2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly check-in 8-14 Feb (Read 461 times)

Good luck Dutchie!

I'm sipping my pre long run breakfast - chicken soup - and trying to figure out how my dead legs are going to run 12 miles. I guess there's going to be some walking in there.

A

I'm reading a bit of Arthur Lydiard and he says something simple: Miles make the champions.

Recalculating...

Today was the day I planned to run my second half marathon of the year (and in a month).  After going so deep in the tank in New Orleans I decided not to sign up (I had been smart enough not register before the marathon, yay me).  All this past week I kept having to talk myself out of running it.  It's a table flat course, very fast and the weather was going to be cool with maybe a light rain.  Then yesterday I volunteered and helped set up the finish line.  This race finishes inside LP Field (where the Titans play) at the 50 yard line.  So I was setting up the finish line, on an NFL field. How cool is that?  Well it wasn't really on the field but on the edge of the field.  The field and sidelines were completely covered with protective fabric.  If you're wondering, an NFL stadium looks pretty small when you're on the field and it has no lines and there are no people in the stands.

After we were done I went back up to the registration area and wandered around for a while.  I went past the number lists on the wall, the bib and chip tables, more than once.  I intentionally didn't look at the shirt.  And then I went home.  I just couldn't bring myself to pay $50 and know I wouldn't be at my best.  It was the right decision.  15 miler this morning and I had nothing.  I was barely able to hold on to 11 minute pace and my legs were absolutely killing me when I finished.  So maybe I'm finding some wisdom (which I would happily trade for some speed).

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

HappyFeat

Good luck, Dutchie!!

Hey all, I'm passing along info about a website that I just discovered which I've already found helpful. They are do-it-as-you-watch videos on self-massage, some of it specific to runners. The author is a guy named Rich Poley.  I've already discovered sore muscles I didn't know I had that could be contributing to my current running setback. PLUS I've learned an easy and effective way to self massage the hamstring. Check it out:

http://selfmassageforathletes.com./Videos.html

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Dutchie42

Thanks everyone, I needed the luck   I feel sooo exhausted.

I was in a team of 3 runners, one cyclist and one driver. We ran legs of 1.5 kms in the 1st loop, then 2.0 kms in the 2nd loop (experimenting a little), and again 1.5kms in the 3rd loop. As the kilometers passsed, it got harder and harder. You know, I was sort of relaxing in the car then it was my turn again and I had to step into the rain and cold. Mostly we were exposed to this nasty wind. 

And I did the stupidist thing... Early into the 2nd loop I had to pee, and while running down a river dike looked back at our cyclist to tell her what I was gonna do (so she wouldn't think I'd gone crazy running down the dike) and didn't notice the difference between the road and the dirt. I "misstepped" and injured my R-hip, Arghhhh. It got progressively worse cause we still had about 39 kilometers left to run.

I made it though. All the way to the finish line. But I got slower and slower. Otoh, I was running way too fast in the first loop running 1.5 kilometers in 8:07 minutes. Way too fast. But my team mates were very fast and I tried to not slow the team down too much. After I injured my hip, I had no choice but to slow down to 10-11 minutes per leg.

This team running thing was a whole new experience for me. Despite the weather and my hip, it was FUN!

Off to bed now.

Dutchie
          Run the day, or the day runs you.

Just a dude.

Good job... sounds like a real challenge...

So you basically ran 10 or so minutes, then rested 20 minutes?  That would kill me... i'd rather run 30 and rest an hour or something like that...

I did a set of hill repeats today, and it was pretty hard... which is good I spose...

Also, I failed miserably on not upping my mileage this week... /sigh

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

6 miles yesterday.  I threw in a little speed for the first time this year and it went pretty well.  Today I did a 10 mile walk with the family.  It was our last training walk for the half marathon next weekend.  It will be the first half for wife and son.  Our goal is 4 hours.  Now I just have to fit in my 16 miler Sunday or Monday.

Brian - It must be hard to see your improvements from where you're standing (running), but it's obvious to everybody else here.  Your improvements have been impressive this last year and I know you have more speed on the way, give it some time.

Dutchie - Congrats on your new team running experience.  I'm still not quite understanding the logistics behind it, but it does sound like fun.

Dutchie42

Feeling much better today.

My personal finish time was 2:25:44, which is about what I run in a half marathon race.

Team finish time was 5:27:21. My team mates were definitely faster runners than I was.

Kelly: I think I had about a 13 minute rest between legs. After I injured my hip that was really hard cause my hip would get stiff.And what really bothered me was that I relaxed in a nice warm van while waiting, then had to step out again in the cold, rain and wind.

The van was too small to properly stretch my hip out, or my hip flexor. That might have helped with the injury.

Food and (sports) drinks were in the van.

Heffa: what happens is they drop you from the van, and the van drives on to the next stop with the rest of the team. After you've run your leg, the van is waiting, the next runner takes off and you get in the van for your "rest period". The van drives on to the next stop. It's difficult for the driver cause he has to remember to stop every 1.5 or 2.0 kilometers. Someone on a bike accompanies the runner to (1) show the route and (2) for safety. Actually, there are supposed to be two bikers: one before the runner and the other one behind the runner, but my team was one biker short. So my biker would ride behind me, shouting when to turn left or right or whatever.

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

Dutchie: I have to say that sounds like the most fun ever.  I imagine it will be easier (in some ways) as you start doing longer intervals.  In the final race, how long will your average interval be?  Hope the leg heals up quickly.

Jeff: thanks for the encouragement.  Hope I didn't sound like I'm whining (too much).  My main reason for wishing to be faster is it takes so much time to get my runs in.  I'm pretty much at the limit of available time, which means I'm at the limit of distance.

Dutchie: The relay sounds fun and wacky

Feeling alot better today. Just finished an easy  park loop (3.25) after a disaster run yesterday (7.5 was supposed to be 12). Lesson learned from this week - no fast running on Thursday afternoon before Saturday morning long run, There was no "go" in the legs, I'm getting a little worried hat I have no fast speed, but I'll remember to practice that on Tues or Wed so I can recover for the long run. I'm looking at a 5K in April to test things out.

Rest week coming up - phew. Still on track for 110 mile month so I'm trying to not feel too bad about my silly mistake.

A

Recalculating...

Took the dog out for 8.  He'd never gone farther than 7 but he stayed in the lead the whole way.