2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in 22 - 28 March (Read 348 times)

Dutchie42

Hi everyone,

New week, let's make it a good one Beautiful spring day here.

Today's workouts:

2.75 kilometer warm up run (you could consider it a recovery run). Couldn't get my breathing under control and needed 3x 30 second breaks in the first 7 minutes.

30 minute LB w/o. Legs feelt soooo much better after. Followed by a 25 minute chest/triceps w/o. Ran out of time for abs.... again

ETA

Plodder: congrats on the half mary. Great job!

Heffa: those are the best times when you get to do something like that with the whole family. Congrats to all of you.

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Thanks Dutchie, it really was a good feeling crossing the finish with the whole family.  I was so proud and happy when the announcer called out my boy's name and age (12) and the crowd cheered.  He was glowing!  Then the announcer called out me and my wife as "and the proud parents, I assume anyway"  I looked over and nodded and he says "It's confirmed!  The proud parents"  and we were.

Now picture this one.  I'm in the front yard with nothing on but my biking shorts, I turn the hose on myself and get totally drenched, I run to my bike parked in the yard and drop to the ground and quickly don biking attire and take to the street, 20 mins later I dump the bike and take off running.....  It had to look pretty silly but I had never done it before and figure I had better practice at least once.  My swim to bike transition is rather weak (time 1:44) but at least I have an idea of what to do.

Imminent Catastrophe

Back to back 10-milers in NYC yesterday and today. Yesterday was a beautiful day, today was cold and rainy. It was hard to get out in the rain but once I did and realized I wouldn't melt it was great. Until the chafing issues. I got some serious chafing issues, and actually cut today's run short. Ouch.

That was the most painful shower ever! 

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dog-Love

Ran one of my favorite trails here in Juneau that is usually off limits until May but we have had a lack of snow so the backside was passable.  Felt excellent at the End of the 5 miler.  Rusty...very pooped.
          Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

"Normal" weather here in Halifax (kinda rainy but more importantly windy) put me on the TM this morning for 4.5

Yesterday i was inspired to actually lift some weights and I did an upper body workout based on Core Performance after some elliptical - I definitely notice the difference when I do it - when running long I don't get as tired.

Happy Tuesday, A

PS How do you clean a keyboard - mine is getting a bit grubby from breakfast time

Recalculating...

A little tip of the hat to andsmit: he'd been gaining on me steadily the last few weeks and dropped me back to third place a few times.  I thought a 45 mile week would put a little distance on him, but he threw down a 65 mile week and left me choking on his fumes.  Oh well, it was nice while it lasted.

Well played, Andrew Smit.  Well played, indeed.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

Quiet here this week.

Gorgeous Spring day: a steaming 18C with a light breeze. Spooky managed to jump in cement. We were running on this path between fields (where they grow stuff like carrots and peas) and I saw these men up ahead doing who knows what. Spooky ran towards them, tail wagging all friendly and jumped straight in. These men started shouting at her, waving their arms and trying to get her away. As I got closer I realised they put cement down to lay these huge concrete slabs. I apologised of course, but hey, how were we to know Who puts cement down right smack in the middle of carrot fields???

drphibes: that's how Ayola and I have been dancing. First she's chasing me, now I'm chasing her. You wanna bet who's gonna get to the bunny first?

Dutchie

The Plodder

Cheers Dutchie

I have felt great this week - just had no time to train.

Managed two half hour sessions on the deadmill, was hoping to go for a trot round tonight, but am still stuck at work so that may slide.

Am definitely going to do a nice steady 10 miler tomorrow, and see how the weekend pans out.

I don't know Dutchie - the bunny seems very elusive right now...

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Come on Ayola, we're not that far behind the bunny. We can do it. Just follow me... but you have to let me pass first

Plodder: 2 weeks ago I decided that when I don't have time to run, I should try to get at least 10 minutes in. I should be able to manage 10 minutes! I'm supposed to run 5xweek, and since then I haven't missed a run. I've run less then I'd planned, but I did run.

This morning was 30 min strength training (back, shoulders, biceps), 10 min ab w/o and a 7 kilometer run. Bit chilly out.

Dutchie

Just a dude.

Blah... what a not very good week for me...

Wednesday I got stuck in a meeting after work that went forever... Didn't get home till after 10pm... It was cold and windy... I was supposed to do a tough workout... I wimped out and went to bed... 

Yesterday my mom-in-law had a birthday so we had family over... They didn't leave till around 11 pm... No run again... 

Today I just didn't feel like running... So I jogged over to a local track and just ran an 800 and jogged back... My long run tomorrow is intimidating me...  I am just feeling blah about the whole thing... 

Part of it is that I've been kinda trying to run with a local group here... I'm just not finding myself fitting in... Yet, at the same time I've been reading articles and blogs and stuff about how beneficial it is to run with others to help keep the motivation up... Sigh... oh well...

I hope to still get over 30 miles this week... But I need to get my long run in tomorrow...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Dutchie42

Kelly: I believe motivation comes from within or at least should. You either want to run or you don't. Of course, if you know someone is waiting for you you're less likely to skip a run, but it doesn't mean you want to.

At times I find it hard to go out for a run cause as a single mother with a full time job and courses to study for, I'm pretty busy. And I need to get other stuff done. Sometimes I'm just too sleepy or tired. Don't let it get you down. You'll find your mojo again. Till then, just tell yourself, you only have to go out and run for 10 minutes. That's all.

And my long runs intimidate me at times too. Especially if the forecast isn't looking good. But in the end, I always enjoyed my runs.

Did 5.5 kilometers with both dogs. Spike was like a dachshund on crack again. That dog is sometimes unbelievably motivated to run, but he's a much faster runner than I am. So when I finally could, I took him off leash and he dashed off. Spooky chased him all the way.  Off to shower and run errands.

Dutchie

schedule switcheroo!

Its -10ºC and windy WTF! so I'm going upstairs for 5 on the treadmill - mother nature grumble grumble

I'm going to try a 10 miler early Monday morning when the weather isn't arctic.

Kelly - I think you are doing great. your miles are solid and you are actually trying to run with a group (not just chickening out like I do every sunday) Don't worry everyone has a down day or two - plus it sounds like the office is a real priority now...

OK off to stomp it out on the TM

A

Recalculating...

Dog-Love

10K race today...just want to feel good throughout it or at least most of it.  Think I'll aim for 55 minutes but I am going to try to not listen to my negative self talk that always seems to emerge during a race

Kelly...even if you don't get a 30 mile week in, give yourself a break.  You have been really wroking hard at multiple things and running mojo comes and goes. A while ago you hoped for 20 mile weeks and now that is pretty easy to do.

I am headed for 30 mile weeks but I am not quite there with little time available for long runs these days (not to mention sneety (snow sleet) weather)

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)
                              HappyFeat

I've been invited to do long runs on Saturday mornings with two other women. One is training the other for her first HM in June.  Today's 8 mile run went well for me; gorgeous weather and scenery, good company. It had some hills, which is good for me since I rarely do any - and should.

It was a positive finish on an otherwise slow and tough running week. I'm trying to use my glutes more and not overload my hams. This relieves my hamstring pain, but my butt muscles are really feeling it and my pace is slower than I'd like.  On Tuesday, I'll be getting together with a friend who teaches Pilates and she's going to show me some good exercises to strengthen the glutes and core.  So over time I expect all this will improve.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.