2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in: 13-19 September (Read 289 times)

Sticking to the plan this week!

I did almost 5 easy on monday; 60 minutes of lower body weight training on tuesday - with a 2 mile warm up on the TM; today 20 min elliptical and lots of stretching.

How's it going out there? A

Recalculating...

How's it going out there? A

Well, the heat's gotten to Russ and he's posting this week's work on last week's thread.  I've not run in three days trying to give a nagging calf injury a time to heal (apparently the "run through it" strategy doesn't always work).

But I think we're all on pins and needles waiting to hear how Dutchie is doing....

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, the heat's gotten to Russ and he's posting this week's work on last week's thread

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

I was definitely going to stick to my plan this week, whether I felt like running or not.

I started the week well on Monday with a LB, UB and 5K run on Monday. Feeling good, but with a sore throat. Just to be struck down with flu like symptoms (but no fever) by Monday night. Can you believe it?! I was wondering when it would hit me, cause all around me everyone was having the same.

Tue I did get up early cause I was determined to run, but as I left the bathroom and flipped the switch to turn off the light, there was a bang and a white/blueish flash and everything went dark and quiet. I was worried about fire: you hear about that don't you. A short circuit and then fire, so I didn't dare leave the house for a run with my boys still in bed. The TM wasn't working ofcourse. I didn't dare go back to bed either. Had to wait in the dark with a head lamp till 8AM before I could call an electrician. He got everything working again quick enough. They're coming back this afternoon to fix the switch and wiring in the bathroom. 

Anyways, by Wed morning I was really feeling sick and had to skip my run in favour of my bed. 

It's Thu now and I'm feeling much better though still having a headache and will hop on the TM for a short run in a few minutes. I'll report back on that later.

It's a bad week for nearly everyone on my team (for the 10 miler on Sunday), cause they're all having a sore throat, headaches, stuffy nose, some even have a fever and haven't been to work.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Ohhh Dutchie! That's awful that you all are so sick. What bad timing for you and the rest of your team!  Maybe it's a short lived virus and you all will be feeling better by the weekend - we can hopeSmile

I'm only 7 miles behind the Bunny now! I can almost pull it's tail! I'm soo soo happy about that.

Had my 2nd visit with the physical therapist tonight and am very impressed. She has been able to explain the basis for a variety of symptoms I have and given me exercises to help - fingers crossed! These include more advanced versions of the 3-directions of Plank and of Bridge, along with a couple other leg ones and some further guidance on running posture and an exercise to mobilize the SI joint when it gets stuck. Turns out since my left SI joint has been somewhat locked up, I've been lifting my left hip at the waist when running and overworking the right glute, and giving myself scoliosis for god's sake! and she says it all ties in with the bursitis. I  know - too much detail! But I feel very jazzed that she seems to have insight into what the hell is wrong and how to mobilize and strengthen the parts that need it. It's really great after having tried a few other PT over the last several years, the last one who pretty much said she thought I was a freak for running. - and none who were of help. This one is a runner and cyclist though, so I had hope.

Thanks for listening.Blush

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie: I'm sorry the team isn't feeling well. Sometimes pre-cold I feel generally bad for awhile and can't put a finger on it - maybe that caused that down time week last week... My favorite remedy is literally chicken (noodles if you like) soup. My grandmother and I used to make the noodles together.

Happy: Why can't all docs be athletes?

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie and Happy--get better!

I was going to do a trail run today but was waiting for the tree guy to come and chip our brushpile, anyway by the time he finally showed up it was too late to drive to the trailhead so I just did 3 treadmill miles and it was dreadful. I was in such a bad, lazy mood by then and didn't want to, but somehow managed to get in my 3 on a hill program. Ech. One of those days.

I suppose I have an excuse because I'm tapering for next Saturday's race. That will be really cool, it runs along part of the Western States 100 course and finishes at No Hands Bridge, it's kind of like a Holy Land for trailrunners. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

Hmmm. maybe I'm tapering for the HM next Saturday?? cause I haven't budged from the computer since I got homeJoking  but I will...actually I had decided on yoga instead of running for tonight since I'm sore from yesterday's PT exercises - some of those muscles aren't used to working that much...I'm just not sure how conducive the wine and pretzels I've had are to yoga...?  I think I am getting better, BTW, because I just ran 5 days in a row - which hasn't happened in months seriously  and my weekly mileage is back up to the high 20's - yay!

PerfesserR: It was a long time ago, but I've been in that part of California and hiked, swam, and floated in an inner tube right near No Hands Bridge....memories.  It is so very cool that you're doing that run thereCool

PS. How come you get to have a tree guy come do your chipping for you, while I have to live with huge piles of branches dotted around until WE do the chipping? hmmmm...just kidding.Clown

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy--wine and pretzels--two of my major food groups. I love it! 

Christians go to Jerusalem

Muslims go to Mecca

I'm going to No Hands Bridge. 

Regarding the chipping, it's because DW wants it that way. She called the tree guy. "Nuff said. 

HappyFeat

Dutchie42

Happyfeat: that's gorgeous. 

Perfesser: Looks kinda tough to run there. Thanks for the well wishes. You passed me in the ytd. I have to chase you now Evil

Did Cheetah Fast (Runervals 3.0) on the TM today. Guess what: I enjoyed myself again Smile Jeez that's a tough workout though. I've done this one regularly in Winter. But I always just did the speed intervals and ignored the inclines. Today I did both at the same time. AND, for the first time my top speed was 11.0K. And I did that at 5% incline! 

I made the mistake  of having a shake before my run and did I pay for that. I should've known my stomach doesn't handle speed intervals and a shake very well. I did it once before and almost threw up. Same today.I had to walk when coach Troy had you recover at base pace, but I'm pleased, especially since I haven't been feeling well. 

Dutchie
                        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, 

Thanks!  

I was just reading about the "hill" at mile 20 that they call Cardiac. Yeah, that's a great place for a big hill. Should be fun.

Ran a little 8K this morning.  Not a very big turnout but I'll take it anyway.  6th overall and 1st for 40-44.  I was very happy with my time of 33:39.

HappyFeat

That's a great way to start the weekend, Jeff! Good for you!

Rest/yoga day for me. Got off work early yesterday and did my LR of 10 miles then.

Dog-Love

High school cross country meet here in Juneau and we are housing 2 kids from the middle of nowhere AK. They are Yupik and have some great stories.  My daughter and son are running in the meet and I will run the community 5K.  My dd made varsity as a freshman and hopes to qualify for the State competition nexxt week.

I have been off and on running since my weird back injury.  I am still running 5 or less but its not feeling great.  Last weekend I ran a 14 mile leg of a 150 mile relay that ends in the YUKON and although the race is super-fun, I had a very bad run.  Just glad to finish it.  I ran from 1:00 am until 3:30 am.  I should have been done by 3:10 but oh well. 

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)