2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 18-24 May- (Read 300 times)

Imminent Catastrophe

It's getting warmer and humid-er! 8.6-mile long hilly run today, with 6x100m strides. I hit the later hills hard to get a little "hillwork" in.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Dutchie42

Gorgeous morning: 14C and a little breeze. Ran later than usual, cause I've got the day off Big grin Jimmy came too. It was supposed to be an easy run, and it was, for him. For me it turned into a tempo run. I need to change my training plan and make Friday a "speed" day Tongue

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dog-Love

No running yesterday...I definitely needed a break. Sore legs. Good luck on the hilly 5K Trey...Today I hope to run and lift weights abit...
        Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

5.4 today easy on the TM but, afterward my right foot is hurting. It's been like this all day. I had planned on a long run tomorrow but if it's like this in the morning, no. It's on ice now. Send your good vibes to right foot, everyone. Thanks!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Dutchie42

Another gorgeous morning! 16C with a nice breeze

Did a 8.6K out&back. It's strange how my preferences have changed over the years. I used to hate out&backs. I loved loops. Now I love out&backs. I still like loops too. I used to love to run for distance. Now I love to run for time, as in simply run for a certain amount of time and afterwards find out how much mileage I did. It takes away much of the pressure to run a certain distance and stressing about it especially at the end of a long run when I'm tired and still have 2kms or so to run. I used to be really focused on my speed. Now I don't care so much. I just run mostly easy, and when Jimmy comes along I run hard (or if I'm on the TM).

Perfesser: sending good vibes to R-foot. May take a while before they've crossed the ocean though.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

AnneCA

Crabby -- hope the race went well! 

Trey -- hope your race left you in good shape for a LR tomorrow.

Russ -- good vibes for the right foot.

Dutchie -- enjoy that weather!

Well, I got in 17 today -- okay, 16.8.  It went, actually, fine.  You know what?  I think I might be able to pull this off. 

Imminent Catastrophe

Thanks all. I'm pretty sure it's plantar fasciitis, I did an easy 4-mile TM today and it loosened up after a couple of miles. It's not a show-stopper but I'll need to get it under control. Hello ice!

Dog-Love

The race was awesome!  Great weather and about 150 runners (30 teams of 5).  I am still crunching data to get the leg times but the winners in 5 divisions get a pair of tickets to see the Subdudes tonight and I was invited to go along...yea!

Not running though...but the break is good...next week will be better

Run like you are on fire! 5K goal 24:00 or less (PR 24:34) 10K goal 50:00 or less (PR 52:45) HM goal 1:55:00 or less (PR 2:03:02) Marathon Goal...Less than my PR (PR 4:33:23)

Imminent Catastrophe

Foot is still bad today. I'm getting worried about it.

Race report for Elizabeth River Run 10K : 

I was concerned that my hectic schedule as of late would affect my performance.  Then I decided to spend 3 hours bent over sealing the concrete around my pool the day before.  It wasn't shaping up to be my best performance.  Come race day the weather was very nice.  A little too nice actually.  It was almost 80F by race time (8:00 AM!).  I wasn't feeling very confident standing at the starting line.  I was attempting to beat my PR of 44:10 from the same race last year. 

The first mile I was clearly out too fast...6:36.  I reeled it in and got into a good rhythm...mile 2 - 6:57....mile 3 - 6:58.  Then everything started going south.  I was really feeling the heat and the soreness in my legs.  I muscled through miles 4 and 5 at just over 7:00 pace, but I wasn't happy about it.  I thought about giving up at the 5 mile point, but somehow managed to run through it.  I knew if I kept up my pace I could still PR.  At 5.5 you can see the finish and that was all I needed to pick it up through the line at 44:01.  Good enough for 6/46 for my age!  And my team mates came through and we defended the corporate title as well!  Not really the time I was looking for, but considering the circumstances I am satisfied with it.

AnneCA

Russ -- I sure hope that foot turns a corner soon!

Jeff -- great race!

Race report for the Memorial Day Dash 5K.  Attempt #3 at a sub-27 5K.  Best so far: 27:13

Coming off 10 on Saturday and 3.5 on Sunday, my legs were pretty dead.  Plus I'd done something to my calf playing softball Thursday and it hadn't gotten much better.  Race temp was above 70, overcast with near 100% humidity.  After a little warmup jog of a mile or so I was soaked. My expectations weren't very high and they were met, although I wound up having a pretty good race.

The race is run on an interesting, but challenging and technical course.  The first half mile runs steeply down into a minor league baseball stadium and then circles the perimeter of the field.  Did the first half mile at 8:32 which was right on plan.  The second half mile and most of the third are all up hill climbing to and circling a civil war fort.  Tried to push effort right to the edge, but still could only hold a 9:40 pace.  Any hopes of a PR  were done at this point.

The fourth half runs downhill past a science museum.  The plan had been to pick up to above goal pace here, but the hill had done its damage and I was only able to do 8:49.  Mile 3 winds through the old city cemetery.  And when I say wind, I mean like 20 turns of winding.  On paper, this third mile was all downhill and here was where I planned to really turn it on.  In reality, for every turn downhill, there was a turn back that went up hill and I couldn't hold the pace.  Mile 3 was 8:22 and the last tenth was a 6:48.  Final total: 27:23.  No sub-27, no PR.  Still, given the conditions, the course and my condition, I doubt that I could have done much better.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013