10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K Goals! (Read 1510 times)

thanks jim, i will aim to do 3 then. i will probably do them more like 7.30-7.40 pace though as i have taken 80seconds off my 5k pb since setting that 10k one which i think is a reasonable indication of improvement - so not just me thinking i've improved. i do my tempo runs at about 8.00 though. thanks again for the advice. welcome runner92 - those are some quite extraordinary targets you've got there. good luck!
      Welcome runner92… …but first I just want to let you know that we frown on the use of performance enhancing drugs around here. You’ll need something stronger than anything that’s come out the labs yet to go from a 42 minute 10k to a sub-4 mile in the space of a year Big grin Seriously, even an enormously gifted runner would need at least a few years to go from where you are now to that level. Guys who can do that are less than one in a million. That was nice mile you ran earlier this month. It shows that you have some ability but it’s still quite a ways from a sub-35 10k. Hopefully you won’t lose interest when you realize just how tough it is to reach even this goal. I think you might get there, but it will probably take longer than July. Good luck, Jim
      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

Just Be

Hi all and thanks for the welcome! Smile Jim, I've anticipated that the training to break a 4 minute mile will take at a minimum, 2 years, probably more like 4 - if I can even do it at all. I'm 26 now, I won't give up hope until I'm 30, and even then, if I still haven't run a sub 4 mile, I'll still keep trying, so long as I'm healthy and injury free. I really believe that I will break a 35 minute 10k by July, as well as the 5 minute mile, but we'll see. When I started running with dedication again in September, I could barely run a 9 minute mile, and honestly, I didn't expect to improve this fast, so maybe my shattering of previous goals in the past 4 months has caused me to set some unrealistic expectations! Tongue Regardless of what happens, I'll keep you guys updated!

Marquess of Utopia

Hi all and thanks for the welcome! Smile When I started running with dedication again in September, I could barely run a 9 minute mile, and honestly, I didn't expect to improve this fast, so maybe my shattering of previous goals in the past 4 months has caused me to set some unrealistic expectations! Tongue
          Going from a nine minute mile to a 6 minute mile in a few months is very normal for a 26 year old male. Cutting more time off that for the average person will take much longer. My PR (set in 1999) in the 8K is 26:36 which is equivalent to a 33:32 10K, and I am not even dreaming about running that fast right now. I stopped running for 5 years, then in October of 2006 I ran in a 5k race in a time of 25:38 / (53:13 10K equivalent). I continued to run 10 – 12 miles a week that winter and ran a 35:12 8K / (44:42 10K equivalent) in February. Then four weeks later I ran 41:40 10K. It took 3 more months and even more intense training to take two minutes off that time to reach a time of 39:31. I’m very certain than I could run a 37 min 10K today, but It’s been 6 months since my last 10K and a lot more training. I hope you can see where I’m going this; I’m trying to show that performance times will eventually start to level off and that you will have to train harder and be patient to see improvements in your performance. Good luck and run well!
            jim - my first attempt at mile intervals went very well. they were a bit over a mile as i had to run in the 3rd lane of the track. i managed 4 with 2min walking rests and they were all between 7.38 and 7.43 (which works out at 7.25 to 7.30 per mile). i felt great at the end and i'm sure could happily have managed another one - but as this was all i'd planned i decided to stop there and not push it. anyway thanks for the prompt to get started with these.

Just Be

My PR (set in 1999) in the 8K is 26:36 which is equivalent to a 33:32 10K, and I am not even dreaming about running that fast right now. I stopped running for 5 years, then in October of 2006 I ran in a 5k race in a time of 25:38 / (53:13 10K equivalent). I continued to run 10 – 12 miles a week that winter and ran a 35:12 8K / (44:42 10K equivalent) in February. Then four weeks later I ran 41:40 10K. It took 3 more months and even more intense training to take two minutes off that time to reach a time of 39:31. I’m very certain than I could run a 37 min 10K today, but It’s been 6 months since my last 10K and a lot more training. I hope you can see where I’m going this; I’m trying to show that performance times will eventually start to level off and that you will have to train harder and be patient to see improvements in your performance. Good luck and run well!
              Hey, we're the same age! Big grin What are your current training goals? Thanks for the well-grounded advice, I am aware that eventually I will reach a plateau point, I'm just not sure where that point will be... in time I will find out. I plan on trying for a new 10k PR either this weekend or at some point next week. I'll probably try for it this Sunday if I can. I'll keep you all updated.

Marquess of Utopia

What are your current training goals?
                My training goals have recently changed as I have started training with a group of runners everyday during my lunch break. Durring the work week we usually run 6-8 miles with the occasional 10 miler. Then I will run a long run on Saturday and Sunday is my rest day. This week I should hit 40 miles and I’m planning on building up to 50 MPW over the next two months. If weather permits I’ll run tempo runs on Tuesdays and a Fartlek/Interval on Thursdays. Keep us updated on your 10K PR's.

Just Be

I set a new PR yesterday! 40:22. So close to breaking 40!!!

Marquess of Utopia

Congrats!
                      Nice one; a big jump from that 42:16 last time. You're improving fast. Happy New Year to all!
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      obsessor

I'm not really focused on the 10k, but this seems to be a good group. I happened to run eight 10k's last year, with a worst of 53:34, and a best of 33:48. It is frustrating, since I "think" I should be able to sneak one in under 33 minutes. So, that's my goal this year. 32:XX. Tonight I'm doing an on/off workout on the treadmill that should pass pretty close to my race PR at the 10k split. We shall see - the workouts are starting to get frightening.

Marquess of Utopia

Welcome obsessor, I took a peak at your running log, impressive 80 miles last week. Do you have any races soon?
                            Welcome Obssesor, At the rate we're going we might have all the old compwire gang posting here before long. I like your chances for that sub-33. Your last marathon says it's yours for the taking.
                            obsessor

Welcome obsessor, I took a peak at your running log, impressive 80 miles last week. Do you have any races soon?
                              (hi Jim - yes, I could not stand the active thing any more, and it is now as good as dead.) Well, ha, ha, I was feeling a little disappointed with last week. A 7-day cutback cycle starting last Thursday, because, Life got in the way; but the two weeks before that were not too bad. It will get better, soon, I hope. I am not signed up for any races as of now. It took me a good 5 weeks after Twin Cities this year to feel like I could really run again. I decided on a long buildup, more base building. I have been getting in about 2 or 3 20 mile+ days each week, and that's good base. Oh, and for the record, I totally blew the workout last night, but that happens. Still - on the right track to get there. The 10k is my worst distance right now.

Just Be

I'm not really focused on the 10k, but this seems to be a good group. I happened to run eight 10k's last year, with a worst of 53:34, and a best of 33:48. It is frustrating, since I "think" I should be able to sneak one in under 33 minutes. So, that's my goal this year. 32:XX. Tonight I'm doing an on/off workout on the treadmill that should pass pretty close to my race PR at the 10k split. We shall see - the workouts are starting to get frightening.
                                Welcome to the group! Smile 33:48 is a pretty amazing time, I can't even imagine running that fast for that long yet, but I hope to get there again. Next month I'll start trying to set new personal records. I decided for the next 4 months that I'd alternate between increasing volume and increasing intensity while maintaining the volume of the prior month. We'll see how well this works out. Jan is a higher volume month, so I'm not attempting any PRs, but I'm hoping for a sub 38 10k in Feb. March I'll introduce mild hill work in addition to more volume, and in April I'll start mild speedwork at the track. By May and June I'll keep the same volume but do a lot of speedwork, we'll see how that plan pans out. Best of luck to you! It's cool that you have such fast times - I'm impressed. For what is it that you're training? What's your 'primary' event?