2000Km-1243 mile club

December 2014 (Read 12 times)

It's summer, supposedly.  Very un-summery down this part of the world.

Does look like you've had a bit of snow in the US though.

Been a bit slack for a while.  Had a cold and was just a bit fatigued.  Had some training courses at work also that used up valuable training time.  Oh well, never mind.  Went for a 9k on Saturday - strong head wind with daughter in the buggy, followed up by a 20k on the Sunday.  A bit unpleasant at the end.  Obviously need to build up a bit slower.

100k trail ultra in 9 weeks, so may just have to harden up :-)  I am fairly sure I can finish, but i may not be pretty.

So whats everyone else been up to? Hitting the treadmills?

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

That would be Tarawera, right?   I wonder if there's some sort of targeted ultra-training program that would get you there in two months. Maybe you know all the tricks already?  I imagine after your recent 24-hour experience, you're good for the miles. It's the 100K on trail that requires extra effort and focus -- and training miles on trail.

I got about 3 inches of snow one night about a week ago, but because the temps stayed in the high 20's low 30's, it didn't melt until about yesterday,  The skies were clear and sunny for the most part though... until now...we're back to gray and rainy. I've been on the treadmill weeknights and the trail and paved bike trail on weekends.

Without planning it, the last month had mostly high mileage weeks for me (45-ish). Combine that with running both weekend days as well (instead of taking the day off before/after the long run), my legs are soooo verrrry tired. So I cut back a bit this week and have got it planned out so I can reach my 2014 pace bunny goal on just under 40 mpw. The reduction should give my legs a nice break.

The positive spin is since I can barely run faster than a jog now, DH was way ahead of me last weekend and I had to call out to him to wait for me....I'm assuming there's an ego boost in there for him with the role reversal from a month ago. We've been out on the trail 4 times I think and had a great time and good conditions each time.

This weekend as part of my cut-back, I'm planning on a single long run on Saturday and then a 3-hour yoga workshop on Sunday.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

That would be Tarawera, right?   I wonder if there's some sort of targeted ultra-training program that would get you there in two months. Maybe you know all the tricks already?  I imagine after your recent 24-hour experience, you're good for the miles. It's the 100K on trail that requires extra effort and focus -- and training miles on trail.

I got about 3 inches of snow one night about a week ago, but because the temps stayed in the high 20's low 30's, it didn't melt until about yesterday,  The skies were clear and sunny for the most part though... until now...we're back to gray and rainy. I've been on the treadmill weeknights and the trail and paved bike trail on weekends.

Without planning it, the last month had mostly high mileage weeks for me (45-ish). Combine that with running both weekend days as well (instead of taking the day off before/after the long run), my legs are soooo verrrry tired. So I cut back a bit this week and have got it planned out so I can reach my 2014 pace bunny goal on just under 40 mpw. The reduction should give my legs a nice break.

The positive spin is since I can barely run faster than a jog now, DH was way ahead of me last weekend and I had to call out to him to wait for me....I'm assuming there's an ego boost in there for him with the role reversal from a month ago. We've been out on the trail 4 times I think and had a great time and good conditions each time.

This weekend as part of my cut-back, I'm planning on a single long run on Saturday and then a 3-hour yoga workshop on Sunday.

Yep Tarawera.....getting closer now.  There is no way I can build up to a good training mileage by race day so have decided to get as close as possible.  Aiming to stay injury free.  Been starting to get back into the double run days again.  10km in the morning - 10 km in the afternoon.  Seemed to work last time.

Have you had a good rest yet Happy?  That was some decent distance you were logging earlier this month.  Must be a decent goal distance you are targeting....

Myself, just been through 2500 km.  Never would have thought I would get anywhere near that 4 or 5 years ago.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

2500 km YTD is awesome, Puke!  Know what you mean - I never thought I'd be shooting for the 2000 mile goal myself and now it is within reach - theoretically.  It's the "staying injury-free" so as to achieve the goal that seems to be the hard part. I will keep my fingers crossed you are able to do that.

Myself - well I ran on still tired legs last weekend out on the trail and - you guessed it - TRIPPED! and badly wrenched my back. Took a couple days off and the main whole body soreness went away; so have resumed running while trying to get things sorted out. I went to a chiropractor who relieved one problem only to cause another one, and then relapse the first problem! Fuckity! So now I'm not going back to her and haven't decided on my next step yet. Time will tell just how serious the problem is  -- or not.  My trusty physical therapist from last year is away for several weeks; otherwise I'd get in to see him. I'm taking the running day-to-day, but still hoping to meet the mileage goal....because I don't think I want to try for it again! It's a load of miles!

Just wanted to say - you guys are awesome! I'm still trying for 2000k, maybe 2015...

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

You can do it! I know you can

My only goal is to manage 3 runs a week, 5 kilometers at at time.

Dutchie
              Run the day, or the day runs you.

Hi Dutchie!

Recalculating...

Hi Dutchie

Ayola - Go for it in 2015!!!

Happy - only a marathon over two days to reach the 2000 miles?   Should be doable. As long as the trip injury doesn't hold you back. Good luck

Down under the heat has finally arrived. (well hot for us anyway) To celebrate I have actually been planning runs in the hottest part of the day.  Theory is that in a months time I will be running from dawn till dusk so may as well be acclimatised.  Didn't go as planned on the weekend though.  My hot 18km run ended up being cooler than my 32km early run.  Still felt ok though.

Continuing to build up the weekly distance with this week probably my longest before I start to taper.  Or maybe it is next week.

So, any wild and extravagant goals out there for next year?

Myself;

• I would like to complete over 200km in the 24 hour track race.  No idea how I will find another 19km but actually training better may help :-)
                  • Shoot for 2000 miles.  HappyFeat has inspired me to try for that.

Happy holidays all, now get out there and run

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Hi Dutchie!! What's new?

15 miles over the next 2 runs will get me to my goal - once an unimaginable distance.

I'm still taking it one day at a time. Naturally I tripped AGAIN on Xmas Day, more of a stumble (on rocky rubble), but aggravating everything that may have been thinking of calming down. Yesterday and today, I ran on smooth nontechnical terrain and felt like some improvement has been made with regard to my back. The left pelvis is still askew though and causes discomfort in the left leg and right pyriformis. I saw a new Physical Therapist last Monday who tried to tug it back into place without success. I go back to him tomorrow, maybe he will make more progress.

Well alright, Puke, if you are going to go after the 2000 mile bunny next year I just may have to join you! I saw someone else's goal of 2015 in 2015. That has a nice ring to it.  The average weekly mileage for 2000 is just under 40 which seems quite manageable now that I've worked up to where I can run that on a regular basis. The problem is it doesn't allow for cut-back or taper weeks or time off for injury or illness. So any lost miles have to be made up somewhere along the line, making for some high mileage weeks! That's the biggest challenge.

Good thinking on getting acclimatized for Tarawera, Puke. Your phrase about running "from dawn to dusk" makes me shudder; whether from aversion or attraction, I'm not entirely sure.

My only wild and extravagant goal for 2015 would be the trail running vacation in May. That tops the list.

MTA:

Looking back to the start of this year, I see that I totally forgot about my only goal of pursuing a 10K PB.  Then I got the iron problem in summer and lost the ability to do any speed work at all. Maybe someday I'll go after it again.