2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check in: 4-10 October (Read 308 times)

Its Wednesday and I'm pretty worried about the race on Sunday. Last Sunday's run was good (8 miles in 90 minutes) but yesterday and this morning have been so so...I've planned rest days (maybe some elliptical/ stretching) for tomorrow and Friday.

Super busy at work - consultants have been exceptionally annoying this week, only leaving me two days to review their drawings before a deadline - - but maybe I'm just nuts about the race.

Hope all is well in the rest of the universe, A

PS Perfesser - I love that medal

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Ayola: don't worry about the race. You've trained for it. You'll do fine. Really! Just focus on the fun you'll have and the feeling of accomplishment.

Perfesser: congrats on the Run Crazy Horse Marathon. Fantastic time too. And such a beautiful medal! How's the ankle now?

Me: I joined a daily run challenge on DailyMile. Should help me get back on track. Monday I even ran 10 easy minutes on the TM after dinner. Just short enough it didn't bother my tummy. 

I'm officially signed up for the Vancouver marathon, booked a flight and am in the process of booking the B&B. I feel guilty for spending that much money on a marathon. OTOH, it's also my annual vacation. My boys already said they weren't vacationing with me next year (they'll be off to Spain). So why do I feel guilty? 

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Dutchie, the ankle feels good today, I'm being extra cautious because of so many races in a short time. Vancouver is such a great place, that should be a nice marathon. At first I thought you were saying it was on January 5, which would be a strange time for a race in B.C. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Here's my contribution for the day - an enjoyable essay on running. Not sure how I came across it - may have been mentioned on RA before. I haven't a clue how to insert a link, but you could cut-and-paste this into your browser:

http://www.perratt.me.uk/others/runners.htm

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Easy 5 today, everything seems to be in working order. The cool Fall weather helps. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

HappyFeat

CONGRATULATIONS  to andsmit and ChrBech for reaching the Mileage Goal !!!!

Great work, you two!

Dutchie42

Thoroughly enjoyed it this morning. It was darkish, overcast and sort of hazy. Lots of big agricultural machinery on the road. Had to step off the road at least 6 times this morning. Plus a couple of breaks for doggie business. Now that we're running in the dark, Spooky isn't allowed off leash. Meaning whenever she stops, I stop.

Dutchie

Perfesser: Glad that ankle is healing, gearing up for Detroit and NYC!

Dutchie: Thanks, I definitely worry to much... luckily work has been super busy so I have something to occupy my brain with. Work, dinner, one hour on couch, sleep, repeat.

A

Recalculating...

Back out for the first time after 5 days off. Five days.  I should check my log, but I don't know the last time I skipped more than two days.  3 easy miles down to the Hudson River, along the river path and then back to Chelsea.  I thought the rest had paid off as I was pain free for most of the run, but my calf started to get tight at the end of the run.  Oh well, great to get in a little run and fun to run in NYC. 

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

drPhibes: I probably wasn't paying attention, but what's wrong with your calf?

Bit chilly this morning, but nice 5.88 kilometer doggie run with Spikey&Spooky. First time in, I don't know, probably over 2 years that I ran with my MP3 player again. Not for music, but reloaded my iTread outdoor workouts on it again. It was actually really nice to hear someone coach me, telling me what to do. I think I'll take Grace with me again for my long run tomorrow. 

Off to add on a LB w/o before my muscles cool off too much and I have to do a warm up.

Dutchie

Got some hardware this morning from the local 5K.  I was trying to break 20 but I settled for a 20:05.  It's a tough little course with lots of hills so I guess I'll take it.  It was good enough for 3rd place in the masters.

A few months (actually almost a year ago) I experienced some after-run tightness in my right calf (ironically after I had made a point to stretch becuase it had been a tough run).  That continued off and on until this summer when I aggravated it with a combination of track workouts, plus two 5Ks in two weeks, plus some tempo runs. Bottom line: ramped up the effort more than I should have.  It started as some tenderness plus severe tightness.  I rested it and tried to run through it, but everytime I'd do anything at a fast pace I'd have severe cramping and soreness afterward and then tightness and soreness the next day.  While running, I wouldn't feel it too much, but I was starting to worry about compensation injuries.  So, after running a 15K last weekend and finding myself almost unable to stand shortly after the race I decided to try a longer rest. 

Ran this morning, again very easy, with no pain.  Half marathon next Saturday so I've got to decide whether I'm going to run anything at pace between now and then or just take it easy and hope I remember how to run.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Ran the NODM HM course this morning and rounded up to 14 miles. It was my second LR with Scooter. Running with other people has its downsides. For example, I should have stopped and stretched some muscle cramps at mile 11, but didn't because I wanted to keep up with her and that made the last 3 miles really hard. Next time (if there is a next time) I'll just tell her I'll see her at the end!

Good luck tomorrow Ayola!

Jeff - sounds like you did extremely well today - with your time and earning a medal - Congratulations!

Brian - have you tried sitting on the floor with your legs out in front of you and rolling your calf on a tennis ball until you find the knot(s) in your calf  that are probably the source of the problem? Once you find them, you can just press into the ball, or lay the other leg on top to add some weight, and press into it for a minute at a time.  This forces the blood out of the area, then when you release the pressure, blood flow rushes back in.   When you have a tight or cramped muscle, there is already a lack of blood flow aggravating the situation. Massage and trigger point massage gets more blood into the area for healing and elasticity.  Additionally, an ice pack to the area a few times a day will help too.

Imminent Catastrophe

Didn't run today, but I had a nice 6 mile hike marking the trail for tomorrow's Mystery Mountain Marathon and 12 miler. It was a beautiful day for a walk in the woods.  Tomorrow I'll help out at an aid station.

Dutchie42

Ayola: good luck on the race today. Run run run Smile

Dutchie