10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

Anyone Still Around? (Read 638 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I ran my first 10K this winter after my mileage had taken a real beating for 2 months so I know I can do better. I'm going to do more 10Ks this year. Anyone still around or is this a dead group?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Marquess of Utopia

It's been dead for a while, but it could pick up again...
        as far as I can tell, it is definitely not dead.
        I ran my first 10K this winter after my mileage had taken a real beating for 2 months so I know I can do better. I'm going to do more 10Ks this year. Anyone still around or is this a dead group?
        Eustace Tierney

YoYo

I havent been on the forum since last summer. I got some great advice last year from everyone and achieved my 2008 goal of going sub 40. my best being 38:45. I had a bad winter with my knees practically packing up. I was told I needed orthotics by my Podiatrist but they took so long in coming I had already started running barefoot. I,ve been running in Vibrams lately and starting to build up a bit of mileage again with the hope of doing a couple of 10ks over the Spring/Summer. I dont know if I'll manage a sub 40 in the Vibrams but I will make it my goal for this year.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Marquess of Utopia

Ootee, Have you tried the Nike free 3.0? Or a racing flat?
            Eustace Tierney

YoYo

Thinking about racing flats at the moment. Not sure what to go for. Nike free aren't easy to find in the UK. Would like to try on some flats but no one stocks them locally. Might chance something online.

"The will to win means nothing without the will to prepare." Goals: Keep on running!

Beginner all over again

This place is kinda quiet these days

Just came by to see what's up.

I'm training for a 10K in November.

Well, I checked in, and was pleased to see some activity starting up again.

I ran a rather hilly 10k in just under 50 minutes (not a good time!) at the beginning of May, I think it was, and may try another on July 1st, which is Canada Day.

My focus is really on my half marathon in October.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Marquess of Utopia

Well, I checked in, and was pleased to see some activity starting up again.

I ran a rather hilly 10k in just under 50 minutes (not a good time!) at the beginning of May, I think it was, and may try another on July 1st, which is Canada Day.

My focus is really on my half marathon in October.

Good luck today!

Thanks!

It went pretty well, though the official times are not yet up on the website; I think I ran in the low 46 minute range on a fair course, not a real downhill course like SL but an out and back.

Anyone else got any recent times to tell us about?

Marquess of Utopia

All of the 10k's this summer in Iowa seem to be scheduled when I have something else planned.

MY running group is going to put together a Cross Country team to run at some college meets this fall. All of the races are 8k, so I'll post all of our results.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I was quite pleased to find out today a half marathon being held here has a 10K component. I'd heard briefly of the half and went to look at the site. The early bird registration ends Sept01 so I'm in time. The race is October 3. I really hope I can get myself prepared and improve again on my previous best 10K.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

I set a new PB for a 5k recently, 22:08.

I am hoping that will indicate a sub 45:00 10k next spring, but it will be tight. My pacing was good, the weather warm and a bit humid, not bad, and the course a loop, so a pretty representative time.

I had not done any shorter speedwork, intervals etc. before this, so that might help.

Hey, SimonR.   Congratulations.  

Francis Re, how are your runs? What 10 K in November?  

I'd like to see this group being active for the selfish reason that I have done only one 10K on a whim, and want to do more. I'd like to read how others are doing who have similar goals.  I recently finished C25K, and want to up my distance to where I am at ease doing 10 K runs.  I have done several 5K's, and a few in between distances.  ANy takers?  

I like 8K's for my training right now, but there are not too many going on. 

Woods Lady would like to hear from people interested in training for 10Ks. 

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Woods, I am trainiing for a 10K on October 3. My mileage going into this race will be better than my previous 2 10ks which I did in February and May this year. I find 10Ks a tough race to find. Most of the races around here seem to be 5Ks or full marathons.

I'm running 4 times a week, nothing below 3 miles and trying to get one 6miler in per week. (This week I was only able to do a 5miler for my longest run.) I'd like to see if I could kick that up to try a 7 miler at least once before my race. I haven't been worrying about speedwork or anything formal like that. I just run. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292.