2000Km-1243 mile club

February! (Read 22 times)

Seven miles on a bright cold morning. No ice, no excuses.

Six more weeks of winter...

Happy saturday, A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Hi Ayola,

Sounds like a nice run just the same. I'm also counting down to spring.

Only managed one run after the arithmia two weeks ago. Get my test results tomorrow. I'll start over tomorrow and I'll run strictly by HR for the next couple of weeks. No sprints, just easy running and plenty of walk breaks if my HR exceeds 150 bpm.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Hi Dutchie, Ayola, and everyone elseCool

Spring will be here before you know it. It's been a semi-sunny weekend here with temps up into the 40's. It's been such a mild winter here in general that spring might not seem much different. I ran 10 miles yesterday on the trail with my friend. It was supposed to be easy, but felt strenuous probably because of last Wednesday's tempo run. She told me a friend of hers is trying to organize a trail half marathon in April on the same trail we use....glad I'm getting lots of practice on it already!

Glad you also got out for a nice long run on Saturday, Ayola.

Well I'm supposed to be helping put a new roof on the wood shed. Now I've got the Mexican Bean Pasta soup started, I better get out there!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Hi all, still around, just be head down arse up getting some time on my feet.

Looks like you had a pretty eventful January Happy, hope things are looking up.

Me, had a good January, weather has been hot so been trying to get runs in at a variety of times, sometimes hot, sometimes warm.  I think my worst was 16 km at 31 deg C.  Had a family holiday at the beach, so had a couple of beach runs and some nice hill training.

Getting ready (read as starting to crap myself) for my next ultra (67 km road) in <3 weeks, then 3 weeks after that I have my first 100 at Tarawera - that's the one PerfersserR did when he came downunder last year. I's sure it will be fun.

Happy running all

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Hey - good to hear from you Puke. Sounds like your training is going really well.

I'm basically treading water at the moment, waiting for all the shoes to drop. My back which is supposedly "fixed" still hurts and DH is still unemployed. February  will be the first month making a go of it on my pay alone. Have yet to see the ER medical bill from him sawing off his fingertip, but  now he broke a molar and had to go to the dentist today. I have no doubt the dentist will cost more than the ER.  I guess I'm stress-eating , which is making me feel worse.  I make frequent "fresh starts" that go nowhere.

On the positive side, I've been enjoying my weekly trail runs and I hope that next Sunday's 25K trail race  goes well. After that, I'll get back into the groove of weekly tempo runs and try to make some progress there.

Dutchie42

THE slowest 5K ever yesterday: it took me a full 40 minutes of running and walking keeping my HR below 150bpm to finish 5 kilometers Roll eyes As I had the day off I did chest/back/shoulders before dinner. And core after dinner. This morning was a LB workout and back to work.

Happy: really hope things will get better soon.

Puke: I'm sure you'll do well. You've been training for long enough to have a good base.

Dutchie

Dutchie42

And another incredibly slow 5K run/walk this morning Disapprove I have an exercise stress test next week so I'll find out then if I can go back to my old wicked ways.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Dutchie, getting a run accomplished certainly sounds like a frustrating endeavor for you right now! Do you have to watch the HR while doing the weight training too?

Dutchie42

Happy: yes, but during weight training the HRmax is around 115 and I'm avoiding the high rep/low weight type of strength training right now cause I'm trying to build back some muscle. My HRmax peaks around 160 when I do plyo training, cardio HiiT, Tabata or boxing, but that's only for short bursts by nature, so I kind of ignore that.

It is frustrating. The first 10 minutes into my run I don't mind so much cause I tend to have to stretch my calfs 2 or 3x times anyway. So having to stop a little more often, well, that's OK. But once it's all warmed up and I can really get going, It's very frustrating. On the one hand, I'm hoping the exercise stress test next week is negative cause then I can get back to whatever I want to do. On the other hand, I would really like to know what happened, why do I have these lingering symptoms and can I avoid it next time.

Dutchie

HappyFeat

PerfesserR, I saw this entry of yours on the Trail Runners list of races:

Feb 9/10  Delirium 24 Hour  SC

Are you still on for that? Do you have any set goal for it - besides not becoming delirious?

Imminent Catastrophe

Yeah, heading down there tomorrow. I haven't been training very consistently. My goal is, take it easy, enjoy the company of my fellow idiots,  and see how I feel. I'd like to run my age (54), or maybe more miles than degrees (66?) or some other meaningless number. That's the beauty and drawback of a timed course, you can quit any time and aren't out in the wilderness. So it's good, but so much easier to quit, so it's a test of discipline. Of course if I feel like something is injured I'll quit and call it a day (night). I have my iPod loaded up with all sorts of podcasts and books, plus music of course. I probably WILL become delirious at some point, and when that happens I can jump in my Jeep and take a nap!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Hope it goes well for you. From the website photos, it looks like a pleasant course. I like the idea of 54 miles for 54 years.  Good luck!

MTA: Could you have done it as a charity fundraiser? where people would pledge so much for every mile you complete? That would give you further incentive, right? Something to think about for future such events perhaps.

Alrighty Perfesser, have a great time. 54 miles?

I'm still in my PJs as  the first foot (of 3) of snow has fallen. Best I can hope for is treadmilling  tomorrow. Lots of shoveling scheduled for later...

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Did a nice 5.12 kilometer run/walk on the TM. Didn't feel so frustrated today. Actually enjoyed the run. It felt sooooo easy Wink Afters, I added a LB workout, but skipped the warm up cause I just came off the run. My butt's on fire now.

Perfesser: how did it go?

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

It actually went fairly well. I really took it easy, running about 30 minutes then walking 3-5. It's a nice, smooth, pine-needle mulched 1.3 miles and .4 on a paved bike path. After about 15 miles my legs were feeling pretty tired and I was thinking it was going to be really hard, but they recovered. Anyway after 12 hours I had the same number of laps as last year (34) but whereas last year my legs were completely toast, this time (because of my conservative start) I still had a lot left. I kept going almost 4 more hours until my left ankle was getting pretty sore and I had to slow to a walk, and that caused me to get really cold (it was colder than forecast and I wasn't dressed properly). So I ended up with 72 miles, my second longest run ever. Not quite enough for a medal (85 miles) but got a nice hoodie, knitted cap and beer pint glass.

These long ultras do strange things to your brain. At one point on the loop there was a big billboard that said "Hogan". Later on, every time I passed it I pictured this:

HOOOOGANNNNN!

That cracked me up, every time, and just helped my attitude a bit.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016