1500 Miles So Go Run

*cries* (Read 525 times)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

After 2 craptacular runs in a row the Pace Bunny is ahead of me. And I have a $100 pair of shoes that don't seem compatible with my left heel. Cry

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

After 2 craptacular runs in a row the Pace Bunny is ahead of me. And I have a $100 pair of shoes that don't seem compatible with my left heel. Cry
      Well crap!!!! Ditch the shoes. Stay healthy Kirsten!!
      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com
      zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Yep, hubby brought me home a pair of YakTrax last night. I'll use those with my happy shoes until the spot heals, then hopefully be able to do a few runs with the winter spiked shoes (which are so amazing on snow and ice--too bad they're not so amazing for my feet) and maybe they'll break in better. If not I'll be putting them up on eBay early next Winter. Next year I will probably just buy a pair of well-fitting Gore-Tex trail shoes and YakTrax.

~ Sarah Kay

King of Sparta

I'll use those with my happy shoes until the spot heals, then hopefully be able to do a few runs with the winter spiked shoes (which are so amazing on snow and ice--too bad they're not so amazing for my feet) and maybe they'll break in better.
          Winter spiked shoes sound fantastic! It's been so wet with me for the last three weeks that I've just invested in a pair of waterproof trail shoes, even though I do most of my running on the road. They really are waterproof as well, right up to the point where you have to run through a pool of water that is so deep that the water goes in the top of the shoe. And then it can't get out again, because the shoe is waterproof both ways. Grumble.
          2008 Goals:
          - Sub 1:00 10 mile
          - Sub 3:00 marathon
            Crap. Kirsten we've been trading spaces for awhile lately. I'm trying to ignore the bunny during taper, but your post just made me realize I am now officially behind that fluffy rabbit butt too. Dang.
            zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Winter spiked shoes sound fantastic! It's been so wet with me for the last three weeks that I've just invested in a pair of waterproof trail shoes, even though I do most of my running on the road. They really are waterproof as well, right up to the point where you have to run through a pool of water that is so deep that the water goes in the top of the shoe. And then it can't get out again, because the shoe is waterproof both ways. Grumble.
              Man, they are fantastic...or would be if my heels were not so narrow compared to my forefoot. MOST NB shoes fit me really well, but these are backwards--narrow forefoot, wide heels. If you know any female who wears an 8-8.5 wide, I have a deal on some nice shoes for them. I am probably going to put them on eBay either this week or maybe just wait until early next Winter. What kind of shoes did you get? I think next Winter I will just find some nice trail shoes that fit well, then use YakTrax. I had heard that YakTrax tend to only last a few hundred miles, so I thought it would be cheaper to have a Winter trail shoe with removable spikes...hindsight, 20/20 and all that. DH bought me some YakTrax last night and they really work well. But I still had to bail on today's run. The spot on my heel is just too raw. I need to take at least 1-2 days off, now. I'm gonna have to majorly have to HTFU in the coming weeks to get back ahead of the Bunny. Damn, that little bastard is fast! Tongue Shaunna, as if tapers weren't already insanity-inducing, enough! We can take turns kicking that bunny's butt once we're both back up to decent mileage. k

~ Sarah Kay

Just buy another pair of the shoes that you like and put some screws in the bottom. Problems solved.

Run to Win
                25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I've thought about the screw thing, but my favorite shoes are lightweight and have relatively thin soles...a guy at a race on New Year's day had a similar shoe and decided to do the screw thing, then had to remove several when some poked through to his feet--ouchie! Luckily the YakTrax seem to work really well (perhaps not as well as the spikes on the NB shoes, but given that I can put them on ANY shoe, that's a big plus in the YakTrax column). k

~ Sarah Kay

Yeah, I used half inch screws on some road shoes that have almost 500 miles on them that were a little too thin. The heel was fine, and running easy was fine, but when I pick up the pace I can feel them. I wear those shoes when I want to go slow... One of these days I'll just pick up some 3/8" screws and replace the half inchers and the shoes will be fine. Actually, I'll probably be ditching them soon anyway so it won' t matter. You could just use short screws - 1/8" ones might need to get replaced pretty often when they come out but they won't go through. You could use longer screws in the heels, and keep them along the outside of your shoe rather than right in the middle as another method. Or you could just use the yaktrax.

Run to Win
                    25 Marathons, 17 Ultras, 16 States (Full List)

(((Zoomie))) It's still super early in the year ... plently of time to gain on and PASS that damned bunny !
                      2009: BQ?
                        yeah, it's only January, you have time!!!

Jennifer mm#1231

Burninated Peasant

And I have a $100 pair of shoes that don't seem compatible with my left heel. Cry
                          Could be worse. Since skiing at the beginning of the year, I have a knee that's apparently incompatible with running, and these are out of my price range. Even if they were, then I'd have to deal with this.
                          zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Could be worse. Since skiing at the beginning of the year, I have a knee that's apparently incompatible with running, and these are out of my price range. Even if they were, then I'd have to deal with this.
                            Oh, no...but ya' gotta love The Onion! What did you do to your knee? I hope it will heal soon. I had a different pair of shoes that were incompatible with my knees (Asics Kayanos)...my right knee was PISSED for the better part of a month. Speaking of shoes, my 921s are on eBay, so if anyone knows of someone with wide size 8-8.5 shoes looking for a Winter trainer with fantastic traction, send 'em my way! Smile k

~ Sarah Kay

Marquess of Utopia

I use 3/8 screws in the heel and 1/4 in the forefoot. It works great. I would love to find 3/8" solid carbide hex head screws.

Go Pre!

(((Zoomie))) It's still super early in the year ... plently of time to gain on and PASS that damned bunny !
                                Ya, it's early, which I keep telling myself - Under 50 miles for 2008 - I'm getting by on hoping the year pans out and I get some mileage in. LEARNING PATIENCE - again! Still resting and can tell by going down stairs that I am not yet 100% but getting there. On the bright side I have finally got around to trying Yoga including a Yoga for Runners class that I am enjoying (Pricey!) I have biked (exer-cycle) and swam but I like neither as much as running. Sad "Lord, beer me strength" - Jim Halpert (from 'The Office')