2000Km-1243 mile club

March 2015 (Read 16 times)

HappyFeat

Weekend check-in everyone! How's it going?

Ze??

Dutchie, are you well now?

My home computer is back online - yay!  I'm slowly getting better. Been on amoxicillin since last Friday for what turned into a sinus infection. It's a bright sunshiny day here today with more of the same tomorrow.  DH and I enjoyed a 10-mile run on the paved bike trail before he went to work. Tomorrow I'm running 15 miles on a different paved bike trail with Shelly. I don't expect it to be easy, but I hope it's a good day for me. Got repeat labs last week and I'm hypothyroid again, which explains the frustratingly slow paces of late, the fuzzy head, and why everything is an effort. Some of that is also from being sick for 3 weeks; but the slowdown started about 3 months ago. Over the next couple months, I'll be looking for some improvement.  Well I know I should get out and enjoy springtime in my yard. It looks so inviting, but my head is so fuzzy and I can't gen up the energy to go outside. Isn't that crazy? I can go for a run, but not putter in the yard.  Plus there seems to be a lot on the household To Do List...oh dear.

MTA: Hours later....some stuff got done today...not a whole helluva lot though.

However - for y'all's entertainment - since I've been sitting here guffawing for the last while, I'm sharing a link to some quotes (mostly hilarious because true) from an ultrarunning site that I no longer know how I came across.

Enjoy and share your fave, if you can pick just one!

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/storiesShow.asp?id=281

I like these:

"No matter what hurts at the beginning, by the end of the race something else will hurt worse." - Bob O'Connor

"If you start to feel good during an Ultra, don't worry - you'll get over it." - Gene Thibeault

"Your biggest challenge isn't someone else. It's the ache in your lungs and the burning in your legs, and the voice inside you that yells 'CAN'T", but you don't listen. You just push harder. And then you hear the voice whisper 'can'. And you discover that the person you thought you were is no match for the one you really are." - Unknown

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

"Beware of the chair" Ha! Fun list.

9 miles on the waterfront today, kinda cold but lots of smiles and folks out getting some vitamin D activation.

Nothing too exciting here... What's going on out there?

A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

Heffa47 - I looked at your log to see whassup. Hey you! Awesome race result today! Congrats!!

HappyFeat

Heffa47 - I looked at your log to see whassup. Hey you! Awesome race result today! Congrats!!

Bet me to it Happy.  Was just trolling the logs and saw his marathon effort.

Awesome time, Heffa.  BQ?

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Enjoy and share your fave, if you can pick just one!

http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/storiesShow.asp?id=281

So many I can relate to.

"In ultrarunning, the pain is inevitable, but the suffering is optional."

"The only way to define your limits is by going beyond them."

"The pain is temporary, The pride lasts forever."

"Find the level of intolerance you can tolerate and stay there."

"Everyone can be an ultrarunner.  You just have to want to"

Week went well, must load my workouts up this evening.  Nothing flashy, just a few "fun" pointless runs.  But enjoyable.  Saturday took the daughter in the buggy and headed into town to meet DW at cafe for coffee and Cronuts - do you guys get cronuts up north?  Horrible carb and fat laden bundles of goodness :-)

Started off this week by running in to work (10 km) and very shortly will be running home as well.  Really looking forward to that, said nobody ever.

Have a good week all.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Dutchie42

Hi Everyone,

I can finally run without my lungs hurting or coughing for the rest of the day. Jeez, that took forever to go away. Pleasant surprise: my run/walks feel easy and fly by. I'll be rebuilding again. For the umptieth time. Only the third time this year thoudh Smile

I'll update my training log soon, but I ran Sat and today without any problems. I also ran last Monday but that just resulted in two days of constant coughing. So far, so good. Tomorrow is strength training. Now that should be interesting after what, 5, 6 weeks of nothing?

Happy: speaking of home computer, I changed internet providers today and that also went surprisingly smoothly. Hypothyroid? Is it working too fast or too slow? Do you have to take meds? LOL, I know what you mean with the no energy to do the chores.... that's a lifelong affliction of mine Smile

Apparently, I can now export my runs from my Polar M400 and import here. Haven't tried it yet. Must figure it out someday. Probably sounds more complicated than it is.

Dutchie
                Run the day, or the day runs you.

HappyFeat

Good luck getting back into the swing of things, Dutchie. Glad you're able to run again finally.

I've been hypothyroid since probably about 14 years old, on hormone replacement since age 28 and stable for a 20 years until 10 years ago when it became a roller coaster.  Now it's high, now it's low, requiring periodic dose adjustments which never seem to result in stability.  Just one of those things.  However, now that I've had to deal with low iron stores (low ferritin, low hemoglobin) this past year that led to losing my hair and having muscle pain and impaired recovery from my runs - the thyroid business is a cakewalk and should sort itself out in a couple months. The iron business is turning around, but it's been slow.

Yeah, I was pretty happy with my race.  I was very concerned about my training going in since the weather has been so bad.  It was a nice 40F sunny day for the race and everything just came together.  BQ by over 4 minutes and about a minute under my goal.  Big weight off my shoulders that I can start planning for next April.

HappyFeat

everything just came together.  BQ by over 4 minutes and about a minute under my goal. 

All your hard work paid off in a big accomplishment. What a confidence-builder. You should be proud of yourself!

Yeah, I was pretty happy with my race.  I was very concerned about my training going in since the weather has been so bad.  It was a nice 40F sunny day for the race and everything just came together.  BQ by over 4 minutes and about a minute under my goal.  Big weight off my shoulders that I can start planning for next April.

Fantastic Heffa.  Sounds like a perfect day.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Dutchie42

Everything worked out perfectly for you Heffa. Well done!

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Any weekend runs to report on?

DH and I did 10 miles yesterday and planned on 15 today.  We switched gears from planned trail run to paved bike trail due to continuous drenching rain - it just seemed safer. Then due to nasty conditions, decided to just do 10 miles and come home, get warm and dry and go back out for the remaining 5. Never did go back out...the first run was so cold and wet...despite raincoat and tights...I was soaked by mile 4 and had no circulation in my toes or hands for most of the run. My mittens were soaked, heavy, and cold. I couldn't manage my drink bottle. I started feeling colder and colder...all this and it was only about 40F. Sheer Craziness because I've run in 30F with no problem! Got home, took hot shower, still cold, noticed big red itchy blotches on my shoulder, chest, quads - my first "cold rash"!!!  Had lunch and hot tea. Still feel like a truck ran over me. The only thing that makes me feel somewhat reassured is DH was just as cold and wet and is now asleep in his chair  I also talked to Shelly who was supposed to do a 20-miler today and she only made it 11 due to being super cold and wet.  So it wasn't just me!

BQ!

Happy - that temperature right above freezing is a dangerous one when it's wet, especially for hands and feet. Glad you're safely at home.

Monday morning.

11.5 miles on the treadmill on Saturday, not awesome but I like feeling comfortable with quantity of miles early in the spring. The early morning crowd at the gym is nice and supportive. Next week long run is 13 miles, the weather is predicted right around the zero mark. I may do half inside/ half outside.

Yesterday, a short recovery run was planned, but Mother Nature scuttled it. Another 12 inches of snow down, so the husband and I shovelled for two hours and that was the workout for the day. I made a nice chicken dumpling soup for dinner.

Mondays are my rest day and I'm pretty sore as I'm sure everyone else in town is, A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

Had the day off, so it was already 11AM before I left the house for a run. Without dogs. For some reason, I just wanted to run by myself. It was a nice spring morning. And I think I did pretty well   My pace and mileage are increasing, though I'm still nowhere near a continuous run.

Happy: wet&cold is a dangerous combination. People don't realise it,, but runners can get hypothermia, even when running!

ETA: been fidling around with exporting my training from my HRM to my training log. Can't get it to work..

Dutchie