2000Km-1243 mile club

October 2012 (Read 244 times)

Great job Russ, very impressive!

Just a little 5K tomorrow for me.  The local cross country team is counting on me for the parents team to be the anchor.  I'm surprised with myself on how well I've been running recently with all the other stuff going on.  I'm cautiously optimistic that I have a good performance in me.  It's a tough course so I'm not expecting a PR, but I might have something in the tank.  19:30?  That would be a course PR.

HappyFeat

I peeked at your race result, JeffSmile  Great run! new course record?

I ran 13 slow ones - which went alright after a bad week. No problems other than tired.

So Russ are you going to give us any further details on RDL?? I for one am very interested in knowing all about it!

What was the weather like? How did your gear work out? Were any friends or family there to see your finish?  Any particularly memorable moments or breakthrough thoughts? What was the scenery like? Did you run alone or were there opportunities to run with others? Meet anyone inspiring? Could you walk the next day? Could you even put your shoes on the next day? Did you have to change into a larger pair of shoes at some point in the race? What was your favorite food item during the race? Did you do drop bags? Would they allow a Starbucks delivery to the aid station  if a runner wanted it? Oh yeah, how were the aid stations? Did they have lounge chairs and were you tempted to take a nap at any point?  I think I'd have been dreaming of a swimming pool instead!

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

I'm very happy with my race performance.  It was a 20 second PB for that course and I paced it near perfectly.  Exactly 6:20 per mile for the whole race.  It was particularly enjoyable because my sons cross country team did it as a team event so I had about 40 kids out there in their uniforms I could key off and try to pass.  I intentionally laid back just a bit at the start and slowly picked them off over the race.  All around fun event.  I ended up 13th overall (out of about 800) and 3rd place for masters.

HappyFeat

Wonderful, Jeff! 13th out of 800 is Impressive! as is your 6:20 pacing! You're an inspiration.

Brian - Fantastic performance on your half!  Distance training certainly helps on the shorter distance races.  I'm finding the same thing.  I've just been logging miles with virtually no speed work and my shorter races are going well too.  I'm sure you will get your first ultra in soon.

My boy had his last cross country race yesterday and really did awesome.  He dropped over a minute off his PR and pulled off a 25:05 on a hilly 5K course.  But more important than his time is how confident he feels going into the off season.  He has set a personal goal of making the varsity team next year (that will take a sub 20).  I kinda had to twist his arm to join cross country this year and now he wants to do indoor and outdoor track and is already talking about his goals for next years cross country.  Of course I was hoping he would enjoy running but it's almost more than I could have hoped for.

HappyFeat

That is so cool, Jeff! Very gratifying, I'm sure. No doubt you're his role model, whether he admits it or not. Smile

I ran my first tempo after a 3-week hiatus and it went quite well. After a 2-mile warm-up, I managed 4 faster miles.  I'll get another in next week and then it's the 12K trail race on Sunday 10/28.

I guess I'm over whatever virus hit me last week, although the tiredness had hung on for most of this week's runs - til tonight, whew! A lil extra late afternoon caffeine didn't hurt either! Rest day tomorrow including a massage therapy appt; then 12 planned for Saturday.

What's everyone else got planned?

PerfesserR, I'd still like you to fill in the RDL blanks once you're recovered - pretty pleaseSmile

I peeked at the website results and see you won 3rd AG and 17 out of 55 OA. You did soooo great!

drphibes/Brian, I looked at your log - so impressed with your recent racing and running! You've healed up quickly!

Home early for the first time in months... Jeff is great that your family enjoys the same activity you/ we do.

Perfect weather this week 40s and clear. Runs have been faster and easy. I haven't  been timing the runs, maybe next week. My plans for the weekend - run an easy 5 tomorrow and dig tulip beds before the rain starts up. Still in a slow build up, A

Recalculating...

HappyFeat

It's Saturday morning

I'm dawdling around this morning when I need to gear up for my Long Run (12 miles on my rolling hills paved bike trail). Yesterday I felt great and anticipated this would be a wonderful run. Today I woke up to low back pain, a tight AT, and twingey right hip....I hate getting old  Guess I'll start with some stretches and ROM stuff.

Hi Ayola - yay for "faster easier runs."

Imminent Catastrophe

I peeked at your race result, JeffSmile  Great run! new course record?

I ran 13 slow ones - which went alright after a bad week. No problems other than tired.

So Russ are you going to give us any further details on RDL?? I for one am very interested in knowing all about it!

OK Happy, just for you. I just spent a few days recuperating in Jamaica, now that I know at least one person will read it I'll write a brief RR when I get a chance. It was quite a memorable experience.

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

OK Happy, just for you. I just spent a few days recuperating in Jamaica, now that I know at least one person will read it I'll write a brief RR when I get a chance. It was quite a memorable experience.

Hey thanks, I'll look forward to it. Be sure to see my questions from the 13th  if you need any promptsClown

My LR went fine today after all. I decided to mix a couple of routes together and it ended up being 13 which felt fine. No LR next weekend due to trail race which is probably good. They might hold it on the same course as last year which would allow me to see if I can better my time. I certainly would think so. That was probably the least challenging course of the whole series and I've gotten in a few tempo runs since last year.  I'm thinking about still doing a tempo this coming Tues or Wed, but maybe only 2 or 3 miles so I don't jeopardize a hard effort next Sunday.

Congrats to your son Jeff.  Obviously you are a big influence.  I know it is something I try to do with my own son.  And well done on the course PB.

Great to see you back running more Ayola.

Russ, I will read you race report too, so that makes at least two of us.

Another 13 miler Happy.  Sounds like that is getting a bit easy for you.

Me, well it was a holiday weekend here in NZ, and as per usual, the weather was crap.  Managed a 9 km run on Saturday before the weather packed in.  Then on Sunday it was torrential rain all day, spent the morning avoiding going out, making excuses, promising to go out on Monday instead.....you know the story.  Anyway the DW made we go.  Decided to do the first 24 km of block run.  The wife promised to head out in the car in two hours and pick me up.  So I got a thermal on, then my running shirt, then a jacket, then a hi-viz vest - still cold, but once I got moving it was OK.  Started running at my 2 hour long run pace, thinking I will just guts out the last 4 or so km. Had one water bottle, which I re-filled at 8 km.

Started to get a little bit concerned when I went past 25, then 26, 27 28 km etc and still no sign of my DW.  Was worried as the weather had really packed it in and it was not great for driving - plus no cell phone coverage.  I decided to pull pin at 32 km and get some shelter at the town hall of a village I was running through.  Just then DW comes around the corner.  She was sure I said a 3 hour run.........so my objective for the weekend was achieved, even if I didn't want to. :-)

Hope every one had a good weekend.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Two people!

MTA - 3 people - counting skills lacking!

Recalculating...

Two people!

Make that four

New Orleans Marathon - 2/24/2013  4:16:32

Kentucky Derby Festival Marathon - 4/27/2013 4:09:56 PR!

Honolulu Marathon - 12/8/2013

Great story Puke.  I think DW knew what she was doing.

I did my first long run of my Boston training schedule on Sunday.  I'm trying out a new (to me) training plan that basically calls for almost all easy running with one quality run per week which is your long run.  The only speed you do is 2/3 of your long run at MP.  It sounds easy but it was not easy in practice.  Maybe my projected MP is a little aggressive.