2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check-In for 9/29 - 10/05 (Read 370 times)

Dutchie42

Good Morning, Well it is Monday morning already overhere. Guess you lot are asleep or about to go to sleep Smile Did a 20min LB w/o and a 30min UB w/o (incl. abs). Was thinking of going out for a recovery run, but my legs feel thorougly worked so I'm now sitting here writing this with a post w/o shake and a coffee. I suppose doing a LB w/o counts as a recovery right? Get the blood flow going? ETA: offical time for yesterday's 10K is 1:04:50, placing #50 out of 76 female runners. Still a back of the packer!

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Dutchie - you ran a great race. Jeff - it finally happened to me on Sunday. 7 miles into a run, and unfortunately too far from home, my bowels fired a "warning shot" in mid stride. Luckily, I recalled the very useful info from you on OBMPP. What I wasn't prepared for was the acceleration from even a very slow jog. I suspect that OBMPP is most effective when you heed the early warnings - I admit to ignoring some signals. Okay, it was an SOS but still, within 0.2 miles, the red siren went off. I was able to make it to an inconspicuos area (off a main 4 lane road). To prevent the incident from going supernova, I was reduced to walking for fear that the main valve would be breached. Thankfully, a Masonic Lodge had let their landscaping grow out of control a little such that cover and concealment of shrubs and small trees provided for an adequate curtain. Regretably, I lost a great running shirt yesterday. RIP (rest in pooh) faithful garmet. Dead

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Wow, Trey, nice story and use of metaphor. I'm still not running but did a short stint on the dreadmill today without pain. A few more days and I'll ease back into it.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Dutchie - you ran a great race. Jeff - it finally happened to me on Sunday. 7 miles into a run, and unfortunately too far from home, my bowels fired a "warning shot" in mid stride. Luckily, I recalled the very useful info from you on OBMPP. What I wasn't prepared for was the acceleration from even a very slow jog. I suspect that OBMPP is most effective when you heed the early warnings - I admit to ignoring some signals. Okay, it was an SOS but still, within 0.2 miles, the red siren went off. I was able to make it to an inconspicuos area (off a main 4 lane road). To prevent the incident from going supernova, I was reduced to walking for fear that the main valve would be breached. Thankfully, a Masonic Lodge had let their landscaping grow out of control a little such that cover and concealment of shrubs and small trees provided for an adequate curtain. Regretably, I lost a great running shirt yesterday. RIP (rest in pooh) faithful garmet. Dead
          LOL you do have a way with words Trey Clowning around

Dutchie

A Saucy Wench

lol Trey 4.25 this morning. I could get used to taper. screw mileage. Big grin

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

Dog-Love

Had a great 9 mile run today with my dog and JJ. Lots of rain but it let up for the run. I'm tapering too and am looking forward to completing the marathon in a couple of weeks. Will miss eating like a pig.
              Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
              Dutchie42

6.5K in the rain this morning. My legs were not willing and it turned into a recovery run/walk, sigh.

Dutchie

...---...

Having some issues with my IT Band. Taking an extra rest day before going back out again. Icing morning and evening, stretching 4 different way several times a day, doing the hip abductor and adductor exercises, taking lots of vitaimin C, mixing in compression here and there, taking Ibuprofen 3 x's per day at 800 mg per dose. I think it wise that I reduce mileage as well as intensity. I've read varying opinions as to how much lower the mileage should be (i.e. 40% less than weekly total). I certain'y don't want to aggravate the situation any more so I'll go by feel but still reduce the mileage a little. Flat surface running (or as flat as I can get). Any further advice?

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Trey: re IT band, whenI had mild issues years ago, what helped me was a yoga pose: cow's face. Got rid of it real quick. Sit on the floor with legs crossed in front of you. Move your left leg underneath the right and just tuck your left foot next to your right buttock (not underneath). Fold your right leg over the left knee and tuck your foot next to your left buttock. Right knee should be on top of your left. If you're not very flexible, this should give you enough of a stretch. Bending forward from the hip increases the stretch. Repeat with left knee on top of right knee. If I skip this stretch for only a few weeks, my IT issues emerge again. Hope this makes any sense. I don't know what it about this stretch that helps me, but it works. Skip the arm position of the cow's face pose if you like.

Dutchie

...---...

Thanks Dutchie I'll start this the moment I get home. At this point, I'd drink hemlock if you told me it would help my IT Band issue.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

Nice easy 6 miles. After 2 days off, stretching and ice and ibuprofen and yoga and vitamin c and and knee strap, I felt no pain. I'll try another easy run tomorrow but think I'l take another day or two off before tackling a longer run. I've decided that if I continue to have no pain with my IT band, and take extra time for rest, I may try my 20 miler this weekend. I've also decided that if I feel any pain for longer than 8-10 or so minutes, I'll stop the long run and will just have to "taper" early. One of my running buddies (a cautious marathoner) feels I should be relatively okay for my marathon regarding endurance if I have to bail on my 20 miler (given my other miles and training and having done an 18 miler). I feel like Im being held together with duck tape and bailing wire as I go into this race. Clowning around MTA: Dutchie - the cow face is tough. Certainly a better stretch than anything else I've tried. Thanks again, this may be my saving grace.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

Trey: hope you can do you 20-miler and be OK. Be careful! There's a standing stretch if the ITB gets bad during your run: stand on your left leg. Put your right foot/ankle of the other leg just above the left knee. Now slowly "sit back" like you go sit in a chair and bend your left knee. Try to keep your knee above your ankle. This particular stretch has helped me through some runs way back when ITB was haunting me. Repeat with other leg. If your balance is bad, make sure there's a tree or street light or something around. Maybe you already did/know this one? Me: yesterday was a rest day cause my adductors were really really sore from the plie squats with a heavier weight then usual on Monday. I did run with the sore muscles on Tue, but that seemed to have mede the soreness worse. Or is it because it's the 2nd day? Won't be running this morning cause I have a test for this car leasing course I do and I'm sort of "cramming" Wink Yes, I'm one of those students that'll study at the last minute. Only my old brain and bod don't cope anymore Tongue I've got this afternoon off, so I'll get my run in then, she says with her usual optimism Wink Have another and last exam on the 21st of Oct. But the 13th I start a short financial course specifically aimed at the car leasing business (exam on the 27th). Plus I signed up for a general basic financial course at the university with an exam just before Xmas. Ohhhhh Xmas..... it's coming Wink Love Xmas. I even have Xmas songs with a running beat Smile I'm babbling, I'll stop now and study.

Dutchie

...---...

Quiet in here this week. I guess several regulars are either injured or tapering. Following some sage advice, I didn't run back-to-back this week in the hopes that I get the healing process started. I will give the old IT Band another test drive today, however. Still nervous about the weekend's big run. But I'm at the point where I don't want to push it and end up not being to run at all for 3 months. After all, marathons and races are great but I run for the benefits of my overall health, mental state, and, well, because I really like it. Hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll report back how Sunday's run goes. Now, I'm off to sit like a cow's face.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

I finally got back on the horse. 2 miles on the dreadmill after 20 minutes elliptical. The leg felt fine, but I was really slow, taking it easy. Trey's right, I think there's a bug going around in the 2000km group.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I run for Fried Chicken!

Hasn't been a great week in general. Was planning on running on Tuesday but it took me 55mins to go 5.5miles, it's normally a 15-20min commute. I could have easily ran home faster. A traffic light was out and traffic was jammed back for miles. Ran 7.5 on Wednesday and first time I've ran w/ a HRM in a while and my HR was way up there, I think I was dehydrated. Was planning on doing another 6 last night but I was feeling woozy after about 3 miles so I cut my run short, probably one of my worst runs ever. I've never felt woozy like that on a run before. It's been unusually hot the past week in LA. It's been in the high 90's most of the week and it'll be in the 80's even at 9pm. I think that might have contributed to my bad runs. It's finally cooled down today so hopefully I'll get some good runs in this weekend. I've also been contemplating getting a TM. I think I would run more if I had a TM at home and my wife would appreciate having me around the house more. How much do I need to spend to get a decent treadmill? Initial research I've read seems to indicate around $1200-1500 for a decent machine.