2000Km-1243 mile club

Weight Loss (Read 185 times)

So I decided to drop 10 pounds before my next marathon (Shamrock Va Beach) in March. It makes sense to me that running with 10 less pounds, especially over a marathon, will make me quicker. I am almost done with the drop in weight. I've gone from 173 at Christmas and today I was 164. The problem is that it seems like I am running slower now than I was in December. Is this because my calorie intake is too low for proper carb loading? Obviously I plan on raising my calories back up soon as I have achieved my weight goal, but I am concerned. I have bonked on both my 20 miler and 22 miler. Anybody have any experience with this?

...---...

I think I've been in a similar situation. Sounds to me like a pretty fast drop in weight considering your training load. I'm assuming you're probably doing more in mileage this go around? Or at least faster training? Essentially, you and I weigh about the same now and I also went from about 173 to current 160 (which is closer to the weight I had through my 20's and most of my 30's which was about 157). I definitely struggle in my runs when cutting back carbs. I bonked hard on a 14 miler this past fall was a result of not eating well in the days just before. Gong back to eating the right balance on Thurs/Fri before a Saturday long run seems to have done the trick. I also added in GU gels on the runs >13 or 14 miles and haven't hit the wall since. Sometimes I just include sports drinks instead of gels but on anything 18 or more, I'll do both gels and sports drinks (but not together). But you probably know this. Anyway, I suspect that if you started taking in a little more available calories, the situation will probably correct. Either that or you're just run down with the high mileage. In that case, when you tapper, you'll rebound. Either way, sounds like you need more fuel.

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Dutchie42

I think you lost weight too fast and your body is letting you know. Give it a few weeks and you probably run better again. I'm in the process of loosing 11 lbs. But I'm taking it really slow to keep up the energy. The plan is too loose it over a period of 5 months. So far all I've done in January is food journalling and omitting things or replacing it with a healthier more nutritional alternative and portion control. More nutritional means I eat less of it. My energy levels are fine and my running is better than it has been in a long time. I'm continuing with the food journalling in February. The food journalling has made me aware that even healthy food can contain a lot of calories and that I'm lacking in the vitamins and mineral department, even with healthy choices. Every week I change or delete something from my usual food choices. I've omitted cookies (obviously), the creamed soup at work and the (bad) stuff I eat when I get home after work and before dinner. I've subbed white rice with brown rice and white pasta with whole wheat pasta. I have 3 slices of really dark bread with pumpkin seeds for lunch instead of 2 or 3 bread rolls. Plus I've upped my water intake, and I eat more veggies and fruit. And at dinner, I try to stick to the 50-20-30 rule (carbs, fat, protein). I've noticed I eat less but am not hungry. My weight is down 4 lbs. My waist shrank with 4 centimeters already and my fat % has gone down 3.5% (24% this morning).

Dutchie
        Run the day, or the day runs you.

Gig

I guess I need to drop a few pounds. Over the past few years, I went from 197.5, very gradually down to 170. I'd get to a plateau, like 180, and hold there, and even allow myself to go up a bit. It's definitely been a long-term project for me. Around six months ago, I hit 165, but I've been hovering between 165 and 170 since then, and I'm actually climbing closer toward 175 not. I guess it's time to start losing again. My target weight is 160. That's what my doctor wants to see, anyway. I don't know if my weight loss beyond 180 or 185 has helped me get faster or not. I've definitely gotten faster, but last year I really focused on speed for the first time. It's hard to say. It certainly hasn't hurt, but I've been sure to keep my proteins and carbs high. I'm not really answering your question, Jeff. My advice would be to not take advice from me, honestly. I ate 47 cookies yesterday. They were so chewy.
            There was a part of me that was saying I was losing weight too fast. I've heard it from some non runners also, so I guess I'm finally on board. The good news is that I'm done losing weight anyway. I will now try to hold below 165 and hopefully the boost in calories will gradually even out and my speed will come back up. It definitely looks like the increase in mileage and decrease in calories is what I was feeling. I have been using gels and powerade on my long runs for a while, and thought that would be enough for my long runs. I read an interesting post in another forum that talked about the maximum number of calories the body can store. And how in the morning your stores are down a little even if you have been carb loading. My bad runs definitely happen more when I don't eat alot in the morning before my runs. I think the other fix for me is going to be getting up a little earlier and eating more. Thanks for the responses. I'll let you know how the experiment works out. Jeff
            Gig

That's another bad habit I've got to break. I almost never eat anything before a morning run. If I'm going really long, I might have a packet of Gu. I've gotta fix that.

Imminent Catastrophe

That's good advice. I think that in general, not eating in the morning is probably a bad thing, whether or not you are running. I've fallen into the bad habit of just one big meal at night, I need to change that.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Perfesser: are you saying you don't have breakfast or lunch? Or a mid-morning/mid-afternoon snack?

Dutchie
                  Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

I usually end up snacking on something unhealthy mid-day. That's part of the problem.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016