2000Km-1243 mile club

Weekly Check in 4-10 Jan 2010 - starting the year strong! (Read 568 times)

Dutchie42

Hi everyone,

1st week of the new year, let's make it a good one!

It's already Monday for me and I did 50 min of UB (chest/shoulders/triceps) and 15 min of abs. I think my shoulders will be really sore tomorrow

So who here doesn't go back to work today?

Crabby: we usually run together

Happy Feat: don't like Winter today, it's very icey on the roads and bike paths. Looks like I'll have to take the bus to work, no fun.

Have a great Monday and a most excellent workout.

ETA: been diagnosed with bronchitis today. My lungs didn't feel right since Sat. evening. Breathing shallow was not a problem, but deep breaths hurt and would make me cough. Don't feel sick though. Did fine during my long run yesterday and my workout this morning, so I'm not sure what to do now. Doc said I should do whatever I felt up to. Listen to my body. Hmmm, don't know if I can hear it

Dutchie
    Run the day, or the day runs you.

Imminent Catastrophe

I do not belong in that category. I am starting the year weak and slow and will have to try to catch up with the bunny later. Sigh.

Unless elliptical "miles" count. 

Nah.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

I'm on the right

ETA: been diagnosed with bronchitis today. My lungs didn't feel right since Sat. evening. Breathing shallow was not a problem, but deep breaths hurt and would make me cough. Don't feel sick though. Did fine during my long run yesterday and my workout this morning, so I'm not sure what to do now. Doc said I should do whatever I felt up to. Listen to my body. Hmmm, don't know if I can hear it

Ugh, sorry about the bronchitis.  If you can't hear your body, you must be fine Smile.  Hope you feel better!  Are you coughing a lot during your workouts?

I'm trying to sprint out ahead of the bunny.  Maybe then I can just keep that furry nuisance in my rear view mirror.  I'm getting used to running in cold (for Atlanta) weather.  20F for my last 2 runs - at least the only ice is on the lake.  I had to go and buy cold weather gear so I could run though! 

I'm Eric, the guy who runs to keep his sanity.

Dutchie42

Nope, no coughing during workouts or running. Unless I take a deep breath. I think I'll just hop on the TM tomorrow for an easy run and see how it feels. I could always hop off again and have coffee and post stupid things on all threads cause I'm bored Or would that make me a troll?

Dutchie

HappyFeat

Dutchie: Bronchitis! WTF? Hope you recover from that quickly. The right antibiotics should take care of that. I've only had it once a number of years ago and it didn't stop me running. The medicine made me feel worse than the illness.

I know that bus routine. I did that last year for a couple weeks when we had snow. It gets old, but it's a relief not to have to sweat the drive. I had a near-miss going uphill with an SUV doing a 360 right at me a couple years ago, and sometimes I still get a bit nervous driving in winter at that location.

PerfessorRuss: What are the details on your leg pains? Seems like a lot of folks are starting out the year with hamstring problems. Is that it?  (I apologize if you've explained the problem in a prior post, but I didn't see it.)

Today will be my "skip running/work out with weights" day.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Unless elliptical "miles" count. 

Nah.

I've struggled with that question before myself.  I have been counting elliptical as running miles, but not walking or stairclimber.  I guess it's like being a meatasaurus...it's a personal choice.

...---...

Second that slow start to the year.

Goofy in 4 plus a wake up. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12

Hi everyone!

Joined last year but didn't post much.  I'll try to do better this year. 

Weather has been wicked but I've been going out nonetheless. I have started listening to podcasts to keep me focused on them since I am not training for anything yet.

This week I restart my yoga class and I am looking forward to that even though they can be painful! 

Have a good week, all!

Ruth

Suffering Benefiting from mature onset exercise addiction and low aerobic endorphin release threshold. Hoping there is no cure.

Dutchie42

Skipped my interval run this morning. Let the body rest some to speed up recovery.

Happy Feat: no antibiotics, because (1) doctors here are not quick to hand out medication (go to bed and stay there till you feel better) and (2) this doctor, who's not my regular gp, said that bronchitis is caused by a virus and antibiotics don't work on viruses. Pneumonia otoh is caused by bacteria and for that you do get anti-biotics.

rururunner: welcome. How did you do last year? Stayed near the bunny?

We've had more snow overnight. What's happening to our weather???

Dutchie

Imminent Catastrophe

PerfessorRuss: What are the details on your leg pains? 

AT I guess, where the achilles attaches to the calf. I was working on it with the foam roller--Yeow

I did elliptical and climbing machine yesterday, it's pretty good legwork. 

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

I'm on the right

We've had more snow overnight. What's happening to our weather???

I know...I live in Atlanta and it is NEVER cold here.  Except for the last 4 days.  All of my runs have been in 20F or lower weather, which may sound tropical to most of you but is FREEZING here.    My parents are visiting next week and are glad to come for the 'warm' weather, as they're lucky if the temperature gets up to 10F for the days high lately.

I'm Eric, the guy who runs to keep his sanity.

HappyFeat

AT I guess, where the achilles attaches to the calf. I was working on it with the foam roller--Yeow

I did elliptical and climbing machine yesterday, it's pretty good legwork. 

Be sure to check your calf for "knots" and get those worked out. In my experience, AT develops when knots there make the calf muscle less stretchy and thus pull the AT tight, causing the inflammation. Of course, icing both areas will help too.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Imminent Catastrophe

Will do, thanks.

Trey, I will need a Goofy RR ASAP, to decide if I want to do it next year.

Dutchie42

The Pink Beast passed me sometime today. Guess I'll just have to run tomorrow to not let it get ahead too far.

Trey: I guess I'll have to third the slow start of the year.

rururunner: love your sig line

Dutchie

...---...

Will do, thanks.

Trey, I will need a Goofy RR ASAP, to decide if I want to do it next year.

Will do. I'm not sure if Disney will have the expanded field for Goofy next year so your sign up timing might have to be Johnny-on-the-spot. Even with an expanded field, Goofy sold out in August, I think. 

I'm also carrying a point and shoot with me so photos to come as well. 

San Francisco - 7/29/12

Warrior Dash Ohio II - 8/26/12

Chicago - 10/7/12