2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in 3/9-3/15 (Read 377 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

Anne, that race across the bay sounds great, definitely do a RR. I'm just running at home (North Georgia hills) but have the Silver Comet 10k on Saturday in the Atlanta area Nice 8.7 mile training run today, I felt pretty strong all the way.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Imminent Catastrophe

I thought I could finally join the group now that I've passed the 1,000 mile bunny! 15 miles this week so far. A
      Welcome aboard! I just realized that I caught the 1000-mile bunny today. Yay! heh

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Imminent Catastrophe

Welcome aboard! I just realized that I caught the 1000-mile bunny today. Yay! heh
        ...and 4 hours later, the bunny is back out in front. D'oh!

...---...

3 miles on an elliptical - it's not running but at least it didn't hurt to do it Big grin I may try the elliptical again today since the hip flexor, groin strain, and whatever else is wrong doesn't seem to get aggravated by it. I can see the bunny fading into the distance. Cheers all.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

...---...

I thought I could finally join the group now that I've passed the 1,000 mile bunny! 15 miles this week so far. A
            You can join the group anyway. And when you pass this bunny, stick around for a while. It's a great group. Unfortunately, per doctor's strong recommendation, I'll not be doing the Atlanta marathon in a couple weeks. So, let the rehab begin. At least I now have access to a gym with elliptical and treadmill and stationary cycle + other exercise machines. I'm pretty bummed about it but hopefully there will be many more marathons. I'm still looking to do San Francisco on July 26 so that's my goal date for getting ready. If I rehab well for 6 weeks and start out again slow, I should be able to make it. And if not, they have a couple 1/2 marathons I should be able to get into. Fingers crossed. I'll still hang around in here...just to pester everyone. Cheers.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Dang it, that's too bad Trey. What does the doc think it is?

...---...

Dang it, that's too bad Trey. What does the doc think it is?
                Hip Flexor/groin strain or pull in the upper/inner thigh area. I'll have an MRI soon given the lower to mid abdominal pain along side the groin. I went through all kinds of motion and stretching tests. I did test positive for ITBS (although the outer knees do not hurt at all) and tested positive for hip flexor/groin strain - which the Doc said all 3 (hip flexor, groin, ITBS) are often inter-related issues with runners. What caused this is unclear. I felt so strong and healthy after my 18 miler...2 days later when running a routine 8 miler, the hip area started to hurt around mile 5 or so and then the burning sensation, and then the upper/inner thigh pain. Since then it's been up and down. Feel good, then not so good. There's an occasional "clicking" sound within the hip joint area. The doc is worried that if a tendon is slipping over a bone and becomes detached during a run, I could pretty easily cause a stress fracture to my femur. This was all I needed to hear to wave the white flag. The break will give me a chance to get my spring/summer vegetable garden ready and brew a few more batches of homebrew. Any requests? I've got a nice IPA fermenting now. Thinking about a maybe doing a heffenwiesen style. Or maybe a belgium style.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Imminent Catastrophe

Oh yeah, love the IPA! Keep us posted on your rehab!

6 miles with a 3 mile tempo today. I'm in the middle of my taper now so the mileage is coming down. It felt good to do a shorter distance with some speed play. Trey - Sorry to hear about the injury. I'm sure there will be plenty more marathons for you. I know how hard it is to stop training for a marathon. I went through some similar stuff training for my first marathon. I was in physical therapy for about 4 weeks of the training. The whole time my trainer kept telling me to cut back or stop running until my problems went away but I just couldn't do it. Luckily the physical therapy helped enough to get me through and I didn't permanently injure anything. Looking back it wasn't the smartest thing to do, but you just get such tunnel vision when your in training. Kudos to you for taking the doctors advice.
                    HappyFeat

Trey - that's a huge bummerSad You have a great attitude about it and I just know your rehab will be successful. Keep us posted on your progress - six weeks goes by sooo fast. I'm betting the SF run in July will be fantastic for you!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I run for Fried Chicken!

Back from vacation yesterday. Only got 1 run in while in Singapore and that was on a hotel treadmill. I did do a walk/hike of this new path called the Southern Ridge. A big part of it is elevated so you're walking among the trees, it's quite beautiful. I'll post some of the pictures I took later but here's someone's else's blog I found with some pictures. http://www.shaunchng.com/blogs/2008/05/30/southern-ridges-park-connector-walk-canopy-walk-kent-ridge-trail-clementi-woods-and-west-coast-park/ Got my forerunner 305 while I was on vacation, went on my first run with it today. Worked great but when I did the upload to this site, there's a discrepancy between the map and the miles recorded. It shows 3.8 miles on my watch and the site but the map route shows it at 3.93. Anyone else have the same issue?
                        Dutchie42

I was faced with a difficult choice this morning: do I do the planned lower body w/o today? Or do I make up for the run I missed yesterday? I choose the run. Horrible run at first. Stopped a kazillion times to stretch out my tight calfs.... Then my feet went in sync with the music and life was good again. ETA: I just can't seem to be able to catch that darn pink beast....

Dutchie
                          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

Got my forerunner 305 while I was on vacation, went on my first run with it today. Worked great but when I did the upload to this site, there's a discrepancy between the map and the miles recorded. It shows 3.8 miles on my watch and the site but the map route shows it at 3.93. Anyone else have the same issue?
                            I get that with the 405 also. I think there are a number of ways that the data can be processed. I get slightly different results between the watch, the GTC, RA log and Ascent since they all use different algorithms.

Dutchie42

Aaron: how was your vacation? Trey: sorry to hear about having to skip the marathon. I'm not sure about my June marathon myself. I think distance wise I'm OK at this point. But I seem to get all sorts of injuries. First it was the foot. Then a severe back spasm. And Last Saturday while stretching something happened in my neck and according to my GP there's two vertebrae in my neck sort of stuck. When I was lying down I couldn't lift my head. It's a little better now. And my lower back has been feeling stiff since early December. Which coincided with the treadmill running. Guess all that back stuff is related. I'm thinking of seeing a chiropractor for my back. Did back and triceps first. Then a 6.5K doggie run.

Dutchie
                              Run the day, or the day runs you.

...---...

Dutchie - I feel for you. Best of luck though and get well. Weather here stinks today so I'm not feeling so bad about not running. Aaron - if you are anything like me, you're gonna love the Garmin (most of the time). I just love having all that data at my finger tips.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Chicago - 10/7/12