1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

The Honor Roll (Read 11 times)

Eternal Rookie

While people have put up some really impressive numbers in one discipline or the other over the years, the 1000/1000 double is rare. I’ve never achieved it this century. When I looked back there was one year that I only needed to ride 50 miles in the last 6 weeks to hit 1000 and for some reason, I just never made the effort. Jules missed doubling in 2009 by only 43 foot miles. Still, he’s tied with Xhristopher for the most doubles. *Xhristopher only has a partial log for 2009 and nothing entered in 2008. Some people are always late to the party.

Let me know if there are any errors or omissions.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

1000 miles of running in a year was NBD before I got my first bike...now I find that even hitting 700 miles on-foot is a challenge, because if I have a choice I'll get on the bike.  My Winter running mileage is decent, but during the Summer I'm lucky to hit 12 miles/week.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

jules2

i havent been around for a while as I tore my hamstring and it only depressed me to log into RA but Im gradually getting back by having very short runs every morning its bitterly cold this side of the pond and is more like january than early April so I've not been on the bike much but I'm still in my cycling clubs 100k challenge and last month was the 27th consecutive month I've been in it.

Ive just updated my log to take account of March's "activity" as I now have an Iphone so I'm using an App called Strava to log my running and cycling.

I was due to run in a Half marathon next weekend but theres no chance of that so fingers crossed my first race of 2013 will be a 10K around Oxford which goes around the Universities, the members of RAUK have a picnic in the park afterwards.

Hows it going Zoomy are you fully recovered?

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

i havent been around for a while as I tore my hamstring...

Hows it going Zoomy are you fully recovered?

Boo, hamstring!  Glad it looks like it's improving, though.

Wrist is better...still not great, but I can manage road rides.  It's just been stupid cold here, too, so I've only done 2 VERY short rides.  Not sure when I'm going to have the strength/dexterity/confidence to ride off-road, but I'm eyeballing an Olympic du in July, so I may not do much off-road before then, anyhow.

~ Sarah Kay

xhristopher

I'm guessing I was about 800/800 in 09. I only took up running on Thanksgiving of 08 so prior I was busy being lazy and fat.

One odd thing that I noticed at the end of last year is that my yearly activity totals always are close despite different focus or injury:

2010: 3295

2011: 3311

2012: 3375

The difference between each year's total is no greater than a long run or ride. I like the idea of covering enough ground yearly to cross the US.

Thanks for keeping an eye on this tiny group, ER.

Eternal Rookie

Based on the logs that I have access to, we had one member complete the goal in 2013 (and start a streak). Congrats to Runningsteph117.

Runningsteph117

woohoo, i'd like to go for thrice in 2014, but can't be sure at this point...I probably won't get on a bike again for a while, being 8 weeks from baby number 2...and then who knows how i'll get anything done Smile

Eternal Rookie

Jules 2 wrote: could be famous last words but I'm running well and injury free for the first time in a couple of years so hopefully I will appear as a finisher for 2014

On Saturday off to Fuertoventura for two weeks so should be able to rack the miles up as it's 17c at night and 22c during the day!

I had to Google Fuertoventura - very cool. Have fun.

I might make it this year. (I was going to say "if I'm smart" since I have a tendency to do stupid things, so that's almost like asking for something to happen.) Anyhow, I'm starting back up after an 8 week layoff because of a knee fracture so I'll probably spend more time on the bike this year to reduced the pounding.

Eternal Rookie

woohoo, i'd like to go for thrice in 2014, but can't be sure at this point...I probably won't get on a bike again for a while, being 8 weeks from baby number 2...and then who knows how i'll get anything done Smile

When my kids were toddlers, Burley was the way to go. I'm sure there are a ton of bike trailers these days. Just sayin' Wink

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

How's everyone doing?  I'm way over 1k miles on the bike, but way under that running.  Wasn't really going for 1k miles on-foot.  Maybe some year I'll do that again.

~ Sarah Kay

pfriese

Hey Zoom-zoom. I'm the opposite of you. Well over 1000 for the run and non-existent biking this year. Thinking of a half ironman next year, that should provide incentive to get 1000/1000 next year.

Runningsteph117

I'm hanging up the towel for this year. bring it 2015!

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Hey Zoom-zoom. I'm the opposite of you. Well over 1000 for the run and non-existent biking this year. Thinking of a half ironman next year, that should provide incentive to get 1000/1000 next year.

That will definitely have you way over for both!!

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I'm hanging up the towel for this year. bring it 2015!

My 2013 ended like that.  I had abdominal surgery in early Dec...and days later my nephew fell into a coma, then died on 12/23 (he had a brain stem tumor).  So I pretty much said nuts on everything for that last month of the year.  I hope this year ends better, but I'm definitely at that point where I feel burned-out and am ready for a few easy months.

~ Sarah Kay