10K Training Group, 8K's are welcome too

10K Goals! (Read 1510 times)

jEfFgObLuE

I've got a fever...

Hey Jeff, welcome to the group! Smile When you get a chance, check out my reply to you in the following thread... I'm interested in your opinion: http://runningahead.com/forums/topic/acd228fc77de48298ab932a3e053babf
    I'm going home for lunch, so I'll take a peek and see what they say about a 32" 200m. MTA: See that thread for your answer!

On your deathbed, you won't wish that you'd spent more time at the office.  But you will wish that you'd spent more time running.  Because if you had, you wouldn't be on your deathbed.

Just Be

Thanks again! 220 yards is a tiny bit more than 200 meters, but still, it doesn't accurately mark my pace in alignment with what I think I can run a mile right now. I guess a big part of that is the fact that I have virtually 0 maximal effort anaerobic runs under my belt since I started running again. I guess I could run a 200 meter in about 28 seconds next week once my body is finished recovering (feeling a lot better, BTW). Next week (in 10 days or so) I'm going to try to set a new mile PR and really hope I'll run a sub 5. This coming week, I want to break a 37 minute 10k, but am hoping that I'll somehow be able to pull a sub 36 or 35. I'll keep you updated on my progress if you want. Smile Thanks again for posting the data from the book!

Just Be

Well, I set a new 10k PR this week, after several failed attempts. I feel I can do way better, but I just haven't been giving my body enough recovery time this month. Trying to maintain the 200 mile volume of last month while upping the intensity just isn't working for me. I've accepted the fact that I'm not going to make 200 miles this month in the interest of staying injury free. My 10k PR was 37:54. I should be happy with that, since I've only been running again for a little over 5 and a half months, and when I first started I couldn't even run a 10k in less than 1 hour, but for some reason, I'm not that happy with the time. I want to go sub 37 and really think that I can do that, but the nagging blisters and toe/calf/hamstring soreness from the higher intensity feels like it is holding me back. I'm just not sure, I guess time will ultimately tell. Anyone who feels like commenting, let me know your thoughts on my progress, I'd be interested. Smile
          Some of you guys are so fast it absolutely amazes me, and is a little intimidating. I am at about the same stage as Lauren, able to run just under 50 minutes, trying to slowly improve! As I am 57 I will never have blazing speed but in a few years may get under 45 minutes, who knows? I am just starting tempo runs now after building a pretty good base, running 5-8kms at about 5:00 to 5:10 per km. Does that seem about the right pace, it is a good hard effort but not race effort? Also, I am training for a half marathon I will run a month before the 10k, probably not ideal. My long runs are between 20 and 28kms, and I do at least one steady run of 12-16kms at 5:30 (9 minutes per mile) most weeks. Any suggestions? Thanks, Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Marquess of Utopia

Simon, Sounds like you have a solid plan. How many weeks do you have until the half marathon? runner92, Are you setting these PR's solo or in a race? If you're running by yourself that's really impressive!

Just Be

runner92, Are you setting these PR's solo or in a race? If you're running by yourself that's really impressive!
              So far, I'm just running them alone on a 400m track when I'm ready to set the PR. There is a 10k race coming up in July of this year on a really hilly course, should be interesting to see how my time in that actual race compares with my solo training personal record attempts.
                Joe my half is April 27th, in Aurora, Ontario, my 10k is May 4th, in Toronto. (I meant 1 week later, not month, sorry!) Just did a 21.1km long run this week as a race, with the last 5k pushing as hard as I could, and ran 1:50:47. This is 4 mins quicker than last October and the last 5.1kms in 24:37 so I am very pleased with progress. I am having to train for both distances at the same time as the races are on consecutive weekends. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

mattw1970

Injured

I have a 10K this Sunday : Northeast Roadrunners Winter 10K in Philadelphia I have only really raced 2 10Ks as I was sick as a dog for my last one and I mailed it in about half way through. My 10K PR ( very soft) is 45:41 from last winter so I know i'll have a new PR barring any major disasters from now until then. Im shooting for a 41:30 as my primary goal but my fall back goal would be 41:45. My weekly miles have been pretty steady in the high 30's low 40's since the new year and my most recent 5 mile race 2 weeks ago I ran a 33:15 on a fairly hilly course. This 10K is pretty flat. I dont think my 10K goal is too out of line is it ? just wondering what others think. thanks
                  INJURED
                    On on equal courses your 5-mile race is equivalent to ~41:45 for 10k. Factoring in the advantages of going from a hilly to a flat course and a probable fitness bump you got from that last one, I'd make you a favorite to outrun your primary goal. No pressure though Big grin
                    Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                    mattw1970

Injured

thanks for the feedback Jim Pressure ? What pressure ? Big grin Beluieve me I put enough on myself for the whole gang LOL I'll be sure to let you know how it goes
                      INJURED
                      mattw1970

Injured

My old 10K time of 45:41 is toast! I hit my goal time of 41:30 with flying colors: 41:19! It was a windy race but thankfully an out and back course so had a little push behind me the 2nd half. 5K split was 20:40 so i ran each half at pretty even pacing which really hurt that last 2 miles but I DID IT!! Woo!!! Big grin
                        INJURED

A Saucy Wench

woohooo Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Great race Matthew. When you can chop that much off your PR it's a sure sign that more are on the way. Congratulations!
                            Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33

A Saucy Wench

When you can chop that much off your PR it's a sure sign that more are on the way.
                              That part is nice to hear....I worry that I got all my big PR's last year, maybe they were it. Smile

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

mattw1970

Injured

Thanks all! Ennay how long have you been running/racing ? Ive heard/ read that all things considered and as long as you keep up your training and progress with it onward and upward that you will see improvements in your times for 5 years or more. If you put in the training you can expect new PRS will folllow! Good luck in your racing this year and beyond!
                                INJURED