (on a fast, downhill course) this spring. i have reasonable confidence, and in fact hope for 44:30 or better. I am still so new at this that I stopped briefly for water on my last 10k; a waste of time I will avoid next time. I also plan to wear lighter shoes: every second counts in a short race.
                                I think after new years I'm going to focus on diet agian and see if I can drop another 10 lbs. This may get me to 40min. As far as you drinking on the run goes. It may be beneficial for you to practice. I did this during my marathon. I found that pinching the rim of the cups together helps keep it from spilling as much and it allows it to poor slower into your mouth. I was able to do this without slowing my pace at all. If its warm enough during your 10ks this spring you'll need to drink.