2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 20 - 26 July (Read 430 times)

Dog-Love

I am going to run SF vicariously through you two.  Good luck...I spent 26 yrs of my life in SF and 14 in Bodega Bay and one year I will come and run the marathon (and visit my mom).  Enjoy the morning fog.

I had a great trail run yesterday (5 miles) and the water level is high so had to bushwack around abit.  It is my dog's favorite route with lots of swimming spots.  I am taking today off

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
    Gig

I rode my bike into work Monday (standard) and Tuesday (change up because I had a dentist appt. The hygienist thanked me for doing such a great job keeping my teeth clean.)

But today I'm back to running in. I'm getting better at running easy, but it's still a challenge. I much prefer to push myself to go faster, especially toward the end, where I look at my garmy and tell myself that I'm at a 9:30 pace, but if I haul ass this last mile, I could get that down to 9:25. Hence, I never--never--cool down. Another habit I maybe ought to break.

Over the weekend, I bought a new pair of Beasts, plus a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. I've only got one mile in with the VFFs, and I'm not sure I like it, yet. But I think I will. I need to find some trails to run on. Most of the trails in Annapolis are paved. Hmm. Maybe I need to post a question in the Annapolis group. (BTW, if you're in or near Nap town, there's a group for you!)

So, that's my exciting news for the week. VFFs. The barefooting adventure begins.

Next week's excitement is karate camp. (And I ought to post this item to the Martial Arts group.) Last year was my first year there, and my first time going to summer camp. Ever. (My parents still receive regular guilt trips from me, and they deserve them. Is there an "Adults Who Have Issues with Their Parents" group here? (Oh, I guess that's every group.)

Obviously, the mose exciting news this week is the upcoming SF marathon. Run hard, Trey and Anne! Have a great time. Crabby, if you do ever decide to do it, it's on my list, too. Maybe we should plan something? I'm thinking 2015. (What? It conflicts with camp.) Also, Crabby, if you run the HM, have fun and good luck!

Okay, then. Back to work for me.

theyapper

On the road again...

Reading about the marathon Saturday just gets me more amped about my first one.  Too bad it's way off in November, but reading through your list made me wonder about what kind of storage I need for the actual race?  Do you take toilet paper with you on the run?  I get that GUs and water can be on a belt, but what about bigger stuff like the TP?  Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm a rookie. 

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

...---...

Reading about the marathon Saturday just gets me more amped about my first one.  Too bad it's way off in November, but reading through your list made me wonder about what kind of storage I need for the actual race?  Do you take toilet paper with you on the run?  I get that GUs and water can be on a belt, but what about bigger stuff like the TP?  Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'm a rookie. 

In the past, I've had those little individual servings of TP that the local running store sold. I don't have any now so am thinking of some TP in a ziplock sandwich bag. Of course the shorts I'm running in have 2 small hip pockets that will hold a few GU's , keys, etc. I can put GU's in one pocket, and the little baggie in the other. I have a running shirt with a zippered pocket in the small of the back which was convenient. But it'll be too warm for that particular cold weather top.

So, I'm going with 2 GU's in one hip pocket, and then several band-aids, a saftey pin for lancing blisters should I need, and the TP in a zip lock (air squeezed out and folded in half) in the other. The rest I'll have in my bag for after the race.

MTA: Thanks GIG!

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Gig

As far as TP, I'd be inclined to take my chances, but then again, I've got a good degree of, um, intestinal fortitude. But what about Kleenex travel packs. Seems like the perfect size, and pretty tightly packed already. Just a thought.

Imminent Catastrophe

Personally I just hold onto the TP until the start, usually by that time I don't need it any more. Just me.

Crabby-you've lived in some nice places! Bodega Bay is great, but the birds there are really a pain .

Gig--going from Beasts to VFF's is a HUGE leap. Take it real easy and slow. I started doing a lot of VFF runs on the treadmill.

I'm in for 2015 y'all. Oops, the world ends in 2012. Never mind. BTW

RaceReady shorts have lots of pockets. They cost a little more but they're worth it.

Have a good run, you two. I'll be wearing my SF Marathon running cap on my long run.

MTA: Nice hard tempo 6.3 today, attacked the hills and did some strides. Day off tomorrow.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

No run for me today (My dog wanted a rest day ...not) 

2015 could be a good year for the SF marathon in July...tough training up here in AK from November through April, but I'd give it a go.

Gig....I really want to run Baltimore because they have a crab medal...2011? Wanna run?

3 more days and you all will be 2 tired kids.  Looking forward to hearing about it.  Am planning a 5-7 miler tomorrow and just filled in the registration for the HM ($17)  Includes a salmon bake, T-shirt, and a little bit of crowds.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Anne & Trey, you guys are going to have a great time.  Can't wait to read your race reports.  Leave it all out on the course.

5+ yesterday at MP. Had a co-worker come out for the group run for the first time.  The farthest he'd run before was 2 miles, but he handled the 3.1 mile main run just fine.  I'm going to keep working to set the hook and get him to make this a habit.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

A low mileage two weeks...we went on the job interview and are deciding about the big move. I'm hitting the restart button with a short run this morning (3) and a medium tomorrow (7 or 8).

I started my swim lesson last week and its super fun, maybe by Christmas I'll be able to do a couple of laps or stop getting water up my nose.

Good luck Anne and Trey! I have a hard time not being a couple of miles from the Atlantic ocean... one day San Fran.

A

Recalculating...

Gig

Yesterday: Ran to work, four miles. After work, (before karate class), I ran 4+ in the Beasts, then one mile in my VFFs, and then a very easy 2+ in the Beasts again.

Russ, it is a major difference, not just in the shoe, but in how I run. The VFFs really make me tend toward forefoot running. That's partly the point, and it seems to work, at least yesterday. My first time in them, I wasn't so sure about the whole thing, but that was running on the street. Yesterday, I used them on a track, and it made all the difference. I was leaning forward, landing around the balls of my feet, and going much faster than I had intended. I think that's the main thing I'll have to factor into my runs. It made me pretty tired, pretty quickly. But I loved the feeling of running with them on the track. You're point is well received, Russ. I feel like I'll be okay transitioning, but I definitely need to be aware of what I'm doing.

Crabby, I am so in with the Baltimore Marathon in 2011, unless you want to do it sooner. (I haven't signed up for anything for this Fall, yet, but there is a race I've been thinking about that opens up for registration on August 1.)

Imminent Catastrophe

Russ, it is a major difference, not just in the shoe, but in how I run. The VFFs really make me tend toward forefoot running.

I wrote that because that's very much like what I have done. You're right, it's not just the shoes, it's a complete change in how you run. I was a heelstriker wearing stiff motion-control shoes like the Beast and Asics Evolution. Adapting to midfoot/forefoot striking took me about 10 months and a battle with soreness and chronic tendinitis--the achilles tendons and calves just weren't up to the stress after a lifetime of pounding my heels. It's not only the foot strike but also keeping my feet under me, not overstriding, and a faster cadence. I'm finally getting comfortable with it but it was harder than I expected. It's kind of like starting to run from scratch.

The second part of the equation is changing to lighter, more flexible shoes and gradually increasing my VFF miles. I'm pretty careful about VFF running because, again, after a lifetime of cushioning and coddling my feet they are weak. So I'm pretty comfortable with 3 miles on the TM and 1 mile outdoors on asphalt (the occasional sharp rock or pebble still hurts). I may never actually go barefoot but the VFF's are definitely going to get more use. And since they don't have a cushioning layer to wear out like regular running shoes, they will last a very long time.

The last straw was when I did a short, easy run on the TM in the Beasts and ended up with plantar fasciitis. They are now my work shoes.

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Dog-Love

Rode my bike 2 miles to meet with 58 girls scouts out at this cabin on the beach to talk intertidal and was planning to go back to work hen my best running buddy called for a 7 miler.  A bit fast for me but a nice run all the same.  I really am getting behind at work.

Those VFF sound interesting and I can't really imagine trail running in those.

Gig...Aug 1 registration...I know what you're talking and I have the Runner's World article on the back of my office door that shows the start of that darn fun race...and someday I will run it...just a long way to go during the school year.  Maybe that is the one to do in 2010...or Baltimore.  You decide!

Anyone getting nervous about running 26.2 in less than 48 hours?

theyapper

On the road again...

I'm not. I'm sure you'll all do fine. Now, if I was running, I'd be nervous.  

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

...---...

Yes, of course. Even if I run 100 of these things, I think I'll always get butterflies. But that's part of the excitement. I guess. 

Layover in Houston. DW and I have our bellies full of huevos rancheros. YUM! 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

21.5 in Central Park on the bridle trails (wearing SFM shirt in solidarity). I still felt pretty good and strong and had a good pace to the end. The Pfitz plan and high (for me) mileage seems to be paying off.Love those bridle trails, nice, soft and shady.

Hey, I passed the 1500-mile bunny! Whoo-hoo! (don't worry, I like this neighborhood and will stick around).