2000Km-1243 mile club

February! (Read 22 times)

Puke - I'm ready for some hot.

Happy - Hang in there, I'm sure things will pick up for both of you soon.

Dutchie - You are such a trooper.

Russ - A measly 72 miles, huh.  I've run almost half that far........once.

I had a great race this weekend at my local 14K.  I had only ever run that distance once before, 4 years ago in 59:30.  I wanted to finish under an hour again this time.  I finished in 58:31 and felt pretty comfortable doing it (take that 41 year old self).  I also got 3rd place for my age group which I'm very proud of.  It is by far the biggest field I have ever gotten an age group award in, there were 98 guys in my age group!

Dutchie42

Heffa: if you felt comfortable, than you could've run faster, you lazy bugger Big grin

Had my stress test this morning. My cholesterol is back to normal: from 6.7 back in September (which is too high) to 5.5 and I didn't do anything to get it lowered, my blood pressure is also back to normal (70/125), my iron levels are perfect (average for females is 6.5 and it was 9.7), my VO2max was 41.9 which is better than excellent in my age category, my lung volume is much greater than the graph for my age indicates and my HRmax is 197 (I always use 194, but nice to know there's a margin), my EKG and CO2 analysis was normal till the last 90 seconds. Then it suddenly was abnormal as it suddenly spiked and they couldn't explain it, other than maybe it was because someone put pressure on the mask on my face. Which might've caused me to slightly push back which in turn spiked my HR and in turn my CO2. They'll discuss it with cardiology but they don't think there's anything to worry about.
      And to top it all off, I weigh 3 pounds less than my scale tells me: 56 kilograms My own scale told me 57.6 this morning. They measured my fat % but I told them I didn't want to know, it would just spoil my good feeling.

Anyways, after they've spoken to cardiology they'll email me a written report. Unless cardiology thinks something is not right, then they'll call me asap.

So their advice: over the course of the next four weeks build back up to my normal running routine/ exercise routine. Yeah!

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Great stats Dutchie! I'm glad you can get back to your normal routine...

I'm finishing off a chest cold, streets seem clear of the snow now so hopefully I'll get 5 in tomorrow... I really wanted to make an igloo on the lawn but alas...

Happy  free chocolate at the office day, A

Recalculating...

Great stats Dutchie! I'm glad you can get back to your normal routine...

I'm finishing off a chest cold, streets seem clear of the snow now so hopefully I'll get 5 in tomorrow... I really wanted to make an igloo on the lawn but alas...

Happy  free chocolate at the office day, A

Recalculating...

Dutchie42

5 min R / 60 sec W - repeat once
            7 min R / 60 sec W - repeat twice
            finish till 40 minutes total, increasing speed in the last two minutes. 5.7 kilometers total.

Nice, almost effortless run. Felt like normal running again.

Ayola: feel better soon.

Dutchie
            Run the day, or the day runs you.

Feeling better, ran 4+ yesterday and going for 8 today.

Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

This is my report for the Fishline 25K run from last Sunday. I really don't know how to log it. Since it wasn't measured exactly to 25K (RD said it was 16.4. miles), I don't know about listing it as a 25K. Since I didn't "race" it, I don't know about listing it as a race.

They hold these races on former timber company property that is currently pending sale and possible developmentCry  The property is about 7000 acres and so far all of the races I've done have been completely "new trail" to me. No race is ever the same. It's very entertaining in its unpredictability - I never know where I am or how far I've come or how far to go or how much longer I'll be running - but this time was all that to the Nth degree!  My friend who I usually go trail running with went with me for the first time to run this race. It was so nice to have a buddy, being out there so long and hardly ever seeing another runner. It was a very challenging course with lots of up and down (7660 ft elevation gain and 7640 ft elevation loss), but no monster hills (like the one they threw into the 10K last year). There was a 50K as well, and a number of runners dropped out after they completed the 25K loop because it was so challenging they didn't want to do it twice!

My finish time fell short of my 3 hour goal. It took me and my loyal friend over 3.5 hours. Sad The last 45 minutes of it were agony for me, but I persevered with searing pain in my right glute after catching my left foot on a root, saving myself from falling with my right leg which yanked on my already tight painful hamstring, throwing my already iffy back off kilter and fanning the fire in my glute into a real blaze. For awhile I felt I couldn't really lift my right leg over obstacles very well. It calmed down ever so slightly as I went on - temporarily anyway. After icing throughout the afternoon and evening, I ran the next couple days pain-free; so no real damage done. I felt it a bit today in my last mile, which reminds me...where's that ice pack?...

MTA: really should catch up on the rest of the week too

Congratulations on your AG award last weekend, Jeff. That's fantastic!

Nice long run today Ayola; glad you are getting over your chest cold.

Dutchie, that's wonderful news about you getting the all-clear to resume running.

PerfesserR - 72 miles is way more than you were shooting for. That's awesome!  Did you meet any of the other RA participants?

Puke - how are you feeling? nervous? fit? What's the weather shaping up to be for the race?

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Happy - Yikes!! I'm proud of you guys for finishing such a tricky fisky 25K... Take it easy with the gluteus and hamstrings. The hills are such good training for flat racing.

I tried a pre-interval day on the treadmill. Just feeling out my former 10K pace, not too bad (only 5x400). Next week 5x800. Tomorrow I'll run easy for an hour hopebelly before (another) snow squall.

Happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Happy, nice job on the 25k. I've found that as the race gets longer, the challenge is dealing with unexpected difficulties, and you handled that very well!

Dutchie, the fact that you are feeling well is the key. Glad to hear it.

Jeff, that's so cool. Feels great, doesn't it? 3 out of a field of 98? That's fantastic! Congrats!

I took Taz for a 6-miler today. I was so tired when I got home (after a very early wakeup) that I just collapsed on the bed and Taz invited himself up there on the bed. I was too tired to tell him that dogs are not allowed on the bed. Anyway after a 45-minute nap we (me and Taz) had a nice 6-miler, then I dropped Taz off and did another 3. I think I'm starting to get my mojo back, these runs feel like fun, rather than a burden.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Puke - how are you feeling? nervous? fit? What's the weather shaping up to be for the race?

Congrats on the 25km happy.  Ditto for Heffa, and A.  Good news Dutchie,  Glad you getting your mojo back Russ.

Me, haven't really had the chance to get nervous yet, work has been so busy last 2 weeks hardly had time for a run.  Even worked the weekends.  Supposed to have friday off before race, but looks like i will be working a 1/2 day.  Still looking like it will be hot with no wind, but hopefully i am prepared for that this year.  Not really looking to push it in this run as I have the 100 3 weeks after so want to take it easy (famous last words when surrounded by others) :-)

Happy running all.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

I just realized it's already almost 5 PM on Saturday in New Zealand! Darn! Too late to wish Puke GOOD LUCK, BUDDY!!! He's already been running for hours...

Had a good day, took 50 minutes off my time last year, finishing the 67 km in 6:56.  Started out at 5:20 - 5:30 min/km pace for the first 35 then tried to hang on for as long as possible.  Went through the marathon distance in sub 4, which makes it my second fastest marathon ever, after that there was on 25 km to go.

Body feels OK, will see what it is like tomorrow.

So what is every one else up to this weekend?

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Puke - wow, sounds like it really went your way! 50 minutes off your time is phenomenal! Congratulations on a great race.

I hesitate to write in with my (lack of) progress since I'm starting to feel like whiner. I had to reduce my Wed tempo and my long run distance yesterday, each by 2 miles - due to discomfort.  I think the two medium long runs last Sat & Mon were the reason for Wednesday not going to plan.  Today's a rest day (from running) and I'll make a fresh start tomorrow.

Dutchie - I peeked at your log and your pace is faster with every run. You must be feeling good!

Ayola -  I notice your distance is steadily increasing - congratulations on your long run yesterday. How did it feel to add on?

Happy - yup I'm plodding along with my cobbled together trainIng plan, slowly increasing LR - hoping to get to 16 by late April. 8.8 slow miles (10:1 run walk) felt easy except for the really steep hill in Point Pleasant park. The only downside was that it was cold -5*C i was chilled for a couple of ours after. Today's recovery run was much harder after hubby's pizza party went very late (Mmmmmm prosciutto arugula peppers with homemade tomato sauce!)

As for you - maybe you need a rest week  after the hard trail race. do you have another race coming up?

Pukekura -  Smash! Is that the final training run before the 100K? what do  you eat to keep you going for 7 hours? I'd never make it without food and coffee... Heck, I've never run more than 15 miles and change.

have a great and restful Sunday folks, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

I love a good pizza party!! Did you have some good wine to go with it?

I have a trail HM April 13, so that's about 2 months out. I'm trying to stick with a weekly tempo and a weekly LR ranging from 10 to 16 miles; but how that plays out will be fine-tuned as I go along. My biggest limiting factor right now is my back issue....which is one-step-forward, two-steps-backward so far....I get it sorted out, then something happens and goes bad again.