2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check-in 29 March - 3 April (Read 519 times)

I have pretty bad seasonal allergies.  They haven't bothered me as badly the last few years and I've figured that being outside more and earlier in the season has helped.  Not this year.  I've been slammed.  Peaked yesterday when I irritated one of my eyes to the point it was nearly swollen shut (think Rocky).  Spent my morning at the doctor and then the rest of the day in bed or on the couch.  Monday is a rest day so no biggie, but when I was packing my bag for tomorrow morning's run the wife gave me one of those "if you go running I won't be here when you get back" looks. 

Looks like I'm going to take an extra rest day.

Have a great week, everyone.

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Dutchie42

We switched to day light savings time this weekend, and loosing an hour is killing me. Didn't workout yesterday.

Managed it today though: hilly workout. 10 min warm up @ 9.0K/h (approx. 1.5kilometers), then continue at a steady 9K/h and

250 meters @ 3-4-5--4-3% with 100 meter recoveries @ 0% in between

3 min @ 0%
      150 meters @3-4-5-6-7-6-5-4-3% pyramid
      100 meter walkbreak to recover and have water, then run @ 0% for another 900 meters
      30 sec @ 3-5-7-9-11-9-7-5-3% pyramid
      finished the run @ 0% and added 5x 50 meters @ 10K/h with 50 meter recoveries @ 9K/h
      Total: 7.5 kilometers

I actually have no idea what I'm doing, but as long as I'm running on an incline I'm prepping for hilly terrain, right?

DrPhibes: don't you have medication for allergies that bad?

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

3 easy this morning

10.2 long run on a new route on Monday morning - not bad! I can run long before the office and survive - just wish I had more daylight on the morning side. I started slow (in the dark) good temp, around 0º and finished feeling good and not exhausted. I also had a low mileage week so I think my legs were fresh.

108 miles for March, looking for 110 in April.

A

I'm with the wife - take it easy DrPhibes! Feel better.

Recalculating...

DrPhibes: don't you have medication for allergies that bad?

Sure, but its only partially effective.  The really good stuff (e.g. Benadryl) knocks me out.  One time I was found asleep in my car in the parking lot at work and, while I could remember leaving the house, I couldn't remember how I'd gotten there.  So I use other things (Claritin) that help keep it under control.  However, this time I went past some threshhold where Claritin wasn't effective and even Benadryl didn't help.  If it gets in through my eyes its worse than breathing it in for some reason.  Hence the trip to the doctor for some steroids (sidebar: if you're trying to lose weight, steroids are awful because they can increase appetite and cause you to retain fluids).

Imminent Catastrophe

Yikes, that sounds awful. Is it pine pollen? It's that time of year here in the SE USA, where everything is covered with a yellow layer of pollen. Ick.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

the wife gave me one of those "if you go running I won't be here when you get back" looks.   

I get that look all the time and she's always here when I get back.

6 miles of bike followed by a 3 mile jog.  I'm starting to like the feeling of running after the bike.  It definitely makes things more interesting.  I guess I liked the Tri alright because I was on the website today scheduling my next event and looking at wetsuits and tri bikes.

Yikes, that sounds awful. Is it pine pollen? It's that time of year here in the SE USA, where everything is covered with a yellow layer of pollen. Ick.

Thankfully not allergic pine pollen.  Spent three years at Tech and wouldn't have made it past the first spring if I were.  It's goldenrod, ragweed, or some such.  Once the temps hit 90 it will go away.

5 miles on the treadmill tonight.  Good audiobook on the iPod and a hockey game on the TV made for my longest treadmill run ever.

Just a dude.

Bummer on the allergies dr.  I'm an allergy sufferer too... but mine has just barely started up... it will be worse next month...  Not generally as bad as yours sound tho...

I am especially allergic to melons... I went to pick watermelons once (I knew I was allergic to eating them, but not touching them...) I had one eye swell all the way shut and was very close to having the people I was with just take me to the hospital...

My daughter is even worse (not with melons, but other things), and has to carry around an epi-pen...

Windy and snowy day here... ran just under 9 miles - out and back... mostly down hill out, and uphill back...

Wanted to run even splits, which would have really been negative with the hills... Got a wild hair and came back in sub 8:15 pace, which was almost 5 minutes faster than going out... felt good to be able to run that fast... I'm finally starting to feel like I am getting faster and stronger...

-Kelly

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

Just a dude.

Oh, and yay me... 400 miles for the year today...

-Kelly

(Sorry, if I come off as bragging... I don't get to share my running with many folx... )

Getting back in shape... Just need it to be a skinnier shape... 

The Plodder

Allergies - May is normally my bad month for pollen.

Managed to log 113 miles for the month which i am pleased with, I am ahead of the bunny and thats where i intend to stay. I am hoping to get to 120 miles in April then for the rest of the year have that as my min. monthly mileage.

Kelly: you are the bunny!

DrPhibes: Just want you to feel your best while you're on the road, even if it means an inside day to get those allergies under control. Any strategic med remedies?

A

Recalculating...

Imminent Catastrophe

Nice 6-mile trail run with DW and all 3 dogs. It was a little hotter than I expected and we all got a little dehydrated, but it was a nice easy family run and a beautiful day!

I signed up for the Scotland Run, a 10k in Central Park on Saturday. I expect to see lots of runners in kilts. No, I will not wear one.

MTA: Man, those dogs are wiped out!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

Off to Las Vegas for the weekend!

DrPhibes: Just want you to feel your best while you're on the road, even if it means an inside day to get those allergies under control. Any strategic med remedies?

The steroids always do the trick. Don't know why they work,but it makes me wish I could just take them all the time.  Downside is that if I win my next race (HA!) I'll fail the drug test.

Did my usual Wednesday night group run outside with no ill effects.  Hopefully this was the worst of it. Glad it hit during a scheduled light week.

Dutchie42

Heffa: have fun in Vegas!

Come on Perfesser, love to see you in a skirt

Ayola: you have to keep up with me, otherwise it's no fun!

I can't believe I just did what I did!
                                I had a 12.5K loop planned today, nice tempo run. But because of the rain storm with hail mixed in, I opted for the TM.
                                Started off with a 10 min warm up @ 9K/h. And while running decided to run 4x3 kilometer with each 3rd kilometer on a 3% incline. After the first 3 kilometers, I had a 60 sec walk break to have some water and eat a fructose tablet. To make up for the walk break I started to run @ 10K/h. Somehow that felt easy. I realised running 6 minutes at 10K/h = 1 kilometer. I could run 6 minutes at that pace. Legs felt fine. Breathing was normal. So I added another 6 minutes. And another. And another. Somehow I kept adding 6 minutes.

When the display finally showed 13 kilometers, I realised I just ran 10 kilometers @ 10K/h. And it didn't even feel hard. How's that possible? Ofcourse, TM running always feels easier to me. I'm sure I won't be able to repeat this out on the road.

I have no idea how to log this kind of run, so I just called it a tempo.

Dutchie
                                Run the day, or the day runs you.