2000Km-1243 mile club

in pursuit of Boston and other great April runs and races (Read 15 times)

HappyFeat

Hope everyone feels great going into April! I think it's the weather, but I feel like I've had a shot in the arm or rather - the legs. My last few runs have been unexpectedly good. Let's hope it lasts through the trail half marathon race on April 13.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Happy: good for you that you're doing so well Smile You will do well at your trail run. Have fun!

I'm not around much, but it's only three more months till the end of the school year. These last three months I'm doing two courses (plus my job). Which requires me to study 90 minutes for one course before work, and 90 minutes for the 2nd course after work. With an additional two hours per course on my days off. I've come to realise that it's going to be difficult to get any runs in (and i was doing sooo well). Probably only on my days off, sigh.

Have a great day and a most excellent run!

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

That's a rough schedule, Dutchie. At least it's only for a few more months, right? Your legs will be so rested, you'll take off like a shot when you resume running!

A cold 5 miler this morning... I'm moving my long run to Friday morning to avoid a potential snow storm. Sigh.

Dutchie - good for you on dedicating yourself to the coursework! You will have a great time relaxing running this summer.

happy Wednesday, A.

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Sounds like a smart choice, Ayola. Hope your Friday long run goes well.

I tried a change of pace last night, running a tempo run at halfway between my EZ pace and my usual tempo pace. It was sustainable for the planned 5-mile segment, but I could only run 1 of  the 2 planned cooldown miles because then  my left quad/IT band started hurting worse and worse. Boo on that!

MTA: Had massage appt today. She said it's not my quad/IT band that's bothering me. It's the sartorius! That's a new one. And it's probably related to or because of my too-tight hamstring. I'm a work in progress......

Got her done- 13 miles- on Friday. Maintained pace through 8 and then slugged it out for the last hour. Dead legs for a bit but today my interval run on the treadmill went well. Hows it going out there?

I hope you are all getting prepared for Boston! Happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

Well the achilles is almost back to normal.  Still a little stiff in the mornings but as long as I keep it stretched it's no problem.  I've been tapering this week and everything should be good.  Guess what........no luck.  Last night I got a pain in the back of my left knee and it's still there.  I tried to go for an easy run today and couldn't make it more than a couple of steps Dead.  No idea where this came from.   The only possible thing is doing some yard work and kneeling.  I'm hoping that a couple days of rest will fix it up.  No turning back now, flight leaves early tomorrow morning.

HappyFeat

Good luck Brian!!!

Good luck Russ!!!

We'll be cheering for you from here!

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks Happy! Cool

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Good luck you Boston runners Smile You'll do well!

Dutchie
                      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Went to the expo today and picked up my bib.  Drove most of the course.  My left knee is still feeling exceptionally bad.  Still not sure why it's so angry at me.  2 days of walking all over Boston is not helping much.

Russ - Are you here yet?

HappyFeat

Jeff, maybe your knee pain is a phantom pain - part of pre-race jitters?

I get those and they seem real enough, but then they're gone on race day. I've had that happen repeatedly.

The other hopeful thing to consider is ... isn't adrenaline a painkiller? You'll be so pumped up on race day, nothing will hurt!

MTA I'll be running a trail half marathon tomorrow - right here on the trail I usually run! You'd think that would be "a walk in the park" - HAH! It's predicted to be raining and "feels like" 30F. 200 people have signed; 100 for the HM and 100 for the 12K that will start in on the trail at the HM halfway point - great! I think there will be a number of logjams as it is single track hugging the side of a mountain for miles with no passing lane. Plus I want to get to the shuttle bus way early due to "limited parking" and then wait for over an hour for the bus to the start....anyway, gripe gripe gripe. The way I see it, I'm doing it more for community spirit and to help test their logistics. Hope to report back that I actually enjoyed it.Roll eyes

Good luck Boston Runners; and Happy for your trail 1/2

Been a bit quiet, struggled a bit physically and mentally after the 100.  But got back on the horse with a hilly 28 km last weekend.

Feel much better now.  Just entered Rotorua Marathon in 3 weeks time.

Apologies for not getting around to writing up a race report.  Struggled to get my head around putting down how it all went.

Have a good weekend all.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Jeff, maybe your knee pain is a phantom pain - part of pre-race jitters?

I get those and they seem real enough, but then they're gone on race day. I've had that happen repeatedly.

The other hopeful thing to consider is ... isn't adrenaline a painkiller? You'll be so pumped up on race day, nothing will hurt!

I hope it's just phantom pain.  The plus side is that it seems to be just pain (kind of like an arthritis pain) and I am sure I can push through it on race day.

HappyFeat

Hey Russ and Jeff,

What are your Boston race goals/goal times?

Russ, what's your bib number? I'm working Monday of course; but if there's a way to look you guys up on my lunch hour, I'd like to try.

The trail half today was challenging for me, mainly because I tried to keep up with the faster girls for about 3 or 4 miles and that wore me out.  The start was unusual in that it started snowing (!)  while we waited (and I had the good sense to wear shorts!!!)  and that continued for a mile or so. After that, as we came down in elevation it turned to rain that continued to the end. In the end I achieved my goal time of 2:20 according to my Garmin; but it was hard won. My legs have been tired all week and they didn't have any spring today.