10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Progress updates and other comments-questions (Read 445 times)

Also found it interesting that you plot you runs overthe entire year (you have really skinny bars!)
    How do you do that???
    obsessor

another good rep session today - same as the last one but with shorter (90 sec) rests times for 1656m were 7.41 7.41 7.41 7.39 7.33. equivalents for the mile would be 7.28 7.28 7.28 7.26 7.20. firmly in the range i was after Smile think i might try to add a 6th one next time.
      Mandy, I think I want to echo the thoughts of Jim on your Mile repeats. I know for sure that it feels better to have walking recovery, but I also think it's better to keep the HR up some - you will actually recover faster at a really slow jog. Also - it prepares you better for the race. When I think of intervals or repeats, I think of the length and pace of my recovery, first. I also think it lessens the chance of injury to gradually accelerate through the start and finish lines of your interval. There's so many things you can do - think about how killer it would be to run your miles at 7:30, but recovery miles at 8:30. Add in a little warmup, and maybe a cooldown, and all of the sudden you have a 15+ mile workout in, and you will be more than ready for a 1:45 half. There's a lot you can do with variance of your recoveries. There are many ways to do it. If you were to take a lap - really slow - like a 3 minute lap - I think you would find it to be a comparable recovery to 2 min. walking, but a better overall aerobic workout.
        Thanks for the encouragement. There is a flat 10 K at the end of April and I will try to maintain weekly speedwork towards that. Will let you know! MTA: I looked at your log Jim and you don't run many intervals? Do you train fast once a week or how do you maintain your speed. Also found it interesting that you plot you runs overthe entire year (you have really skinny bars!)
        Crabby (I know you are Sherry, but love that handle--wish I would have taken it first Big grin), I did a short workout on the track last Wednesday, which was my first since early October when I was keying for a half marathon. I had planned to ease off for a while afterwards before starting to rebuild, but have just kept racing without doing any workouts. I haven't really maintained all the speed I had then. The race I ran Sunday was a minute slower than 10-mile split during Oct half marathon, and 5k times have dropped off even more. I will be starting back this month with some 1000's and 1600's on the track at current 10k-HM pace. The graphs were that way when I set up my log. I don't know how to change them. Can anyone help?
        Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Marquess of Utopia

Jim, it looks like you have a 4 mile run listed on 12/10/2008. Post a message in "Forum: Technical Support" so Eric can fix it.
            Jim, it looks like you have a 4 mile run listed on 12/10/2008. Post a message in "Forum: Technical Support" so Eric can fix it.
            Where is it? I don't see it anywhere on my workout list after sorting dates from latest to oldest and vice versa. Why couldn't I just delete it rather than contact tech support? edit to add: With eric's help I took care of it. Thanks for pointing it out.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Mandy, I think I want to echo the thoughts of Jim on your Mile repeats. I know for sure that it feels better to have walking recovery, but I also think it's better to keep the HR up some - you will actually recover faster at a really slow jog. Also - it prepares you better for the race. When I think of intervals or repeats, I think of the length and pace of my recovery, first. I also think it lessens the chance of injury to gradually accelerate through the start and finish lines of your interval. There's so many things you can do - think about how killer it would be to run your miles at 7:30, but recovery miles at 8:30. Add in a little warmup, and maybe a cooldown, and all of the sudden you have a 15+ mile workout in, and you will be more than ready for a 1:45 half. There's a lot you can do with variance of your recoveries. There are many ways to do it. If you were to take a lap - really slow - like a 3 minute lap - I think you would find it to be a comparable recovery to 2 min. walking, but a better overall aerobic workout.
              thanks obsessor. as i said to jim though i prefer them with walk recoveries. by that i didn't mean that i find them easier - i meant that after considering both alternatives i think this one is doing me more good and gives me room to improve the way i feel is most useful. as far as reducing the chance of injury goes - i don't sprint start or come to a sliding halt after each repeat! by reducing the walk recovery time i can still make the workout harder as i wish. while doing 1k repeats for 5k training i brought the recoveries down steadily from 2mins to 60s. another girl doing similar training got hers down to 20s. also while our track isn't exactly busy i prefer not to be "jogging" on it - especially when the sprinters are doing reps. with a static or walk recovery i can easily step off the track, take a drink and walk back along the trackside until i'm ready to start the next one. one important factor (in this climate - not so important in the UK right now i know!) is being able to take on water between intervals - much harder to do/organise if you are doing jog recoveries. anyway - thanks for the input. i do appreciate hearing and understanding the other point of view.