2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 25Jan - 31 Jan (Read 413 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

My turn to start it off.

The fivefingers got a workout today. 30 minutes on the elliptical hill profile, it's a pretty good workout. Then 2.7 combined TM and a short dog run outside. 

The big event today was that I finally--finally after 3 years, got into the NYC Marathon. Yay!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Perfesser: congrats! Getting into the NYC marathon, woohoo! Any other marathons planned before that one?

Today was a 5.5K easy run on the TM. Roads are ice only. Hope it's all gone by Sunday.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

The big event today was that I finally--finally after 3 years, got into the NYC Marathon. Yay!

About damned time! Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Today was a 5.5K easy run on the TM. Roads are ice only. Hope it's all gone by Sunday.

Today was 5 miles in windy, rain/freezing rain.  I made the mistake AGAIN of wearing my glasses, because I didn't know it was precipitating.  Way too much walking.  I have to get mentally tougher!

We had a TON of snow and ice.  Then it started raining Sunday and all during the day yesterday.  Hard, driving rain with winds above 50 mph.  Our driveway and street are ICE-FREE today!!  Whoo hoo!  I'm so happy.

We also ordered a new treadmill that is being delivered later this afternoon.  Life is good.  It will go in our chilly basement, and we can watch TV or DVDs.  I'm planning on doing short TM runs on days I wouldn't normally run at all, to see how it goes.

HappyFeat

Congratulations on getting into the NYC marathon, PerfesserRuss!! Certainly a good start to the week.

I almost feel guilty for the mild weather here. It doesn't even seem like winter.

I followed my plan this week and took the day off after the long run.

So last nights run was much more comfortable than the same time last week.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Whatever happened to DJ Marcus? great music for hanging out at the computer waiting for DH and dinner (Thai Beef Salad), anyway...

Short run this morning 2.5 treadmill - I'm doing a cut back week at the end of every month, but I'm on track for around 90 miles in January, which I haven't done in awhile.

Perfesser - I have to admit the NYC marathon is a dream of mine. I grew up in Harlem on mile 23, right where you cross back into Manhattan from the Bronx. We handed out orange slices to the runners as kids. We used to think - these people are CRAZY!

I might join the Runner's Room (local store) group on Sundays (8:30am UGH) for a run in an attempt to meet people in my new town. they have several groups training for the local HM in May. I'd rather do my long run on my own, but it would be good to meet  folks who are "training" " as well.

Happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

Congrats Russ!

I managed 2 miles of elliptical followed by 2.5 miles of treadmill.  I can still feel the problem areas but it is not painful enough to make me think I am hurting my recovery.  It actually feels better when I run a little faster.  I think that's because my stride smoothes out a little and there's less bouncing. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks everyone. I've read "A Race Like No Other" and downloaded Sinatra's "New York, New York" (traditionally played at the race start) and was in Central Park mile 25 last year when Meb ran past in the lead. So I'm really psyched.

MTA: I was also there two years ago to watch the Men's Olympic Trials, the day before the NYC Marathon, saw Ryan Hall win that one, fists pumping, that was cool. Then saw about Ryan Shay's death on the marquee in Times Square. So, yeah, I've been looking forward to this one.

Well, this forum has suddenly gotten very active since Jan 23. Wonder why? 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

New blood that's why!!!  And zoomer blood at that.

Great job at the NYC marathon lottery and perhaps this year you can keep up with Meb.

I had the hardest run I've had for awhile.  We opted for this trail run out to the glacier but it was moggully (Word?) and hard ice and me and my running bud had to share a set of cleats.  Nice views though just an ankle buster if you weren't paying attention

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Just a dude.

Gratz on the NYC Marathon.

I just had a mostly easy jog with my nephew.  He's in 6th grade, and did cross country last fall... he's doing track this spring, so I am trying to run with him some so he can get some kind of base built up.  We ran 2.75 miles total, from his house to the high school, one lap around the track, and back.  He thought doing the track was pretty cool...

Headed out of town on Saturday for my daughters jazz band concert, so it will be interesting how my mileage ends up for the week... Something will work out I am sure...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Damn it's cold here! Cold enough I did my run on the treadmill I hate. Wanted 5 but gave up after 3. I'd rather have my nose hairs plucked than run on my crappy treadmill. Cold I can handle cold + wind, not so much! Will for sure hit the road for 5 tomorrow. I gotta keep in front of that wraskily wrabbit!!!
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

You can do it, Heather!  We're running right together, it looks like.  I will be able to do my 5 or so tomorrow outside, but it's supposed to be very cold and windy on Friday.  I'll be on the TM myself that day, I guess.   Ick.  Saturday looks better, at least.

Today was PERFECT:  35 degrees, not much wind, blue skies, and very little ice on the streets!  Rare for January in Maine.

Dutchie42

So not in the mood for a run on the TM today. Was looking forward to a nice run outside, but things happened and I had to run on the TM.

4 kilometers @ different speeds with walk breaks, trying to find my running mojo
                            5 kilometers @ 10K, found it, yeah!
                            150 meter walkbreak which I totally deserved
                            1.65 kilometers @ 9.5K

200 meters @ 9K

11 kilometers

Off to Amsterdam to the museum for the Hermitage exhibition. See you guys later.

Dutchie
                            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Short treadmill run this morning 2.5 miles

Yesterday I did mile repeats, working my way  up to my HM pace (10:15 according to Mr. McMillan) ending up with 5 miles - and it felt pretty easy, even after a scale scare - gotta start counting the calories again.

Tuesday - short treadmill run - this is my rest week...

I'm looking for 8 on Saturday - although snow is predicted for tonight - my alternative is 6 treadmill and 24 minutes elliptical and some good podcasts.

Good luck with your weeks, A

Recalculating...

For my mid-week longish run I completely ignored the watch. No checking the pace and worrying that, at that moment, I was 13 seconds too fast. No checking the heart rate.  I was running a route I was familiar with so I just went out and ran.  Very freeing in a way.  Don't get me wrong, I still wore the watch: have to have all the data to over-analyze at the end.  I just didn't look at it.  Odd thing: even without the watch, I nailed my pace and heart rate.  A bit deceiving though as I think I hit every red light so I was actually running fast with many little rest breaks.

Finally pulled the trigger and registered for the marathon in New Orleans (I forget what the official name is). Had been putting it off because of money and family concerns, but decided it would all work out.  I had been talked into it because I work with a number of Katrina-ites who were going to go back and run it.  Now, all of them have dropped out so its just me and the guy I go to races with, neither of whom have ever been to NOLA (as the kids like to say).

As an aside, this will be my last "rock-n-roll" race other than the Country Music.  I don't see how you can organize a race for 20,000 people with no pace groups, with the start 4 miles from the finish, with parking 2 miles from the start and still charge over $100. 

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013