2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in 22 - 28 Feb (Read 383 times)

So Dutchie: did you race or not?  If so how'd it go?

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

yup, nothing exciting to report here (slow 3 miles, still pooped from saturday's 10)... Dutchie?

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

I'm sticking with my planned day off after the Saturday Long Run because I have a much better running week following if I do. After last Saturday's 10-miler,  last night's 4 miles was fine for me. In fact, I felt progressively better from beginning to end. You could test that out, Ayola, and see if you recover faster from your own Long Run.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dog-Love

Had a very fast 7-miler (for me) only 2 short walk breaks  Ifelt exhausted afterwards (fell asleep at my desk) but slept like a baby.  Today's short and easy hopefully will feel just that.

Dutchie?.

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
          Dutchie42

Hi guys, little late to the party And thanks for asking about my race.

Well, I packed my bag on Sat. Double checked Sunday morning. Took the dogs out for their early morning walk and it snowed, not much but it did snow! And it was cold. Really cold. I came home, looked at my bag and I was like, no no no, I don't want to do this. No no no. And I didn't go ..... sorry guys. I was very disappointed with myself but I just really didn't feel like driving for 90 minutes, go through the hassle of getting on a bus to get to the starting line and run in the cold and snow. I actually didn't run at all that day, sigh.

But I did do an easy 8.8K yesterday morning, in the drizzling rain and milder temps, 3C no less. Today was a 7.5K hill workout on the TM. They say tomorrow it will be 7C. Of course not early morning when I'm running.

BTW, I cooked dinner last night and it was disgusting. At least I thought so. My boys liked it. I'm afraid my cooking has ruined their taste buds

MTA: how do I do the strike through thingy to strike out the race I didn't run?

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Well, I packed my bag on Sat. Double checked Sunday morning. Took the dogs out for their early morning walk and it snowed, not much but it did snow! And it was cold. Really cold. I came home, looked at my bag and I was like, no no no, I don't want to do this. No no no. And I didn't go ..... sorry guys. I was very disappointed with myself but I just really didn't feel like driving for 90 minutes, go through the hassle of getting on a bus to get to the starting line and run in the cold and snow. I actually didn't run at all that day, sigh.

No need to apologize for not racing.  I don't blame you for not going through the hassle if you didn't feel like you were going to be at your best.  Now, not running at all that day, well...that's a little less acceptable

The way I got the strikethrough to work in my signature was to, in Options/My Forum Preferences, check the Signature contains HTML checkbox, then put <strike> before and </strike> after the text I wanted stricken.  Unfortunately, you'll need to put in <br/> wherever you'd like a line break or everything gets merged into one line. The strikethrough made my text black, rather than gray, which I'd love to fix.

Dutchie - no worries! . Happy - I've been experimenting with the run the day before/ after the long run. I seem to better with a rest the day before and then a short run the next day. Of course last week I ran the day before AND on the day after I ran 4.5 to compulsively get to 30 - plus slot of walking around on Saturday night and unexpected walk to the grocery on Sunday (dead car battery). Actually, I felt great until dinner and then the air got sucked out of me until maybe tomorrow... Another RAer says you know you're improving when you recover well... Still a ways to go for me. Rest week according to the schedule and then back to 30

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

This morning was a 5.5 kilometer interval on the TM:

10 min warm up @ 9.0K

90 sec @ 9.0K
                  30 sec @ 10K
                  repeat 10x
                  finish @ 9.0K till 5.5 kilometers

Very tight calfs in the beginning. Needed to stretch them after about 5 min. But they loosened up and it was a really fun run.

Added on a 30min LB w/o.

Dutchie

How hard could it be? All I had to do was go out and jog 4 miles at 11:00-11:15 (or slower would be OK).  Instead I go sub-10:00.  What a maroon.

Dutchie42

DrPhibes: going slow can be very difficult to do

Dutchie

Just a dude.

In the spirit of not doing what is expected...

I had to go to another town to watch my kids do a concert... I thought I'd do a run afterwards, and found a 6 miler that was almost perfectly flat.  It think it had like 80 feet of elevation change total.  Simple course.  Go out a road, turn right, go down a road to a cemetery, hit a dirt road that loops back around, and come back to the start.

Well, I hit the wrong dirt road, and ended up on an access road for an irrigation canal.  

It was muddy...

It was very muddy...  with the kind of mud that sticks to yer shoes and just keeps getting thicker and thicker...

I was too stubborn/stupid to turn around... Instead, I took this access road probably over a mile.  In many places, it was hardly wider than a single track trail.  

So, even tho the course was flat, I found a way to make it feel like hills...  

Oh well...

Toying with the idea of doing a 5k time trial Friday.  Just to get an idea of where I am at.  

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

All right, I'm going to go on record (since you are the closest I have to an accountability group) and say I'm going to run a 4:22 on Sunday.  Any pace equal to or under 9:59.999999 will be acceptable.  Can I do it?  Who knows. I've been  flip-flopping about every thirty seconds. My last 20 miler three weeks ago was at 10:30 on flat ground and I was struggling for the last 7 when I pushed it up to 10:00.  But that was at the end of a 50 mile week.  A half-marathon at 9:20 (if you take off the sprint to the finish) on a hilly course makes 10:00 look reasonable.  But it took a lot more out of me then I expected.  The big question: I've never had to push myself to maintain a pace in the latter stages since I've always run so conservatively so how will I respond mentally?

KellyDodge: way to persevere even in the face of common sense.  You are a true 1243.

HappyFeat

Well you know we'll be rooting for you, Brian! Good luck!!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Good luck Brian, it looks like the weather will be very nice for you. I'll be interested to know how the new course works. And whether they still have Abita and red beans & rice for post-race food.

MTA: I had a nice easy run going on a golf course, until it was interrupted by stupid golfers. What were they doing there? They should get a life. 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Well I could crack an inapproprate Tiger Woods joke but I'll just play on here.....I had my first run over 7 miles today and I have to admit it was fairly fast except for a couple of walking breaks (I begged to stop butmy young running buds just laughed).

Anyway I am feeling stronger and get to have a massage on Sunday

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)