1000 Miles Running, 1000 Miles Biking

Jules (Read 383 times)

What's with the postal strike? Has it been going on long? I ordered a magazine from the UK and was told that it was delayed because of the "strike".

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
    Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Its difficult to tell, they are going out for two days a week so I assume there will be a cummulative effect.

I will keep you posted ( don't you just love a good pun )

Hows the weather your end ?apart from the odd day we still have dry weather and it was quite mild today.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.

I would suspect an imposter if there were not a good pun in your response

It's getting colder - but no snow yet, our highs are in the low 40's right now, but doesn't take much wind to drop it to the low 30's. Everything just looks grey and dreary, but can't complain as long as the streets stay clear.

How are you doing?

I've just been running maybe 3x/week, and I think it's time to start slowly adding back the biking and strength training. I think I'm going to pick a challenging race for mid 2010 and start trying to get back to focused training in January. It's just too hard to keep up with the exercise without some kind of goal.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
        Thyroid Support Group

jules2

I agree I'm basically lazy so I have to find a race well in advance then tell everybody so I have something to aim for.

Managed just under 30 miles in the last seven days so I'm over my sore throat and my hamstring problems.

I've managed to con my new manager into letting me go part time ( 2 days a week ) as well as getting my full works pension so from 1 February 2010 I'll have the time and money to get down to some long distance events and some serious training as my biking is suffering as I'm doing no distance work.

The only reason I picked February was that I still have three weeks holiday left.

Theres a big backlog of post and more strikes next week.

Congrats on going part time! Wow, can't wait to see what you will be capable of in 2010 with the addition of new training time. Glad to hear the hamstring is behaving!

OK, you convinced me. I'm thinking I might sign up for a race - next Saturday....with a name like "The First Zombie Half Marathon", I'm finding it hard to resist.  goal will be to get as far as I can and hopefully finish. The hardest part of the course are miles 4-6 running through Earthquake Park, but the rest of the course should be relatively easy and probably net downhill.

I can't believe that the weather has been mild enough to even consider a race this late in the year - there has only been 1 other year that we have not had significant snow on the ground at Halloween - and we've been up here over 20 years! I'm leaving it to a race day decision - the first mile is a pretty steep decline - and if it's icy - I'm not going to risk it. Just thinking about the possibility is making me feel better - what is wrong with me!

Go With The Flow
            Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Well done, if you get stuck in a snowdrift blow your whistle and I will come and pull you out.

brrrr

23 at the start, 27 at the finish with windchill in the high teens

at least I was dressed for the weather

click

MTA: got a note saying my mag is on it's way!

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

jules2

brrrr

23 at the start, 27 at the finish with windchill in the high teens

at least I was dressed for the weather

click

MTA: got a note saying my mag is on it's way!

Well done, we haven't got temperatures anywhere near that but the drought has broken and we have heavy rain.

As both my daughters share my wifes good looks we never needed to dress them up at Halloween as they looked scary enough already.

The post strike is getting worse but the aim is to build the backlog up for Christmas and not have an all out strike so the post is getting through but slowly.

I have a 10k XC race in a park in the centre of London on Wednesday, as I'm representing my firm I get paid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parliament_Hill,_London

jules2

Hi Chenille just in case you haven't heard the post strike is over until after Christmas.

We are now having Arctic weather it was 4C ( 40F ) this morning when I cycled into work.

Hi Chenille just in case you haven't heard the post strike is over until after Christmas.

We are now having Arctic weather it was 4C ( 40F ) this morning when I cycled into work.

Good news about the postal strike! Nice of them to hold off until after the holidays, of course if they didn't, they might never recover...

You call that Arctic weather?????  Our highs are now in the 20's....... I think I'm going to log shoveling snow under weight training

Go With The Flow
                      Thyroid Support Group

Still waiting for my magazine.......

and we seem to be neck-in-neck with the running miles - I think we are both going to get there this year!

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Chenille, I've been easing off a bit as I have a sore hip but I should get there this week.

The strike has been long gone maybe the magazine is stuck in the Euro Tunnel?  my daughter spent 14 hours stuck in her car at the French end on Firday night.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8422978.stm

I got my magazine today...publisher said it was the 4th time they sent it.

Yes, it was worth waiting for!

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

jules2

Better late than never, hows the weather now I'm sure we have still got your's as its still very cold here for the time of year we have had the coldest Winter for 30 years which I think equates to your average Spring.

I watched a really good documentary about Alaska last night in case you haven't seen it I assume you can access it from the link below?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qyrzv/Alaska_The_Arctic_Man_Ski_and_SnoGo_Classic/

Jules - can't access the program - it's for UK viewers only.

Weather here has been very strange for February - warm temps ( mid-high 30's), then cold and snow. I was hoping to get outside tomorrow, but the forecast is for high winds - 25-40, with gusts up to 60. I've run when the max has been 25, but I don't think I could handle more than that!

Still, with the sun out, I have a feeling that it won't be long before I break out the running skirt outdoors

Go With The Flow
                                Thyroid Support Group