2000Km-1243 mile club

11-17 October Weekly check-in (Read 332 times)

Hiya - I'll start with a short race report

Chip time 2:22:13 (my Garmin actual read 2:22:22:22) Didn't get to my unstated goal of breaking 2:20 but got a PR. This race is small (700 HMers 100 marathoners) and really nice - very family friendly atmosphere, nice running tee and hat, PB&J after the race but no other extras. The course is very pretty - we started in Wolfville which is a college town and ran out of town on roads that go through valley farmland - apples, grapes, are the mainstay. The course has manageable rolling hills - not like Halifax which has real buttkickers. My plan was to run around 10:30 m/m pace for as long as possible (I practiced this up to 8 miles), hopefully past mile 10. I started fading to 11 m/m around mile 9, but I held on to that basically to the end. I never felt really bad, just couldn't make my legs go faster. Ran the whole way - I only stopped for two  bad gusts of wind...

It was quite windy - like bruises on my calves from my opposite sneaker blown into my leg - windy - blown across the road windy - it took alot of energy out of me (and the other racers as I heard afterwards)

Only negative was that there was more than a bit of opposite lane traffic, especially on the way back as it was homecoming and a holiday weekend, lots of idiots with cigarettes hanging out of their cars really impatient with the racers... Also someone donate some money to update the University women's showers- yikes!

Post-race: We drove through the countryside on the way home - picked up apples and cider - too lazy to go to Digby. I treated husband to a pub dinner for chauffering me around - I haven't convinced him to run the 5K while he waits for me.

Today is Thanksgiving here in Canada, husband did an extra day of work so I spent the day in my pajamas in the kitchen - I made chicken stock, roasted cauliflower for lunch, oatmeal cookies for later in the week, for dinner ginger orange beef stew and apple pear tart for a treat. I went for a walk  - I feel a little tired and my quads are a little sore but way better than the May race.

Happy monday and I'm taking it easy this week,

Still dreaming of a 2:15 - next time! A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, nice job, and a PR too! Congrats.

2:22:22.22 on 10-10-10. Now that's cool!

I had a nice 6-3/4 easy run today, the ankle didn't bother me at all.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Great report Ayola.  Thanks for taking the time to write it up.  Congratulations on the PR.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Great report Ayola.  Thanks for taking the time to write it up.  Congratulations on the PR.

...what he said - loved reading all about it ASmile  Running in windy conditions has a serious impact - you did fantastic!

Russ - relieved to hear the ankle is doing well..thanks for including that bit.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Ayola: awesome race! Fantastic finish time with a PR. Great job! And I loved reading your RR. I have the same goals for my HM this Sunday: (1) PR and (2) finish in 2:20. 

I did a 45 min LB w/o and a 10 min run yesterday (1.53K).

Slept in this morning. So I should run after work. But we all know my track record of running after work (it probably won't happen). Otoh, I'm in this daily run challenge, so I should at least run 10 minutes Wink 

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

Ayola...Always great to feel good after a race knowing you have done your best.  Nice job on the PR and sounds like a fun day.

I have been running off an on and hope to run 1000 miles this year at this rate.  I remember when I was running with Dutchie and Perfessor but I am taking a well needed break.  My back issue turned out to be a herniated disc so am doing PT and am running 5 and under when I am up to it.  I am keeping up with your runs though!  More pictures please!

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

Crabby--Herniated disk, OUCH! I've had one of those and it's not something I'd wish on anyone. PT does wonders.

So I had a nice 12.5 mile run on the trails today, the same trail that's the second half of the race that I worked on Sunday. Holy crap, now I know why the runners were so exhausted coming through mile 23, that's a tough, tough trail--12 miles wore me out. No bears this time.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Crabby! I missed you and was wondering what was up. Herniated disk! How did that happen??

Tonight is the start of my Wednesday night medium-length run, so I ran 6 tonight. I'll increase it up to 8 over the next couple weeks and then stay there.

Got new orthotics yesterday - which I did not wear tonight. Either I need to adjust to them or they need adjusting. Will do some more short runs in them and then decide.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Easy 3 miles after work yesterday. Legs were a little cranky but the park was wonderful, about 10ºC, fall is coming in fast which is fine with me!

Crabby: Great to hear from you. I really hope the disc gets better with PT... also I'm getting worried about getting past 1000mi. I hope they let me in the group next year...

Dutchie and Perfesser: good luck with your races. I'm sending positive thoughts your way.

Off to Vermont - talk to you next week, A

Recalculating...

Got back into a little speed work today for the first time since my injury.  2 x 200m, 2 x 400m, and 800m.  Did not notice any lingering effects in the injury area, just the regular kind of good pain.  It's going to take a while to get my speed back up, but I have some goals next year that are going to need SPEED!

Dog-Love

Thanks for your thoughts and my disc is healing.  Seems I slept wrong and kinked my neck.  Probably was a budding problem though over the year.  Bad posture...sitting too much...and sleeping with too much pillow action.  Now I sleep with a rolled towel under my neck and I am super conscious of my posture.  And I practice my PT consistently.  Feeling better every day.

Nice 5.5 mile run today in the cold rain

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Now I sleep with a rolled towel under my neck and I am super conscious of my posture. 

I started the minimalist pillow technique about 15 years ago after I spent 2 months of chiropractor visits getting my neck straightened out.  I actually think learning to sleep posturepedic did more for me than the chiropractor did.

I think I will be out for the rest of the weekend.  The first back to school bug is making it's way through the house and I'm down for the count.

Dutchie42

Thanks for your thoughts and my disc is healing.  Seems I slept wrong and kinked my neck.  Probably was a budding problem though over the year.  Bad posture...sitting too much...and sleeping with too much pillow action.  Now I sleep with a rolled towel under my neck and I am super conscious of my posture.  And I practice my PT consistently.  Feeling better every day.

Nice 5.5 mile run today in the cold rain

Sleeping with a towel? I should try that. My neck is a problem ever since I ended up with a severe whiplash (near C1) after I was rear ended. Hence the many headaches. I've tried every kind of pillow on the market I think. Except for the water pillow. And sleeping without a pillow. I sometimes think my neck is why I never feel rested when I wake up (matrasses are 3 yo).

Ayola: thanks for your positive thoughts. I'll need them tomorrow if I want to PR Wink

Dutchie
                            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

Yup the towel is the way to go.  It should just fill the curve of your spine and give your head support so it is notarching back.  Try it!

Ran a 5K today for AWARE and did better than expected.  Rainy and cold and lots of mud puddles.  Nice way to start the day.  Heading up to Fairbanks tomorrow so lots o sitting and talkin

Imminent Catastrophe

Did an easy 2 on the treadmill just to stay loose and it felt great! Very stiff at first, then at the end I felt much better and ready for tomorrow. 

Our Georgia is having difficulties. In the past week or so she's been uncoordinated and stumbling, and whipping her head around like she's got vertigo or something. And won't eat or drink. Anyway she's at the vet and it doesn't look good. Poor little thing, she is a survivor of a horrific puppy mill and has always been very shy, she's had enough bad luck.