10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

half for 10k preparation (Read 627 times)

This forum has been dead for a while so I thought I would ask some advice. I missed my baseline 10k this past weekend due to a funeral. There are no more in the immediate future. I live in S Tx and 10ks are not common. I signed up for a hilly half March 2nd. My 10k will be sometime in April. I have a new hilly training course I started running last wednesday. I plan on running this course every wednesday. I tend to run my long runs fast and wednesdays and easy the rest of the time. My plan is to do a 6 mile tempo on wednesday during this run. Next week I plan on hitting the hills hard. This sunday I'll do 10-14 and next Sunday another 16 then slack off. Looking for advice.

crb81 2008 goals sub-20 5k, sub-43 10k, 1:35 half, 3:20 marathon

This forum has been dead for a while so I thought I would ask some advice. I missed my baseline 10k this past weekend due to a funeral. There are no more in the immediate future. I live in S Tx and 10ks are not common. I signed up for a hilly half March 2nd. My 10k will be sometime in April. I have a new hilly training course I started running last wednesday. I plan on running this course every wednesday. I tend to run my long runs fast and wednesdays and easy the rest of the time. My plan is to do a 6 mile tempo on wednesday during this run. Next week I plan on hitting the hills hard. This sunday I'll do 10-14 and next Sunday another 16 then slack off. Looking for advice.
      First of all, your program looks pretty good the way it is. One thing that jumps out at me, however, is that your average daily runs are on the quick side relative to your race times. If you are recovering well and not feeling tired duirng your daily activities it should be fine. Otherwise, it might be something to take a look at. If I were to change anything it would be to add some long intervals at what you estimate your current half marathon pace to be. For example 5 x 1 mile with a 75-90 sec jog between each. This would make 2 key workouts each week—your Wednesday workout on the hills plus the miles I just mentioned. A big key to making this work would be slowing down on the other 5 days of the week. This is just an idea. As I said, I don’t see anything wrong with continuing the plan that you mentioned. For the 10k you might need to do eventually do some quicker workouts, but I like the idea of putting in a strength phase first as you are doing.
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
        Jim, Today was my second run in the hills and on the way back I realized that I need to do the other days slower. Yesterdays run was faster than it needed to be and I felt it today. I'm going to try to back the pace on the other runs to around 8:45. I had planned to do six miles at around 7:30 in the middle of the run but dropped that idea once I got started. My plan is to add a hard workout on Fridays once my body adjusts to this weekly run. My idea is to alternate tempo runs with mile intervals for a while then go to alternating mile intervals with 800 intervals. Thanks for the advice.

I had what I think was a breakthrough training run today. Had a solid LR on sunday and ran easy the next two days. Hoped to do a six mile tempo today during the run. Warmed up the first two miles then picked up the pace. I had hoped to do 7:20 for six but did it for ten. Have been running easy all other runs as per Jim. Don't feel the soreness I did before when I was running other runs faster. Will go easy for the next two days then do 14 on same course saturday. Target race is March 2nd.

I had what I think was a breakthrough training run today. Had a solid LR on sunday and ran easy the next two days. Hoped to do a six mile tempo today during the run. Warmed up the first two miles then picked up the pace. I had hoped to do 7:20 for six but did it for ten. Have been running easy all other runs as per Jim. Don't feel the soreness I did before when I was running other runs faster. Will go easy for the next two days then do 14 on same course saturday. Target race is March 2nd.
            Nice going Clay. All you need is to push it a couple times a week and stay active on the other days without overdoing it. Mileage is looking better. I see a big HM PR on the horizon.
            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
              Thanks Jim. The intervals will have to wait until after the HM and the ski trip the second week of March. I'm feeling really confident now.

This is my HM report. It was a very challenging course. My training the past 6 weeks on a hilly course definitely helped. I finished 21 out of 183. Unfortunately, all the old guys came out and I was 4th in the 45-49 age group, not counting the masters winner. We went out into a strong wind with temperatures in the 60's. I got intimidated and backed off my pace somewhat. It was a loop course and I kept waiting for the Boogie Man. He never showed up as the second half was easier. Felt like I left 30-60 seconds on the course. That is ok as I will be back next year. Good news is I lowered my PR by 51 seconds on a much more difficult course. Did 1:36:06 and can't wait until next year. It is 7 weeks out from Boston so I will probably run it next year. Going snow skiing next week and will start intervals when I get back. Hope to find a 10k then.