1367 miles, or a marathon per week

Run Woodstock 50K Race Report (Read 286 times)

I highly recommend this event!  Great fun!

Here's my race report...

http://theorybean.blogspot.com/2009/10/run-woodstock-race-report.html

Cassie

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

Great job!! You make it sound so easy! I may have to check this one out next year.
      Carl A

Great report - way to work in the Douglas Adam's reference (life, the universe, and everything).

Sounds like it was a fun day for 60K+!

Speed my steps along your path, according to your will.

Thanks, all!  It was a very fun one... I highly recommend it!

Lu481

You did awesome with the races...  Congrats... 

I can't believe you ran 2 races in the same day, especially since the first was a 50k..  And Susan is right...  You did make it sound easy...  Maybe one day I'll be able to run a 50k too...  (not for a while though)...  but I'm not sure about the 10k afterwords though...

Lu

Lu,

Thanks much!  I wouldn't exactly say it was easy, but it was easier than the first trail run / marathon I did in 07. (My legs were swollen for 3 days after that race.)  This was my 6th run over 26.2 so maybe that has made a difference.  

I've upped my mileage the last few months, and it seems to be making a lot of difference on the amount of effort I have to put in to get the same speeds (or actually slightly faster ones).  It just doesn't hurt as much or as often, either.

Looking at your log, I am certain that if you set your mind to run a 50K and increase your long run distance to around 20 miles, you'll be able to do it.

Cassie

Lu481

Cassie,

Just out of curiosity, how long were your longest training runs leading up to the 50k?  Did you do any over 20 miles?

I'm slowly building my mileage.  Until the end of the year I'm planning on doing only slow runs.  Hopefully by then I'll be consistently between 30 and 40 miles a week.  After that I'll add in a little speed work.  Don't know yet, but if everything works out I might try a marathon next August.  That distance still seems pretty impossible, but then again so did the 1/2 marathon a couple years ago.

Lu

Lu,

My longest runs were exactly 20 miles.  I didn't do any over 20 in the few months before hand.  For the last couple of months, I have been running between 30 and 40 miles a week (usually closer to 40 than 30 with a couple weeks around 50).  I run on trails quite a bit.  Had I been planning on the 50K more than 2 weeks out, I would have done runs over 20 but not significantly over.  

Which marathon are you planning on doing?