1500 Miles So Go Run

Motivation is bogged down (Read 382 times)

That's all I got for a new post, sorry. Sad Too much IRL issues going on and running is taking a back seat for the time being. Anyone got any secret fixes for jump starting motivation and justifying going out for a long run when you feel you shouldn't be "selfish"?

Michelle

A Saucy Wench

I am more productive when I run I am more pleasant to be around when I run (aka I am a crazy bitch when I DONT run) I do a better job IRL when I run I am a better wife/mom/friend when I run I handle stress better when I run I will have more to give to you, if you give me the time to go run now.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

I am more productive when I run I am more pleasant to be around when I run (aka I am a crazy bitch when I DONT run) I do a better job IRL when I run I am a better wife/mom/friend when I run I handle stress better when I run I will have more to give to you, if you give me the time to go run now.
        ALL of these are very good points! Thank you. Smile My trouble right now is finding the importance of any of my running goals. I'm sure this will pass once the IRL issues have calmed down a bit, but it's going to be a long rough road and looking ahead I'm not seeing much improvement on my desire to run. BUT... I'll keep what you've posted here in my head and hope that at some point those words will sink in and I'll rediscover the importance and make the time for my running/therapy! Who knows, it could be tomorrow, or a month from now, but it'll happen.

Michelle

Think Whirled Peas

Michelle, Can you try getting up early on a weekend morning to knock out the long run? My wife and I went around and around this very problem early last year, when I was just starting to run. My long runs were leaving me wiped out and pretty useless the rest of the day. I kept assuring her that it would get better as I continued to get in shape, and I made a consious effort to get out early so that I could be back in time to help out when the kids woke up. It took a while, and it wasn't always pleasant, but my wife knew it was important to me and we both gave it a chance. Life is much better now, and we have come to an understanding about the long runs. Hell, she even started running and is MUCH more understanding about how a run can make it hard to function IRL. Hang in there kiddo, you'll pull through. Sometimes other things in life have to take priority, just try to be flexible and fit the running in when you can. Don't beat yourself up over it. YOU RULE!!!! Smile Q

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

A Saucy Wench

You are also a month post marathon. Post-marathon blues are really common. You just finished this huge goal and NOW what. And why? Motivation loss post marathon combined with RL stress is just tough. Try to at least do some short runs for awhile. One day it will feel good again. Smile

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Ditto Ennay and Mike...and a HUG! Smile

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Michelle, Can you try getting up early on a weekend morning to knock out the long run? My wife and I went around and around this very problem early last year, when I was just starting to run. My long runs were leaving me wiped out and pretty useless the rest of the day. I kept assuring her that it would get better as I continued to get in shape, and I made a consious effort to get out early so that I could be back in time to help out when the kids woke up. It took a while, and it wasn't always pleasant, but my wife knew it was important to me and we both gave it a chance. Life is much better now, and we have come to an understanding about the long runs. Hell, she even started running and is MUCH more understanding about how a run can make it hard to function IRL. Hang in there kiddo, you'll pull through. Sometimes other things in life have to take priority, just try to be flexible and fit the running in when you can. Don't beat yourself up over it. YOU RULE!!!! Smile Q
                Thank you POQ. The household schedule is about to change for summer, but mostly it will change due to our recent family issues involving my 13 y/o son, expulsion for this and next year and lots of legal issues. Once the schedule changes take place I'm hoping that it is easier for me to fit some early morning runs in. Right now it can't happen unless I get out the door at 4:30 and get home by 5:30 so my husband can leave for work. My lunch times have been taken over by appointments with officials, or working through lunch to make up for time I'm out dealing with this stuff. I think that most of it is that I'm just feeling drained emotionally and that has led to my being tired beyond tired. So tired that coffee doesn't budge me. I know that running really does energize me, especially after good workout. I have been running lately, but just the minimum. Last night I was supposed to run after homework was done, but then something unexpected came up related to our issue and we had a parent and another student at our house till 1:00 a.m. Tonight there is a chance for me to get a decent run in while my daughter has travel tryouts. I really think I need to force it. My husband sees the difference in me and is being wonderful with helping me try to find my motivation. He even asked me if we could run a local 5k race this weekend! I don't want to though. Sad It's great that you and your wife were able to go through the adjustments together and that you both kept with it and gave it the time needed to prove it's benefits. It's been a struggle with me and my husband but we're FINALLY in agreement that my running is a good thing. I keep telling myself to look at the big picture when it comes to my running. The down time I have now won't really add up to all that much, and besides, I run for fun, not to save the world or anything like that. Running will be there when life allows more time for it. I might have to work harder to get back to the level I'm at now, but that's okay.

Michelle

You are also a month post marathon. Post-marathon blues are really common. You just finished this huge goal and NOW what. And why? Motivation loss post marathon combined with RL stress is just tough. Try to at least do some short runs for awhile. One day it will feel good again. Smile
                  The post-marathon blues weren't so much the case here. I sort of went through that last year with my first marathon though, so I know how that feels. It was a struggle. This time around finishing the marathon was a huge relief because I want to focus on my 5k goal for the summer, so I was actually excited about being done with my super long runs. I got in touch with my local running buddy and asked him to show up at my house and kick my butt and get me moving. He may be about to turn 60 but that man's got quite a kick, so I'm hoping he'll help me. Smile

Michelle

Ditto Ennay and Mike...and a HUG! Smile
                    Thanks Kirsten. Smile

Michelle

Oh, and what also stinks is my new running shoes are giving me a blister!!!! Angry

Michelle

Forever Learning

Hey Ms. MS, It sounds like running might need to take a bit of a backseat for now. I know I feel great after a 3-4 mile run (they don't all need to be 8+). I do know I feel better about me when I find/make time to run. Maybe that can't happen for the next few weeks - no big thing. I am sorry to hear about the issues with your son and truly hope everything works out...
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Oh, and what also stinks is my new running shoes are giving me a blister!!!! Angry
                          Oh, no! Where is the blister? If it's down by your toes or the soles of your feet DEFINITELY try that Blister Shield powder. AWESOME stuff. If it's back in your heels or achilles area I don't have much advice...I have a tendency to blister in that area, too. I have at least 4 different shoes that have given me issues on the back of my foot.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Oh, no! Where is the blister? If it's down by your toes or the soles of your feet DEFINITELY try that Blister Shield powder. AWESOME stuff. If it's back in your heels or achilles area I don't have much advice...I have a tendency to blister in that area, too. I have at least 4 different shoes that have given me issues on the back of my foot.
                            The blister is along the side near the ball of my right foot. I'll try taping it. I'm back to wearing my old shoes because I dread the blister pain. I should try that blister shield powder, after the marathon in May I had some nasty blisters on the bottom of my foot! Ick.

Michelle

I think I'm feeling better. Things are working out with my son and the plans for next school year. Having that lined up and in order took a lot of stress away. Now we have some legal things coming up but I know what to expect so it's not so scary. I have found that with all of my runs lately I've been forcing myself to get out there but today was different. Today I looked forward to my run since I planned to run with my friend. Once we got started running and chatting we finished 8 miles before I knew it. And I felt great. So maybe my motivation is back. I hope so. Smile

Michelle

Hey Ms. MS, It sounds like running might need to take a bit of a backseat for now. I know I feel great after a 3-4 mile run (they don't all need to be 8+). I do know I feel better about me when I find/make time to run. Maybe that can't happen for the next few weeks - no big thing. I am sorry to hear about the issues with your son and truly hope everything works out...
                                Thank you. Things are working out and looking up. Smile

Michelle