2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 28 Sept. - 4 Oct. (Read 355 times)

Forgot to mention that my Boston plans are coming together.  I sent off my application a couple of weeks ago and I have been researching hotels.  The Boston site definitely has some deals on hotel stays, but I don't think I am going to use them.  I thought sure the prices were not very discounted until I tried to book a room without using the Boston site.  The cheapest hotel near the finish would be about $500/night regular and about $300/night if you book through the Boston site.

I think I have decided to get a hotel near the start instead.  I can get a hotel about 5 miles from the start for about $150/night.  Also, I don't have to get up at pre-dawn to catch the shuttle to the start to wait around for the 10 AM start.  DW can just drop me off at the start and then spectate a couple of times on the course on her way near the city.  Then she could hop on the subway when she gets close enough and meet me at the finish.  Of course it will be a bit of a pain getting out of the city after the finish but DW will be around to bring me some clothes and we can work our way back to the hotel.

Anybody have any inputs on my plan before I start booking rooms?

Exactly what I'm doing as I write!

How's it going?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

Imminent Catastrophe

Better! Just a little twinge now, I'm doing 6 tomorrow to test it out.

heffa--that sounds like a plan. I've heard that the subway is a zoo after the race, especially on the green line. It may take you and DW quite a while to get where you're going. I know one guy who parked at a nearby station NOT along the race route.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Trey: sorry to hear about DFIL. What are his chances? Is your wife coping? Job sounds great!

Perfesser: sounds like your chances of running on the 18th are looking good.

Heffa: my first thought was that the hotels were expensive, but converted to euros, it's not that bad. Do you have access to the room till after the race (for a shower)?

Bought new running shoes. To avoid the same disaster as with the Asics 2140 I went to the local running shop and got fitted wit Mizuno Inspire 5. Cost me 130 euros. I love them, so I then ordered an extra pair online, only 80 dollars (54 euros). Arghhhh, why are shoes so darn expensive here. As they were the last pair in my size/width, I hope Runningwarehouse stocks up on them again, cause I still need treadmill shoes

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie - I've been running in Mizuno Wave Inspires (first 4's now 5's) for 18 months and love them.  Not a single injury (knock on wood) and at most one or two blisters.  My biggest knock on them is they wear out pretty quickly.  As I get close to 500 km I'll start to feel some soreness in my knees and know its time for a new pair.  But I'm a big guy (over 90 kg), so your mileage may vary.

Someone remind me why doesn't America switch to the metric system?  After all, it makes your mileage and your weight look better.  Maybe I'll switch my RA config to metric so I can get my pace in min/km.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Imminent Catastrophe

Easy 6.2 today, a beautiful, cool fall day. Best of all the ankle felt fine. It felt really great to run pain-free!

OTOH, I found out that the Chickamauga Marathon sold out. D'oh! I wish they'd (Chattanooga Track Club) send out an email when it's getting close to full. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Dutchie42

But I'm a big guy (over 90 kg), so your mileage may vary.

Whenever someone mentions their weight, I wanna see them. You should post a pic

Dutchie

...---...

Trey: sorry to hear about DFIL. What are his chances? Is your wife coping? 

Thanks. Chances are not good at all. DW is holding it together better these days. Better than I would be if this were my father. 

Got everything laid out, timing chip laced up, bib pinned, etc, etc, etc. Hope the wind holds off. Looks like it'll be a little stormy. Oh well. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie - The access to a shower soon after the race is definitely the biggest plus for getting a hotel near the finish.  The late start/finish of the race pretty much guarantees that you would need to spend another night to have use of the hotel room post race.  I think I am going to go with hotel at the start and a nice wash cloth in a ziplock bag for a shower.  I don't think most people would notice that I smell any different Smile
                      Whenever someone mentions their weight, I wanna see them. You should post a pic

Alright, here's an action shot from the spring.

I like this one because its one of the few race pictures where I actually have a foot off the ground.  For the longest time I thought the reason I was so slow was because I kept both feet on the ground at all times.  Someday, maybe I'll get both feet off the ground at once.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Gig

I've barely been around lately. Work has been tough, and I'm entrenched in the freelance editing job that won't die.

I've been running a lot less lately. I did manage six miles this morning before my karate class. Later in the day it occurred to me that I have a race tomorrow. A metric marathon, which equates to about 16.3 miles. Oh well. I guess it'll be fun. Last year I did it at around an 8:30 pace. This year, maybe--MAYBE--9:00.

Dutchie42

Trey: RUN LIKE THE WIND! GO GO GO!

Gig: what's a metric marathon? Is that in kilometers? A marathon here is 42.2 kilometers, which is approx. 26.21 miles (says my converter)? What's this freelance job that's been holding you up?

I'm finally feeling better and will go out for a run in an hour or so. On my new shoes

Dutchie

Dutchie42

Did a doggie fun run: for the first time in many years I ran short loops again. For one, it's close to home and I haven't fully recovered from that silly flu-ish thing yet. Two, it's still very windy out there and this way, the wind was only a problem for approx. 200 meters in every loop.

Spike loves to run with me, but when he thinks we're going home he always drags behind, no matter whether we run 2 kilometers or 10.

Today with the loops it was the same thing, whenever we got close to where I usually take a right to go home, I had to pull him along. Until he realised I was taking a left, and then he ran in front of me again, sigh. I ran the loop 3 times today, so guess  how often I had to drag his little butt behind me.

Anyways, I ran 4.1 kilometers and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'll try again tomorrow morning, without Spike

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

3.6 easy miles today just to test the ankle. It felt fine, just a little awkward gait, I'm still favoring that leg a bit.

Let me try this post again (the first one got lost in cyberspace somewhere)

10 mile race this morning.  I managed to meet my time goal for the race of 6:45/mile.  This is a small race and I thought that would be good enough for a good position overall, last year I came in first for the over 40 crowd.  This year some of the faster local runners showed up so it wasn't good enough.  I ended up 11th overall and 6th for the well-seasoned runners.  Since 2 of the overall winners were over 40 I ended up with 2nd for my age group.  Pretty nice hardware overall but I just not going to be happy with it.