2000Km-1243 mile club

February! (Read 22 times)

Ok Happy - sounds like there's time for a rest week sometime in the near future - let in a little healing.

A

PS plenty of wine with the pizza

Recalculating...

Happy - yup I'm plodding along with my cobbled together trainIng plan, slowly increasing LR - hoping to get to 16 by late April. 8.8 slow miles (10:1 run walk) felt easy except for the really steep hill in Point Pleasant park. The only downside was that it was cold -5*C i was chilled for a couple of ours after. Today's recovery run was much harder after hubby's pizza party went very late (Mmmmmm prosciutto arugula peppers with homemade tomato sauce!)

As for you - maybe you need a rest week  after the hard trail race. do you have another race coming up?

Pukekura -  Smash! Is that the final training run before the 100K? what do  you eat to keep you going for 7 hours? I'd never make it without food and coffee... Heck, I've never run more than 15 miles and change.

have a great and restful Sunday folks, A

mmmmm pizza, could have done with some on Saturday

For fuel I ate 2 PBJ sandwiches, 2 bananas, some pretzels, and about 6 litres fluid (3 water 3 electrolyte).  Just about had a crisis 3km from the finish when I came across a coffee cart, just had to close my eyes and keep running.

And yes, final long run before the 100 km trail race.  Not much of a gap which is not a good idea, but least i didn't get injured.  And I did ease of near the end to conserve my energy :-)

-5 deg C, wow, just can't imagine what it is like to run in that temp.  Slow and steady and I am sure you will get to you 16 mile goal.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Happy - Nice effort on the 25K.  Sounds like a very challenging course.

Puke - Nice 67K.  Very impressive improving by 50 min.

Brian - How did the marathon go?

Brian - How did the marathon go?

Not as well as I would like, but I got what I deserved.  All along my internal debate was whether to run 9:30s and PR by a couple of minutes, or run 9:09 and get under 4:00.  Race morning was cool, but clear and warming quickly.  Based on experience, I knew the heat was going to be a problem, but decided nothing ventured, nothing gained and went for it.  Hit the half at 1:59:54, but already knew I was in trouble.  Held pace to 16 and then cut back to 9:30. The next 3 miles were along the shore of Lake Pontchartrain with no shade, 3 bridges to climb and a stiff headwind.  By 19 I was done. Did a 50/50 walk/run the rest of the way for a 4:16:22. 4 minutes over PR.

Like I said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Maybe I could have done a steady 9:30, but then I'd be wondering if I could have done 9:09. I do wish I'd slowed down at 13 (could have dropped to 10:00 at that point and still PR'd).  In hindsight there is no point in saying: I'll run pace X for a few more miles and then slow down.  I guess I hoped I'd find some miraculous second wind. Bottom line: only 8 weeks of quality training leads to a weak finish.

Was down with a group, including 3 top 25 finishers, so we had a great time celebrating that night and the next day.  If you're in New Orleans and want a unique experience, check out Bacchanal a combination wine shop and al fresco restaurant where you can drink what you buy.  If you're in a good bar and want a good cocktail, try a sazerac.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Brian -  From looking at your splits from the race it looked like that might have been what happened.  That is the tough decision to make for a marathon.  By the time you realize your pace is too fast/slow it's too late.  Sorry it didn't work out for you but it sounds like you put in a good effort.  At least you had a good time.

HappyFeat

Thanks for the details of your NO marathon, Brian. Great finish time! To come so close to your PR with an effort that included walking must tell you that given the right conditions, you certainly could have improved on it.

It sounds like you didn't put a lot of pressure on yourself over what the outcome would be. That's so important. One of the ladies I sometimes run trails with goes the complete other way. She's done a couple marathons recently missing her 4-hour goal and she literally becomes sick for weeks afterward and barely runs.  She is only now running regularly again 2 months after missing her last goal. I ran a bit of my long run last Saturday "with her."  I was actually way behind her because she runs her long runs too fast due to the pressure she puts on herself (oh and also 'cause I had a bad  day). I've never trained for a marathon, but I feel I've been watching someone do it wrong for the last year.

As for me, Ayola's wise words echo in my ears just about every day now. Some part of what I've been doing has bordered on "too much."  I cut back on the distance of several planned runs last week. Today I'm planning a leisurely 10-miler.

Hope everyone else is having a great weekend.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Busy but satisfying work week - client and boss seem happy. I'm a little beat by the new running schedule, which included an interval run on the treadmill and the regular weight training class,  today's  easy run turned into a run/ walk. I'm resting up for tomorrows 10 miler.

-5*C is unpleasant after an hour - your nose is frozen while your body is sweaty so you can't really stop. It can be a slogfest. Today was +0 with a pretty snowfall. I hope that holds for tomorrow. The great thing is that when the weather and streets improve, the running bumps right up, similar to the summer to fall transition.

Brian - I think it's great that you were able to shift tactics during  your race - shows how mentally tough you are!  I get  very anxious when racing. I have to learn how to manage the last few miles of racing. That's why I'm hanging out here with you guys.

Happy - glad to hear you're taking care.

Have a great Saturday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

At least you finished, Brian. Today's 50k was a bust. I somehow missed a turn and took an unintentional shortcut, ended up 3 miles short at the halfway  point so didn't see any point in running the second loop and dropped. Hopefully tomorrow's 26.2 goes better. Buh.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Hopefully tomorrow's 26.2 goes better.

Look forward to hearing how it went. Which marathon was it?

Ayola - those are some chilly temps!!  How was your long run today?

Yoga and yard cleanup for me today.

Thanks, all.  I've got to keep working on race management. I keep giving up big chunks at the end because I wouldn't give a little in the middle. I do think I've gotten better at managing my attitude post-race.  When I ran this race 3 years ago (and had a performance that was an almost perfect mirror of this year) I really let it bother me during the race, after the race and for a few weeks after.  Then I remembered I'm not doing this to race. I do this to train, the race is the reward. I decided it was silly to spoil my reward by pouting and getting depressed. Since then, I've enjoyed myself quite a bit more.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Brian - I have exactly the same problem.  For me it is one race called the Rotorua Marathon.  It still has me beat, I go out too hard, pay for it in the end, then get all morose and moody and am pretty well unbearable for a few weeks, until I remember that I run for fun....until DW gives me a hard time for missing the sub 4, yet again. :-)

Tried my hand at the shorter distance tonight, running a PR of 21:15 for 5km.  Felt quite comfortable.  Surface wasn't conducive for fast running, mixture of coarse sand and long grass, but at least it wasn't hard.  Might have to do this more often.

Got news today that the course for next weeks ultra has had to be changed.  Got a bit of a drought down this way and the pine forest (last 40 km) has been closed due to extreme fire risk.  Instead of a point to point race it is now a 60 km out and 42 back with more hills.  Good news is that it is the really scenic parts. You would love it Russ, no more loop of despair, just the hill of horrors with about 18 to go.

Have a good week all

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Happy - the 10 miler went very well. I did it as a 15:1 run walk,  and my runs were mostly under 12 m/m,, which is good for me. Weather was as good as could be for Canada in March (+2 degrees!) I felt great on sunday afternoon. Got really tired yesterday went to bed early and had a yucky interval run this morning (5x1000m at 10K pace on the treadmill). I guess I need more than 48 hours between harder workouts.

Perfesser - how did you marathon go?

Happy tuesday folks, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Puke, I saw that about the new course. Much more scenic but slower too, more of that beautiful singletrack along the Tarawera River and Lake! WIsh I were there.

ayola, the Marathon...not so good. It was the Post Oak Challenge in Tulsa. It was going great until I caught a toe and fell about mile 15 and cut my knee open on a sharp rock. It looked nasty. The next aid station patched it up enough for me to finish then I went to the ER and got it stitched up and a tetanus shot. However, while in the ER a woman came in with a badly broken wrist from a bike accident so I felt lucky. What am I going to do, sit on the couch and eat Cheetos?

Anyway, even after all that time getting bandaged at the aid station I got 2nd in Age Group so YAY! Isn't trailrunning fun?

Just another reason why my avatar is titled "Imminent Catastrophe"!Big grin

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

I guess I need more than 48 hours between harder workouts.

I'm thinking I need a day off after harder workouts! Boo on that! but I think it's possible.

Congratulations on your AG award, PerfesserR. Sorry about the gash on the knee though. Bet it hurts to bend it!