2000Km-1243 mile club

July (Read 16 times)

It's July people, where are ya all?

Continuing my buildup to ultras in September and October.  Mostly biking and running.  Just getting used to doing exercise in an already fatigued state again.

For a bit of fun on Sunday I took the son orienteering.  Loads of fun with hills and mud, but also lots of sunshine in the middle of our winter.

Happy running all.

“Attitude is the Difference Between an Ordeal and an Adventure”

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

One week out from Tahoe. I'm heading out there on Monday to get a few days at altitude. One week from tonight I will not be sleeping. Nor the next night!

"Able to function despite imminent catastrophe"

"To obtain the air that angels breathe you must come to Tahoe"--Mark Twain

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

√ Javelina Jundred Jalloween 2015

Cruel Jewel 50 mile May 2016

Western States 100 June 2016

HappyFeat

Safe travels, Russ.  What beautiful scenery you're heading for! Are you staying at a house/cabin/motel/hotel? Do you know other entrants to visit with there?

As for me, I'm pushing my envelope (what's that mean anyway??? originally)  and giving 18 miles a go for tomorrow's LR.  I don't feel tip-top going into the venture, but that's probably expecting too much...out of life.  I'm so frustrated about not being able to get my pace up due to all my setbacks. Since I can do "long and slow", that's what I'm going to do right now.  I'll report back after.

Puke: sounds like a fun outing with your son....memories in the making right there.  Good luck with your ultra-training.

Saturday evening update:  LR this morning went fine. I made a rookie mistake and pushed the pace in the last two miles. This of course led to leg cramps....won't do that again. IRC though: sunny, 70F, with a cool breeze for most of the run. I was actually a bit chilly doing my cooldown walk. What more could I ask for?  DH rode his bike to and fro on the route and carried an extra water bottle for me which I appreciated ... never knew water could taste so good as at the end of 18 miles!Big grin

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

29 km - great job Happy. And I thought you were supposed to push it in the last 2 km :-)

didn't get out for a run on Saturday. Daughter gave us a crap nights sleep and it was DWs birthday so thought I had better give her some attention. Had visitors and ended up having few too many beers. So only managed 11 km today. Probably go for 20 tomorrow.

Good luck for next week Russ. I am hoping to do 100 miles on the track. Must be unbelievably hard to do that on the trails.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

HappyFeat

Well okay then, Puke, maybe I'll try it again Joking It can be a measure of my progress when I can get it done without blowing up.  There are two small, but challenging, hills right before those last 2 miles and I had to walk one; so I should have known better than to push the pace. I was just so glad to be done with the hills and I don't especially like the end of that route, so I think I just wanted to be done faster. You're right though, I've read that a faster pace at the end of the LR is a good training technique. I felt perfectly fine after - not tired or sore the rest of the day except for the right glute. Same goes for today. So - a milestone day - farthest I've ever run.  We had ice cream to celebrate.

Hope you get some solid sleep tonight Puke (last night, now?) and that your daughter is feeling better. Happy B-day to your wife!

Phew!, I finally passed the rabbit!

That's good enough for July, now I'll take a rest for the rest of the month... Or maybe not.

I may enter a 12km trail race on the 27th (or I may go to the beach that weekend instead. It depends on DW). Also, there will be two convenient marathons in October and I'd like to shape up to run one of them at least. So, I'm planning on increasing the frequency and mileage of my long runs. We'll see.

Good running, everybody!

HappyFeat

You have such a relaxed attitude towards running, Ze!  I'm glad you finally passed the bunny - congratulations on that!

Thanks, Happy.

Well, I'm too old and too undisciplined not to be relaxed about running... And, regarding that weekend, I can also run at the beach, so...

But I'd really like to be relaxed about running for 50 or 100km. Probably, one has to be very, very serious about running in order to complete such distances... If so, I'm afraid they're beyond my reach. (But it doesn't matter, I'll still be trying... In a relaxed sort of way.)

Thanks again and good running!

Ze

Imminent Catastrophe

Good luck for next week Russ. I am hoping to do 100 miles on the track. Must be unbelievably hard to do that on the trails.

Thanks! I actually would rather do it on trails, I think. Mentally easier.

I went for a little run here at South Lake Tahoe and could really feel the altitude, I hope a few days out here will help. Happy, I'm staying at a ski resort timeshare, it's at 7600 ft. My wife and a friend are crewing me and I found a pacer for the dark hours from 50-80. My only worry is my right achilles which has been bothering me a bit. That, and mountain lions.

If anyone's interested there will be a live webcast at http://www.ultralive.net/trt100/webcast.php. I'm supposed to be number 678 (The site has the wrong number for me but should be corrected by Saturday). Saturday 5 a.m. PDT, and the cool thing is that it's a full moon and on the 44th anniversary of the first moon landing. I hope it's bright enough that I can switch off my headlamp occasionally!

"The most common question from potential entrants is 'I do not know if I can do this' to which I usually answer, 'that's the whole point'.--Paul Charteris, Tarawera Ultramarathon RD.

Thanks! I actually would rather do it on trails, I think. Mentally easier.

You are not wrong there

Saturday 5 a.m. PDT, and the cool thing is that it's a full moon and on the 44th anniversary of the first moon landing. I hope it's bright enough that I can switch off my headlamp occasionally!

The best think about Tarawera this year was running in the dark and being able to stop running, switch off my headlamp and stare at the glow worms. Surreal.  Running under a full moon is going to be awesome.

Good to see you ahead of the bunny Ze

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Can't be long to the start. Good luck Russ.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Imminent Catastrophe

The best think about Tarawera this year was running in the dark and being able to stop running, switch off my headlamp and stare at the glow worms. Surreal.  Running under a full moon is going to be awesome.

That's about the coolest thing I've ever heard.

HappyFeat

Can't be long to the start. Good luck Russ.

I just checked (again) on his progress.  He's doing fantastic!  If I read it right,at mile 67,  he is currently 24 out of 198 runners!!!!!!! At the first checkpoint or so, he was 155; so he's moved up dramatically.  Sending positive thoughts for strong legs and sure feet in the dark now.

Yep been following him too  Doing awesome. ONLY 32.5 miles to go. But I think there might be a big hill in the way. Keep it up russ.

Fast 7 km for me yesterday followed by a 25 km cruise with the daughter in the buggy. Legs a bit tired though. And at one stage this afternoon I stood up and my legs felt really shaky. Was a bit worried then realised it was an earthquake. Well never feel earthquakes where we live. Turns out we have had a big one in the NZ capital. Sounds like a bit of damage but nothing too serious.

MTA Just checked on Russ again and they have him at 67.5 miles after 20:48 and he is in 106th place which is still pretty damn good.

Goals 2016

Do stuff

Home from vacation and checking in on the Perfesser, only 15 miles to go!

Recalculating...