2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 21 - 27 September (Read 418 times)

Dutchie42

Guess I should let you guys meet Spike too:

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

How I turned a 21 miler into 19.7 and had a great time doing it:

I'm slow.  Some days I struggle with this, but I'm learning to live with it.  One of the side effects of being slow is that on group runs I wind up being a group of one at the end of the field.  Since I'm going to be by myself I always make sure to know the route. I study the maps.  I carry turn-by-turn directions in a zip-loc bag (learned the hard way that inkjet printers and sweat do not mix). Despite all of this, today I missed a turn in unfamiliar country and got lost.  Lost in horse farm country where the intersections are few and far between so it was several miles before I realized my mistake.  Thankfully, the road I was on ended at one of the few roads in the area I was familiar with so I was able to work my way back to the planned route.  As a consequence I

• Missed water stops at 8 and 12 so went almost 12 miles without water except for my trusty 20 oz. Dasani.  Thankfully it was a blessedly cool morning so this turned out not to be a problem.
      • Had to travel some heavily trafficked roads (a lot of early-morning church services where I was) with little to no shoulder.  Spent a lot of time running in yards.
      • Cut about 1.3 miles out of the run.  I had been worried about running so far 2 weeks before a marathon so this was probably a good things, but I would have caught the 1500 mile bunny (briefly) if I'd run the full distance.
      • Avoided a very serious hill.  No complaints.

I had a great time (in both senses of the word).  It was a beautiful cool morning.  We started before dawn in the fog and got to watch the sun come up.  I was feeling great.  In fact I think this is why I missed the turn: I was just in the zone and rolling along.  My pace was good and was able to pick it up the last 5 miles.  I finished strong with a lot left in the tank.  No blisters, no injuries, just an odd chafe from an unfamiliar shirt.  A fantastic run on a fantastic morning.  Bring on Chicago.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dog-Love

Dutchie...your doggie is a cutie!

I had a wonderful week even though I didn't break 52 minutes for my 10K.  I went to go run the race and the directer wasn't even there at ten minutes before 9:00 (Start of race).  It was, as predicted 38 degrees, howling wind, and driving rain... my favorite race conditions.  Then to make it worse my favorite running bud JJ shows up and wants to run with me...adding stress because she loves to chat and run.  Then my graduate student Molly shows up and I am feeling a bit of pressure now.  SO we finally take off on a down hill but then a steady 1 mile uphill followed by 4 miles of everything you want plus some irritating hills thrown in.  JJ and Molly were talking about wedding pictures and I told them to PLEASE run ahead and that I was trying to run as fast as I could and not tlak.  So they charged ahead and I kept up a bit too fast a pace.  I passed Molly at around mile 4.5 on a hill and then I almost caught JJ by the end.  the headwind for 2 miles took it out of me but I finished in 53:22.

8:06

8:15

7:56

9:25

9:03

8:34

7:43

Then I hiked up to a cabin at the end of the day to join 3 girlfriends and 2 dogs for an evening and morning of gorgeous Alaska scenery.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)