1500 Miles So Go Run

August Goals!!! (Read 292 times)

jeffdonahue

My goals for this month, after a semi-laid back July.

• 200 Miles
    • Find some sort of Fall race to train for
    • Some sort of weight workout (crossfit or other) at least 2x per week
      • Seriously, lose those last few pounds before Sept!
      • Stay on training schedule then...
      • Taper, taper, taper!

My July was my lowest mileage since June of 2011 (which was second month of running), mostly spent recovering from my first ultra.  I'm getting back to the grind and loving it in August.

Goals:

• 200+ miles
        • Runstreak 2.0: smarter, faster.  Don't be an idiot and let it lead to overtraining this time--one mile days when needed.
        • Bye bye run streak.  Found out I need four wisdom teeth out in September, decided this can wait until I don't have a surgery looming
        • Start doing one "workout" a week--tempo or intervals.  I do long runs or hills a lot, but I neglect these.
        • Lose about 5 lbs

"When a person trains once, nothing happens. When a person forces himself to do a thing a hundred or a thousand times, then he certainly has developed in more ways than physical. Is it raining? That doesn't matter. Am I tired? That doesn't matter, either. Then willpower will be no problem." 
        Emil Zatopek

lagwagon

Hi All,

I'm just dropping into this thread to say a quick hello.  I've just joined this group to raise my goal for the year, as I've hit the 1000 mile mark a couple months ahead of schedule.

In training for a November HM, I'm looking to put in 40+ miles a week until that point, then maybe lighten up a bit for the holiday season.  I havent done the math but it should get me beyond 1500 pretty safely.

Of course, the only real challenge in this is staying healthy!

See you around, and good luck on your August goals, cooler days are right around the corner.

I had planned to start marathon training this month for a marathon in October.  This year has been rough for me physically.  This month and last I've dealt with anemia, a strained calf muscle,  and a slight case of PF.  I'm not used to having all these issues. Undecided

I'm also dealing with a rough graduate level course in linear signals and systems.  It is taking up way too much of my time.

So... for August, I've changed my original plans up a bit.  I will not run the marathon in October because I was planning on trying to PR. I don't think it is realistic at this point.  I think I should instead focus on being healthy.  I am running the Air Force half in September, so I plan to get ready for that and maybe try to PR at a half marathon in October. I've also put my name in the hat for the Flying Monkey in November. No fear of trying to PR there. Cool

My August goals are to 1. get well 2. successfully finish this linear signals and systems class (i.e. make a good enough grade to never have to take it again....) 3. start increasing my mileage again if the PF lets me and 4. get a little faster so the Air Force half is more fun.

Live the Adventure. Enjoy the Journey. Be Kind. Have Faith!

200+ sounds good for me too. July was a low month for me and I need to get some good weeks in before September's taper

2018 Goals

Figure out the achilles thing...... and THEN try to get running regularly again.

No racing goals 

Jill_B

I fly.

Seriously... it's half way through the month... I should set some goals.

Well, we are likely actually moving into the new place WITH the construction going on so that's going to put a damper on things... hmmm...

goals...

How about 210 miles?  (I wanted 250, but I wanted 225 last month and since that didn't happen, this probably shouldn't happen...)

Maybe some speedwork?

Bring it on.

jeffdonahue

My goals for this month, after a semi-laid back July.

• 200 Miles
                  • Find some sort of Fall race to train for
                  • Some sort of weight workout (crossfit or other) at least 2x per week

Mile = 240   DONE

Did not find Fall race but decided to play soccer in the Men's 40+ league and to do a HM in February down the Cape   DONE

Did weight workouts all weeks except this week where I opted for extra mileage instead

1. get well

2. successfully finish this linear signals and systems class (i.e. make a good enough grade to never have to take it again....)

3. start increasing my mileage again if the PF lets me 

4. get a little faster so the Air Force half is more fun.

1. Much better!

2. Made an A

3. PF is gone. Mileage on the way up!

4. Running a lot fast than I was during the anemia mess Big grin

It's been a great month!

1. Much better!

2. Made an A

3. PF is gone. Mileage on the way up!

4. Running a lot fast than I was during the anemia mess Big grin

It's been a great month!

This is all very good!

And way to go on 240 Jeff!

• Seriously, lose those last few pounds before Sept!
                        • Stay on training schedule then...
                        • Taper, taper, taper!

Lost 16lbs total, that was my goal (my secret goal was 17lbs...so, I'm going to try to lose 1 more this month!)

Mostly stayed on schedule...

...but, I tapered a week early, just couldn't get out the door this week to run...body was too tired. 

Thanks, Jen.  Congrats on 16 lbs!  That's awesome!

Lost 16lbs total, that was my goal (my secret goal was 17lbs...so, I'm going to try to lose 1 more this month!)

Mostly stayed on schedule...

...but, I tapered a week early, just couldn't get out the door this week to run...body was too tired.