2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in 3 May to 9 May (Read 348 times)

I'll start!

I'm at home today - I woke up this morning with a gorilla sitting on my chest - totally exhausted, throat's a little sore - this is generally my body's way of telling me a cold is coming on. Very little sleep this weekend is probably contributing. Went for a short walk for some fresh air but that's my work out for the day. I will take all precautions to preserve my fun weekend in NY.

Luckily I can get some drawing done at home. If I stop web surfing...

Still aiming for a 30 mile week and 90-100 miles in May.

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Easy 4 with Daisy today, it was mild but very, very humid after thunderstorms all night (the same system that deluged Nashville). 19 days to the marathon and as usual I feel undertrained. This will be my last week of hard training before a mini-taper. I'll probably do my long run Thursday at Chickamauga on the horse trails.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

5 miles this evening; sunny, but temps in the high 30's with the windchill.It felt good, to tell you the truth. My back is better today and I was careful with my posture, so I did ok. I really think I'm finally making progress. Moving away from those 11 to 12 mpm runs. Two tonight were around 10:20 and I averaged 10:40 mpm. It's encouraging. I think the short hills I've been including recently might be helping.  I'm also trying to get to bed an hour earllier - which is hard to do.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Just a dude.

Easy 7 today...  I actually talked to my brother on the phone for half of it... so I was definitely running slow enough to talk... Wink

Did some drills and pushups after... 

Tomorrow is my first day of intervals... Kinda nervous...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Dutchie42

Gooooood Morning everyone,

Feeling much better now that I'm allowed to sit up, walk around the house a little and read!

I'm starting to see a little at the very top of my vision. The gas still has to come down quite a bit before I have full vision again. And no work till it's completely gone.

I've been looking at the bunny and feel very disappointed it gained on me and then passed me. I've calculated that when I'm allowed to run again after 17 May, it has a lead on me of about 90 kilometers. It'll be months before I catch up with that little monster again.

I officially withdrew from the Roparun. I feel so bad about that. But there are more important things then that. Guess I'll be focusing on my September races once I get the OK to run again.

Everyone have a great week and the most excellent runs

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Good morning, everyone!

Dutchie - been wondering how your surgery went. Sounds like you have a slow recovery process ahead of you. While it's easy to understand that your vision takes priority over running, it's still disappointing for you to have to put it on the back burner. May 17 is barely a month out though. Hopefully it will go by quickly for you. 

Ayola - how's the cold? Were you able to shake it off?

Gotta log off and get to work. Hope everyone has a great day.

Dutchie: Damn the bunny - we just want you to feel better!

Happy: I had a regular day today - six slow miles and work - I'm pooped! Light sore throat but otherwise OK (everyone in the office is hacking away) I'll definitely go to bed early - as soon as the sun sets (8:30-9). Its beautiful and warm here today so I'm going to get a book and sit on our mini balcony for a half hour and work up some energy to  get the dinner going.

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie, glad you're on the mend! Take it easy. After all, you're still ahead of me.

ayola, I'm glad you're recovering. 

Kelly, I'm glad someone does those middle-distance events, I can't stand running that hard--it hurts too much!

Nice 10-mile trail run today, alongside a lake (it's an Army Corps of Engineers lake so there will never be commercial development there--yay!), they've opened a 3.5-mile trail there and it was beautiful:

Unfortunately I lost my Oakley sunglasses. Doh!

I have that wascally wabbit in my sights, if all goes as planned I should pass it on Thursday, at least temporarily, then for good the week after. Then set my sights on the marathon-per-week bunny. 

I have had some minor discomfort in my left ankle and plantar fascia but so far it's under control. My left foot is in a bucket of ice water right now and Taz, who is fascinated with ice cubes, is really enjoying it and is stealing all my ice!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Ohhh, you have no idea how much I needed to see that! PerfesserR, that lake looks gorgeous and the day so beautiful. We have had rain, gray skies, lots of wind  all day today. Not so inviting for my jaunt this evening. I wanna run where you run!  I'll try to keep the pic in my mind while I'm out. Thanks for posting it. I also enjoyed the mental image of Taz and the ice cubes - very entertaining. 

Ayola, your evening sounds very pleasant and restful. Feel better!

MTA: Well I've determined that even though I could run the day after my long run, I shouldn't. Tonight's run was slow and uncomfortable; I think I'll give my legs a rest tomorrow.

Just a dude.

Dutchie... Good to hear from you... glad you seem to be doing well... Have a speedy recovery...

Perfessor... Nice pic.  Makes me want to run to some of the lakes up above Tahoe here... If only the snow would melt...  

My interval day had mixed results... Goal was 5x1000 with a 600 (4 minute) jog... 

I didn't know what to run them in... I put my time trials into the mcmillan calculator, and just guessed... I ended up with a goal of 4 minutes or under...

I ran the first in 3:52... and I was scared... It hurt...

Ran the second in 3:54... it hurt more...

Ran the third in 3:55... Ouch... HAD to go to the bathroom... no way around it... only jogged 200, but still was about 4 minutes...

Ran the fourth in 3:58... I was slightly fresher for the first maybe 200 with the shorter jog... but I was still struggling... Mentally it was killing me...

I blew up on the 5th... I quit at about 350 in... jogged to the 400 in 1:37...  

I walked...

I started getting angry... I hate quitting.

After 100, I jogged 300 more (4 minutes) and did my 5th again...

Ran it in 4:02... I even pushed my last 200 pretty hard to get under 4... But I was toast...

Not the right way to do that workout... but for my first set of intervals I'm happy... I think it did what it was supposed to do... 

Did a 2 mile cool down, and I feel ok...  

I will do this workout again and beat it...  

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Perfesser: Beautiful trail! I wish I was there this morning - it was pretty rainy here - I may have seen a drop or two of snow. Another slow 6. I ran without the Garmin yesterday and today for a mental break.

Talk to you guys next week - going home for the weekend. Have a good one!

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Another nice trail run on Fort Mountain today, 7 miles and I saw a bobcat! That's a first for me.

Dutchie42

Perfesser: just another day and you'll have passed me too. Before I can run again, Crabby will be ahead of me as well.

Beautiful pic of the lake though. Looked like a lovely day.

Ayola: how are you feeling? We're overrun by Canadians this week Lots of veterans here. And surprisingly, lots of youngsters too.

Kelly: running and making a phone call. Better not let the "real runners" hear about that. They'd make fun of you.

Happy Feat: it takes some time to get used to a recovery run the day after a long run. Plus I've noticed that it's harder to do the recovery run when I'm in a building phase. I usually don't go any longer than 20 minutes (longer if Spike's with me, but than I let Spike set the pace, which means lots of stopping to let him sniff).

Me: for my R-eye it now looks like I'm wearing swimming goggles partly filled with water. LOL.

Dutchie
                            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Finally passed the little varmint (for now), it took me longer than I'd hoped. Hopefully I can be ahead for good by next week.

Hard 15.8-mile trail run at Chickamauga on the horse trails, it was warm and humid, the flies were really obnoxious, and I was pretty tapped out by the end. Then once I got home I needed 2.4 miles on the TM to get my miles in (I did a challenging hill program, not just wanting to do junk miles). These trail runs are definitely harder than road runs. Next week is taper, I'm looking forward to it. 

Russ- Last long run done!  I think you are more ready than you think.  Enjoy your taper.

Happy- It is definitely a process to get your speed back up with new form.  Way to stick with it.  I know it will pay off.

Kelly- I'm thinking your intervals were just a little on the aggressive side .  Points for the effort but I think you actually would have gotten more out of a little more conservative pace.  If you can't run your last one faster than the rest then you were probably going too fast.  Also, watch out for that hip pain.  That was the start of my 3 month layoff.  You can't let those hip flexors get too tight, it will hurt something.

I'm still laying off the runs.  I actually just started walking without a limp just a couple days ago.  I've been enjoying the time on the bike and in the pool.  Did my longest bike (15 miles) and my longest swim (800m) this week.  The pool was up to 80F yesterday, felt great.