2000Km-1243 mile club

September (Read 11 times)

HappyFeat

That's the way to jump back into it, Puke!  Can't imagine how that one guy could run in the baggy onesie!

I'm heading out for my last LR before the race in two weeks. It's rainy and the temps are about 25 degrees colder than what I'm used to running in. The weather has certainly changed here. It will be a good test to see just how much I warm up over a long distance. I'll run 22 miles today EZ pace and figure it will take me 4 hours. The first 10 will be on my "rolling hills route" and the rest pretty flat except for a short steep uphill about 1 mile from the end.

What is everyone else up to this weekend?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

35.5 km? have fun Happy. Think of it more as a practice  run rather than a training run. Enjoy

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

35.5 km? have fun Happy. Think of it more as a practice  run rather than a training run. Enjoy

What do you mean by a "practice run" exactly? I suspect I didn't do it if that is more fun than a "training run."

Should I have run slower? It was hard and I don't think it shoulda been.

No news here. The husband and I have pretty bad chest cold at the moment, not much running this week at all. Housebound, I  took the opportunity to make chicken stock and tomato sauce for the autumn. HM in two weeks is looking iffy  unless the schmaltz works immediately.

Happy-  now that you finished that last hard run, taper away!

Going to bed super early, A

Recalculating...

What do you mean by a "practice run" exactly? I suspect I didn't do it if that is more fun than a "training run."

Should I have run slower? It was hard and I don't think it shoulda been.

It is more of an attitude thing rather than an actual run type.  Use it to practice in the clothes you plan to wear, the nutrition you want to use, water bottles (or camelbak) you are going to use.  Should be slower than you race pace, but at that distance it is always going to be hard no matter how slow you go. The enjoyment part comes in the knowledge that you have completed it. Main thing now is that you have the final long run in the bag so as 'A' says, taper well.  They tell me that the tapering part is the worst bit as you end up all fidgety.

See it was a new marathon world record in Berlin overnight 2:03 and a bit.  That is 2:55 per km pace.  I prefer to get more time on the course for my entry fee thankyou :-)

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

See it was a new marathon world record in Berlin overnight 2:03 and a bit.  That is 2:55 per km pace.  I prefer to get more time on the course for my entry fee thankyou :-)

IK,R?? But sheesh, that's a blazing fast time!

Okay, so that's what I did yesterday:  the practice run thing.  I've actually been doing that on all these extra long runs. This time I got to try out the rainy day outfit option: rain hat, short sleeve shirt,  and wrist warmers. I ran a minute slower than goal pace throughout.  I was just disappointed that it did not feel easier.

I still harbor doubts about running the full marathon distance since my training has only gone up to 22 miles twice. I don't question my mental toughness to go the distance on race day. I question my body's ability. I think my real stumbling block is I'm just not used to or conditioned enough yet for running the longer distances. Back when I was first working up to and training for the HM distance, any run over 10 miles pretty much felt hard. Now those distances are easy! In fact last Saturday, I ran 14 hilly miles at goal pace! I consider that amazing and a sign that my body has totally gotten used to that distance.

Most standard marathon training programs only have you run 20 miles as the longest….and then everyone talks about how “the race begins at mile 20” and “the last six are the hardest.” So while I am out of sync with the rest of the world on this, I firmly believe that the way for me to make those last marathon miles easier is going to be either (a) train up to the full distance or (b) run up to 22 on a regular basis so my legs are more used to it.  My current training feels a bit like a cram session, with only two 18's, one 20, and two 22's. I don't know when I will run a second marathon, but from now on I plan to include an extra long run every month so my body will be more used to the distance when I begin an official marathon training program like I've just completed. I could go crazy from all the times I've heard "it's not necessary."  I'm learning as I go and so far this is what I've learned...it won't hurt me and chances are that it will help a lot.

(MTA: should I add a smiley face to take the sting out of my rant? Sorry if the tone is off-putting.)

Happy - I think you hit the nail on the head regarding our bodies becoming used to the long run. I'm considering the same over winter strategy (but my long runs are half the distance of yours. Ha) There must be a threshold - perhaps not distance but time on feet (3-4 hours) that conditions the body for the marathon. Some people do back to back saturday/ sunday runs in the 12-15 mile range. How does one build up while providing oneself with training downtime? Something to think about.

Anyways, we admire your consistency! Rest up, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

There must be a threshold - perhaps not distance but time on feet (3-4 hours) that conditions the body for the marathon.

Yes, I was reading a Running Times article last night by McMillan that talked  about slower runners needing to do 3 to 4.5 hour LR to "fatigue-proof"   their legs for the marathon.  This wouldn't be every week of course.  I plan to do a rotation ranging from 2 hours to 4.5 hours.

For the HM distance like you 're training for, Ayola, once I got my LR to 10 miles I didn't run less than that for the weekly LR. I rotated between 10 to 14 miles.  I also maintained my mid-week 8-miler. The mid-week medium-LR is a significant building block for me for the Saturday LR in terms of confidence building and fitness.

Happy - you are wise. I am thinking about winter training and how to distribute running with other elements.

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Well, I just registered for the Hardrock lottery. If you're not familiar, Hardrock 100 is the generally accepted hardest 100-miler there is, and by finishing Tahoe I became eligible to enter the Hardrock lottery. If I get selected (the odds are less than 1 in 10) it will be incredibly lucky and at the same time, incredibly unlucky, because I am not, nor will I ever be, ready for Hardrock. I would be WAY out of my league.

It wasn't that long ago that I entered my first 40-miler, then 50-miler, and I remember how intimidated I was before all of those races. Then my first 100k, then 100-miler. Each event was a challenge and I never knew if I could do it, but in the end, I did them. Just three years ago I never imagined running a 100, and now here I am signing up for the hardest one.                                                                                                                      

What I am saying here is that just a few years ago I was intimidated by the thought of running even 50k, and I certainly never imagined that I would be running a 100-miler, never mind Hardrock. Hardrock is the Everest of 100's. Even to be eligible to enter the lottery is quite an accomplishment, and now here I am. So we'll see what happens. If I can go from a guy who's scared of a 50k, to trying the toughest 100-miler in just a few years, then you can do whatever it is that you envision!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Well alrighty then!  'nuf said!  You know we're your awestruck fans, don't you, PerfesserR?

A hearty congratulations for being eligible to enter the Hardrock lottery --- that is quite an accomplishment!

Wishing you the best of luck in that regard. When will you find out if you get to run it?

Now that you describe it as the "Everest" of 100's, well you simply have to do it, don't you?

For you Happy

8 Stages of Marathon Running

Russ, don't know if we should wish you good luck or not with that lottery

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

For you Happy

8 Stages of Marathon Running

Russ, don't know if we should wish you good luck or not with that lottery

Yeah, I'm not sure I'll celebrate or despair if I get in.

MTA: They call it that because it has more climbing than going from sea level to the top of Everest (34,000 ft). Yikes.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Thanks for the video Puke! That was a funny dose of RealityBig grin